PDA

View Full Version : newbie with a few GUI questions, and exporting questions

jwestb1
11-15-2011, 10:00 PM
hello. I am a Maya user, very new to Lightwave as of yesterday. I downloaded the Mac version as a trial. I am trying to build a few seashells for a game environment. I am having some trouble adjusting to the interface/workflow and have really messed up the GUI. A few questions:

1. I clicked the show/hide menu top left and now the entire menu is hidden. How to reset so that it returns and the GUI is back to its default state? Key command? :help: (Mac OS)

2. Before I hid my menu (grr!) I was using the multiply>extend>more>seashell, and accidentally closed the floating palette. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to reset the GUI to a standard, which may(?) bring back that menu too(???). :help: for seashells

3. When I am done with the modeling I need to export to fbx or obj. Will I be able to do this with the discovery mode version of Lightwave? Or is there another format Maya can accept. I think it takes Lightwave, but I can't test this, because all my menus are hidden. I am usually much more competent than this!

:)

jeric_synergy
11-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Hmmm, I'm not familiar with the mac, BUT on Windows "ALT+F10" brings up the Menu Configuration Editor, and , believe or not, I use the Search function in that to track down commands I rarely use.

So, that showed me where HIDE TOOL BAR is (I searched for "hide"), and then looking at the button I could see "ALT+F2" is the hotkey for it. (I could have looked for the hotkey directly by using "ALT+F9", which invokes the hotkey editor.)

I hope this shows you how to fish in LW, and didn't just hand you a fish sandwich. >8^)

jwestb1
11-15-2011, 10:48 PM
This is so helpful thank you! I am happy to report my menu has returned as per your instruction. Now I am looking at the "Configure Menus" window, and have searched for "seashells" (sorry this is probably an annoying feature), and see it (seashell) listed in left column under "Create." Before I start clicking and dragging, how do I go about properly re-establishing this plugin/menu option (I dont know if it is actually a plugin)... Thanks again! Jessica

jwestb1
11-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Also, btw, those key commands are a-ok with Mac alt-fn

jeric_synergy
11-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Seashells, which IIRC is a plugin, is not apparently on my machine. However, I believe you are referring to the NUMERIC PANEL, which is a key to using Modeler effectively.

If you don't see a window/panel titled "Numeric" floating around, try hitting "n" (lowercase n). Once you find it, it should change to suit whatever tool is currently active.

WAIT, Oh, I see what you mean, ok: In the Menu Configure Editor, once you SEARCH and locate something in the left menu, you can use FIND to locate it in the right menu. The right menu IS the current state of your menu system. If FIND doesn't find a highlighted tool from the left column, it isn't in your menus (try multiple times). If it's not in your menus, just drag it over and put it somewhere you'll be able to remember.

WALLAH!

jwestb1
11-16-2011, 06:32 AM
Hello and THANK YOU for helping again. This makes my day. I can see all the tools, now I can learn to use them. :)

Dexter2999
11-16-2011, 06:51 AM
3. When I am done with the modeling I need to export to fbx or obj. Will I be able to do this with the discovery mode version of Lightwave? Or is there another format Maya can accept. I think it takes Lightwave, but I can't test this, because all my menus are hidden. I am usually much more competent than this!

:)

Not sure if the Discovery mode will let you do this or not. I believe there is also something like a 400 point limit (maybe that is per layer?) with the Discovery mode.

If you write down your numeric settings though someone here might be willing to recreate it in a regular version and post you up an FBX or whatever.

Airwaves
04-12-2012, 06:37 PM
So I had a small monitor and just upgraded to a widescreen and I was hoping that the display window in layout would go wider so I could see the tabs but it still stayed really small. I thought before it was just a problem because of the small screen but it is not.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks

jeric_synergy
04-12-2012, 08:56 PM
That's odd, I see a bit more than you, and I certainly don't get ellipses.

Font issues???

DrStrik9
04-13-2012, 09:11 AM
That's odd, I see a bit more than you, and I certainly don't get ellipses.

Font issues???

I get that same thing on Mac. Who knows? You running Win 64? ... Would be nice to be able to enlarge the window. :)

jeric_synergy
04-13-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm pretty sure Matt Gorner would be VERY unhappy to see this, and it's within his purview. Shoot a screen grab over to him ("Matt" on the board) and another to FogBugz, because that's very very wrong.

We've been nagging him about the one you see in MY screenie, yours is quantum leaps worse.

BeeVee
04-13-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm sure it's because you have your font size at more than 100% in Windows (or on the Mac). LightWave is not font sensitive and so the larger typefaces get truncated.

B

jeric_synergy
04-13-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm sure it's because you have your font size at more than 100% in Windows (or on the Mac).
B
I don't even know where one changes that.

Airwaves
04-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Sorry for the delay in response. I have windows 64 bit professional and I am such a newbie that I do not even know how to change the fonts. Is it a windows thing I need to change?
Thanks everyone for your help.

jeric_synergy
04-13-2012, 03:38 PM
W7-64 here.

Don't beat yourself up: I don't know how to change the fonts either. I always thought LW had its own font.

BeeVee
04-13-2012, 04:24 PM
In Windows 7 just open the control panel and type font. You don't need to select anything, and it will offer the panel I show as one of the options. If you are using Windows XP 64-bit Professional, I'm not sure it had the ability to change font scaling, so it isn't that.

B

Matt
04-13-2012, 04:55 PM
I'm pretty sure Matt Gorner would be VERY unhappy to see this, and it's within his purview. Shoot a screen grab over to him ("Matt" on the board) and another to FogBugz, because that's very very wrong.

We've been nagging him about the one you see in MY screenie, yours is quantum leaps worse.

I would be unhappy if it was a change I had made that was causing this, however the shortened names in tabs has been in LightWave forever. However, it is something I am certainly aware of and plan to change on the crowded palettes.

Regarding the very narrow options panel (and subsequent '...' tabs) I'm not entirely sure what's causing this as I have never seen this occur myself.

As pointed out, LightWave is not font sensitive, never has been, it requires an 8pt font for everything to look correct.

That may have been okay back in the day, but certainly not now with the resolutions monitors go to today, again, this is something else I really want to address.

Airwaves
04-13-2012, 05:35 PM
So I got it to display a little bit more with what you guys said but there was a downside. I changed the fonts in windows but it made everything huge which is not great with other programs. Honestly this is not a huge deal but once I learn more of the options I will just know where to go.

I really appreciate all your guys' help on this. Thanks again to all of you.

jeric_synergy
04-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Matt, I wasn't severely shaking your cage, just wanted to keep you on your toes about all the permutations of UI display screwups that can happen, with a nice concrete example.

Regarding the very narrow options panel (and subsequent '...' tabs) I'm not entirely sure what's causing this as I have never seen this occur myself.
Well, there ya go.

With luck, Airwaves is the only person on Earth experiencing this, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Airwaves, does changing your display resolution have any effect on this phenom?

Airwaves
04-13-2012, 08:47 PM
I changed the display resolution but still did not get it to look different. I think it might be a windows thing. I had a 17 inch monitor (I know it stinks but very poor at the moment) and now my friend is letting me borrow his 21 inch widescreen so I thought that would make the display tab better but it did not.

Again, not a huge deal. I can manage but it would be nice if you could drag the window to make it bigger but maybe in the future that will come. Thanks

Airwaves
04-13-2012, 10:14 PM
So it does weird stuff with other windows too but I forgot to mention that. I am almost positive it is something wrong with what I have done but I just do not know what. Take a look at this. I cannot stretch the screen so I just have to live with it.

Any ideas anyone on what I am doing wrong?

(you can see how much of a newbie I am because I do not know how to adjust the size of a null object, hehe)

jeric_synergy
04-13-2012, 11:58 PM
JFYI, my larger mon's rez is 1680x1050, but the fonts work on both monitors.

I looked up "font size" in W7's start menu, and I believe it told me that the font being used is "9 point Segoe UI at 96 pixels per inch" -- under "Custom DPI Setting".

TMK I didn't mess w/the fonts at all, so it should be a bog standard install.

You might update your display drivers to the LATEST versions-- can't hurt, can it?

D-Lab
04-14-2012, 01:20 AM
Hi,

I think the problem is the font type, it is not the windows standard one, it should be Tahoma, at least it's what I got on XP...

Tchao

DrStrik9
04-14-2012, 12:08 PM
On Mac, I've never heard of a system-level font setting. But that doesn't mean it's not there. :) Having said that, I would LOVE to see a user font choice in LW Prefs. A condensed font at a specific size could be the answer here ... short of all windows becoming re-sizable.