PDA

View Full Version : What do you use LW for?

hrgiger
03-02-2003, 10:26 AM
Just curious. In the old forum, I remember having a discussion about how important features were based on what people used LW for. I thought I would take a poll to see. For instance, some people didn't care if they added more character tools since they didn't use them anyway, whereas I thought most people used them.

This is only for curiosity, and reflects no future change or direction LW is heading in, but discussion is welcome.

CTRL+X
03-02-2003, 06:58 PM
Architecture visualization, Mechanical Viz Product Development

Dodgy
03-03-2003, 04:06 AM
Well, I make games, but in order to do that, I have to character animate, model and texture, and do pretty much all the stuff in your list. I have to say, i wouldn't mind the opengl features boosted a bit to show more stuff in real time...

hrgiger
03-03-2003, 04:25 AM
I guess what I was curious about was your PRIMARY use for LW. The reason I use lightwave is ultimately for character animation but that also means I model, texture, etc... So I guess your main reason for using LW is games.

Aegis
03-03-2003, 05:57 AM
Heh! No "all of the above"? One day I'm character animating, the next I'm doing architectural visualization then maybe logo animation - such is the life of a freelancer....

mattclary
03-03-2003, 09:02 AM
I don't quite fit. Hobbyist who mainly creates stills for self gratification.

hrgiger
03-03-2003, 10:34 AM
I guess I should have added, "whatever the hell work comes along".:)

Epita
03-03-2003, 02:35 PM
well, im a rookie still learing what i can do, and what LW can do. so although i am doing some game work at the moment, i still practice all the other things too!

Epita

Meaty
03-03-2003, 03:05 PM
defense engineering visualization =]

robewil
03-03-2003, 04:14 PM
Forensics

GruvSyco
03-03-2003, 09:45 PM
Well, I voted undecided. I bought it initially because I wanted to work on some Anime style cartoon short ideas I have but, I'm also pursuing the thought of doing interactive training CD/DVD's using Shockwave.

kevman3d
03-04-2003, 03:14 PM
You missed one category - Web/Multimedia.

This is one I'd be interested in seeing - Why? As far as I know, the only people I've met that seem to want to know about using LightWave with Director/Flash/Web/MMedia have been students and teachers training in the 'New Media' area.

Most commercial users I've met are using it for TV/Film/Video/Games.

Rory_L
03-04-2003, 08:27 PM
Desk ornament

kenmac
03-04-2003, 08:53 PM
To pay my mortgage.
Ken Mac

juanjgon
03-05-2003, 11:08 AM
For achitecture visualization ... i think that LW is great package to this work ...

Regards,
Juan J. Gonzalez

cresshead
03-05-2003, 03:05 PM
:rolleyes:

well im using lw for a full cgi film project..to fist of all put a trailer together this summer..the screenplay is written and i'll be using lightwave, max, character studio, lightscape, combustion, coreldraw, photoshop 5, flash mx, freehand 10, dreamweaver mx, cubasis 3 and premire 6 to put it together....

it's going to be a long term thing!

steve g

Epita
03-05-2003, 04:16 PM
What, am i like the only person who does game stuff with LW. And yes i am beating myself for being a rookie too!

Epita

Castius
03-06-2003, 11:54 AM
no your one of 5
8)

cresshead
03-06-2003, 12:46 PM
nope,
one of my collegues who teaches cgi at collage uses lightwave for creating games..currently a GBA version of harry potter quiditch match..prted from the ps2 version in maya....
steve g

novadesigns
03-07-2003, 09:48 AM
By broadcast graphics do you mean interstitials? Or TV shows?

lone
03-08-2003, 03:50 PM
an expensive hobby. i have wanted to do CGI since i first saw TRON back in the day. it has taken 20 years for the hardware/software to drop to where i could afford it, and will take at least another year or two for me to become proficient enough with it to be employable. until then, i've got 20 years worth of ideas to practice with. i could really use a grant.

Nicodemus
03-09-2003, 02:04 PM
When I was employed I used it for Broadcast graphics. :cool:

Leslie

Bionic Antboy
03-10-2003, 10:54 AM
I find I use it for a bit of everything too, so it's tough to answer. I'd LIKE to spend more time on character animation, but doing broadcast graphics and visual effects, in kenmac's words, pays the mortgage :)

Antboy

AnaQuista
03-11-2003, 04:18 AM
I am using it to expand my mind but if I had known when I started how hard it would be I would have just got hold of some mushrooms instead.
Having said that it is extremely addictive (Lightwave!) and seems to occupy those dull moments before the storm very well.

Eventually I hope to introduce some CGI bits into short films we have produced.

I am actually dreaming in lightwave now. The last time I felt like this I was twelve and had my first crush. Dammit I have just admitted I am in love with a program....must turn the machine off and go back to my wife and daghter.

Lamont
03-15-2003, 11:29 AM
Real-time content baby!!

PHilly[Dee]
03-15-2003, 02:22 PM
mostly character animation... I don't model so much anymore but still do it from time to time(to make crappy avatars.. :D :D)

customizing my character rigs and creating custom Lscripts(simple) have also been a lot of fun...http://www.phillydee.com/img/desktop.jpg

John Fornasar
03-22-2003, 06:10 PM
Mechanical visualizations, scenarios, and general eye candy for presentations, stand-up training and computer-based training. Render alot of stills, and some short .avi's, generally used in Powerpoint shows.
I'd like to find the time to do some walk cycles, etc. to populate some of my scenes, hopefully this year.

JeromeMD
03-24-2003, 05:05 PM
I work for a PR/Marketing firm. Last year alone my lightwave productions where used for the following :

- 2 Trade show animations for telecom client. One of which was for CC Broadcast.

- a dozen print ads

- Brochure illustrations

- 3 xMas/New year cards

- illustrations for powerpoints, viral mails....

And more !!! Lightwave is by far the best investment we have made. Allowing us (well, mainly me :D ) to create without limits.

It's priceless everytime. Show a client their new logo/ID, they say "Cool... Nice...". Than woop out the 3D fly thru their new logo and once they are done crying, they just say "we'll take it! where do I sign?" ;)

Lalie
03-30-2003, 08:14 AM
I'm a noobs using Lightwave for a graphic novel project with "Les Editions Soleil" in france.

If the're some currious..

http://www.lalie.fr.st
(sorry french site)

JeromeMD
03-30-2003, 07:39 PM
I think you are far from being a noob... I visited your site and it showcases very impressive works. And vive la France !

I am french too ;)

hrgiger
03-31-2003, 08:09 AM
Yes, very nice style Lalie. Kind of Tim Burtonesque/nightmare before Christmas in a way.

hrgiger
03-31-2003, 08:13 AM
By the way, now that this thread has been up and many people have voted and sounded in, this poll has confirmed my suspicions. Before I had a discussion/debate in the old forums about wanting new character tools in Lightwave because I always believed most people who got Lightwave wanted to do character work more then anything else. All, the other things are important also, but I definately think that LW should always strive to strengthen it's character toolset.

mastermesh
04-08-2003, 11:39 AM
but that thick LW manual sure makes a nice paperweight - nothing is going to budge if I set that tome on it. ;)

Alan Daniels
04-09-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by lone
i have wanted to do CGI since i first saw TRON back in the day. it has taken 20 years for the hardware/software to drop to where i could afford it...

I hear ya. I'm the same way. :) I had to wait until one of the major packages dropped in price enough to be affordable, and I finally took the leap just a couple of weeks ago. Since I chose LW based on price, I can't say I bought it strictly for the features, but I read so many good things about the modeler and the renderer, I figured I couldn't go wrong. And the more I use it, the more I like it.

Only wish I'd done this ten years ago. I'd have a decade of experience under my belt already.

So, to answer the poll question, what am I using LW for, right now? Tutorials! :D

starbase1
04-09-2003, 06:04 PM
The message above this made me smile! (Tutorials!)

But my story is much the same. I was fascinated by computer grapics since I got my first ZX Spectrum in 1982. The top of the range one with 48k of memoryt, (including the operating system!).

I came into some money a few years back, and treated myself to LW 5.6.

Self indulgent amateur artist would be the option I'd click if it was there, :D

My route to this was via Z80 machine code cylcing of memory on the spectrum, started doing stuff I was not ashamed to show others with my first Atari ST. Much mucking about with low end packages like Vistapro, (hey, it came with most of the planet Mars!):D , and most influentially Povray. There's still some stuff that Povray does best - I use it for realistic star backgrounds, perfect spheres, and 4d fractals that can really reflect the environment.

It even comes with a proper windows help file! (And at this price, it's not a lot to ask that LW has one...)

I went for lightwave after reading many 3d mags and articles. Basically, I tried to look for images I really liked, then read what package produced tham. Again and again it was Lightwave.

Or maybe I was just impressed by spaceships and lens flares! ;)

Nick

lone
04-11-2003, 01:02 PM
hey ALAN - welcome aboard!

Alan Daniels
04-12-2003, 10:47 AM
Thanks! Looking forward to learning a lot around here.

CAClark
04-15-2003, 10:38 AM
Well, during the day I'm an artist working on xbox games, other times I produce stuff for my own personal pleasure to display on my website.

Cheers

Craig

turbo
04-28-2003, 09:06 AM
I'd really like to see a forum specific to Real Time Game Artistry here. The low poly work done in this area really needs its own space as it is so drastically different from all the high poly work. Any chance of this happening here?:D

dragon108
04-29-2003, 01:23 PM
Construction visualization, commercial, dtp, educational media, web design, character animation... Actually for everything in combination with photoshop.

www.tridemedia.com (Croatian)

Lamont
04-29-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by turbo
I'd really like to see a forum specific to Real Time Game Artistry here. The low poly work done in this area really needs its own space as it is so drastically different from all the high poly work. Any chance of this happening here?:D I mentioned that to Chuck a while back.

It's a good idea.

mufty
05-03-2003, 04:45 PM
I voted "not sure/haven't decided yet", but I have dabbled/experimented in a few of the other areas. I'm a hobbyist, but my main ambition is to make animated shorts.

StevenDS
05-12-2003, 02:58 PM
I bought LW7.5 mostly to make static meshes for Unreal Tournament 2003.
I've started to get good luck bringing in UV mapped LW objects into UED3.

I'm also interested in still images for print.

-Steven:)

99sproth
05-31-2003, 05:05 PM
I use lightwave for everything.

At work, for producing high quality 3d web presentations and 3d vehicle recognition systems.

At home I'm making my own game based on the half life engine.

I also work freelance as a web designer

and I work freelance producing images for a RPG book.

I also use it for producing graphics coursework in school.

And for impressing my friends with phrases about vertices and polygons and "triple vertex buffer indexing".

:confused:

Simo

riki
06-06-2003, 07:19 AM
So what gems of wisdom can we ascertain from this poll??

jevinstudios
06-07-2003, 05:19 PM
I use LightWave for modeling. LW's modeler rocks, compared to many off-the-shelf packages out there. Quick, easy, and efficient. I then import the models into Maya, where they're animated and rendered.

cholo
07-18-2003, 01:30 AM
I don't use Lightwave, it uses me! :)

chikega
07-20-2003, 06:29 PM
Medical illustration, animation and visualization:

http://www.3ddmd.com/images/G2/Eye_constrict2a.gif

ctg23
07-22-2003, 07:46 AM
When I learn more about lightwave I want to do animations and character modeling.

turbo
07-22-2003, 10:05 AM
the graph above could be a little misleading...

I use lightwave to create all the assests for our upcoming online game.
That includes characters, objects and animation.
So my vote really takes up two of the categories.. :)

watch us as we develop ..

- our forum (http://korner.krabbit.com) under the heading of KWIC Development... :D

badllarma
07-23-2003, 10:41 AM
Everything except the comping in DFX:D

Pensart
07-29-2003, 10:51 AM
I mainly use lightwave to make max and maya users get sick :D

No, seriously.
I use it for a lot, i'm freelance "Best decition ever"
And i get assignments from internetdesign to animation for national television (adds).

I only wished that there would be more modeling tools in the package, you know... edges, especially weights on edges like cinema4d users have. I don't like cinema 4D but only this featsure.
Lw rocks!!

starfireb
07-30-2003, 08:28 AM
I originally bought Lightwave for the modeling to design some ...spaceships!
But I have grown, working on a mech and some character animation for a short i have in mind. I use the student edition of Lightwave for animations and images for school work, I'm an aerospace engineer who does most of the basic design of the planes and rockets we build in Lightwave, esspecialy for presentations.

Also, this is my first post ever :)

prospector
07-30-2003, 11:17 AM
HMMM
52.25% for something that doesn't use animation
not counting the undecided or web stuff and the last catagory which I can't see right now

LWD
07-31-2003, 07:17 PM
VFX; movies/mini series/music videos/commercials

Dave Adams
Features/Digital Domain

adboy
08-04-2003, 09:30 AM
hmm not sure character animation needs a section of its own as that is part of alot of the other catagories

Maimo
08-04-2003, 06:27 PM
Lalie

Wonderl work!

Celshader
08-10-2003, 01:53 AM
I've worked various full-time and freelance jobs using LightWave; I've done hard surface/character modeling, character rigging, character animation, photorealistic texturing, celshading, expressions, the works. I've also helped friends solve Motion Designer challenges.

Right now I'm using LightWave for a personal project -- translating my comic book characters into celshaded 3D.

Elmar Moelzer
08-11-2003, 06:45 PM
We are a small studio and we are using LW for about everything.
So far we have done
commercials for cinema and TV,
custom- LW- versions (including custom plugins)
a custom car- racing- simulation (with a 3d- engine that reads LWS- files and relys on LW as a level- editor)
architectural visualisations
technical visualisations
In addition to this we are currently working on our first plugin that will be available to the public. It is for doing medical visualisation right within LW. This one is a huge project and will take a while to complete so please dont ask me for any release- dates.
CU
Elmar

cresshead
08-11-2003, 07:24 PM
i use lw for personal animation projects, teaching cgi at a college along with 3dsmax and also product visualisation along with lightscape...

lightwave is good for all things and does them all quite well...it's only going to get better / faster when lw 8 comes out.

steveg

RCFX
08-11-2003, 11:43 PM
I do alot of broadcast graphics, but for the last couple years visual effects has been my primary focus. Mostly local commercial and indie stuff, plus the occasional big project like Dune and Children Of Dune.

[TOYO]Snoop
08-15-2003, 04:36 AM
Hi all,

I mainly use Lightwave to create character animation, but also for visual effects and backgrounds.
1 movie were u can see some character animation done by some collegues and me, is http://www.nwave.com/hauntedcastle/ .
Most of the backgrounds are made in Maya, but I made a short scene completely in Lightwave :D

Greetz