PDA

View Full Version : Is there lw11 Instancing in Modeler?

abcdekfc
11-15-2011, 12:10 PM
I like Instancing, but is this only in Layout?
Can I have Instancing in Modeler?

Rollie Hudson
11-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Instancing is virtual duplication of 'actual' geometry. Modeler generates actual geometry, was it were. So, modeling instances, versus 'animating' instances is somewhat of a contradiction, I think.

You can model simple geometry in Modeler - in which instances of more complex geometry will be placed (in layout)...

MUCUS
11-15-2011, 12:33 PM
You're right Rollie, and indeed it's a great method when instances are
required in a scene. But maybe "abcdekfc" was thinking about instance in an object?

Example instances of windows/doors in modeler, so when you modify the reference mesh, all instances are modified in the same time?

abcdekfc
11-15-2011, 06:01 PM
You're right MUCUS, this is my thinking.

JeffrySG
11-16-2011, 12:03 PM
No, v11 only has instances in layout not in modeler. :(

There are many apps that have instances in the modeling area of the app and I do think it is very very powerful option to have during modeling. Maybe they will add it to modeler at some point just not now.

I used to love using instances when I modeled for exactly those types of things. Build an object with many duplicate parts that I can place exactly where I want by hand and then if I need to update them I simply update the master part and they all get updated. Huge time and resource saver.