PDA

View Full Version : Some modeler ideas from Blender

achilles
11-15-2011, 05:44 AM
Look this:
http://blendernerd.com/modelling-with-curves/
will LW in have anything similar in the future?
Bye.

paulhart
11-15-2011, 03:13 PM
This is one of the many elements in Blender that are excellent and worth emulating. The video is great, thanks for pointing to it.

jeric_synergy
11-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Where possible, we should plagiarize ALL the good stuff. Of course, it's not always possible: Blender is fundamentally deeply different than LW.

For instance, AFAICT it would be extremely difficult to get parametric objects, and objects w/Blender-style 'modifiers', implemented in Layout. (note: I'd like to be wrong on this.)

Having a "Mirror" modifier in Layout would be extremely convenient, for example.

50one
11-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Hehe, I remember doing that tutorial aaaages ago in Blender 1.xx for which I paid 100 bucks lol.

evenflcw
11-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Having a "Mirror" modifier in Layout would be extremely convenient, for example.

Why would mirror modifier in Layout be so convenient? In Modeler I'd agree 100%, but in Layout, it's just not as obvious to me.

For sure. For LW to support this kind of editing NT needs to atleast implement the Core modifier stack or something like it. To attempt anything like it in the current architecture is foolish. TrueArts tried, truesplines or somesuch name. But it's really "just" more spline tools and interactive patching. It's a far cry of from being able to extrude, add bevels, realtime (2d) booleans onto splinepatched geometry while keeping the splines live.

EDIT: Oh... you mean for bones and rigging (not meshes) in Layout, don't you? I agree 100% to that aswell.

jeric_synergy
11-15-2011, 04:16 PM
The difference is that it's dynamic: the Mirror modifier in Blender can be keyed to a different object, so the axis of the mirror can be animated. (iirc, it has some other tricks too, i.e. kaleidescope functions.) Anything Modeler based is just going to hand 'finished' meshes off to Layout. And we already have a 'Mirror' tool.

And: yes: LW is just too architecturally different, I think, to make that kinda thing easy.

BUT: a Blender-style mirror modifier, for instance, is really just a LIMITED version of Instancing. So maybe I'm totally wrong and Denis could whip one up in his sleep. :D

evenflcw
11-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Well, I guess with LW11 instancing or with DP instancing you can have mesh mirroring in Layout already (Scale -100% over common axis). Although it won't merge the seams between the symmetric halves/parts, giving bad subpatch and surface smoothing.

Sensei
11-15-2011, 06:48 PM
And we already have a 'Mirror' tool.

And TrueArt's VirtualMirror
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/Vmirror.mov
It's life- whatever you edit, whichever tool, on the left side, is mirrored in real-time to right side, and vice versa.
Not destructive to mesh, so when you're not happy with mirrored side, you don't have to delete polygons, just press VirtualMirror button to turn previewing off.