PDA

View Full Version : Getting "that" .jpg into Lightwave 9.6

charlesian2000
11-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to import/convert the attached image into modeler... with little to no success.

I have tried converting to an .eps using lots of different applications... usually I get an unrecognised
message.

I have tried to convert it to an .eps file using a trial version of Illustrator set to version 8 or earlier. This does not give me an error message, but I get absolutely no geometry at all.

I tried to convert the image to a DXF... again I'm faced with a empty modeler.

I do get the image title, but that's it.

I'm even looking at converting the .jpg to a .DDS, then importing that through a third party plugin.

Help would be really appreciated.

Regards Charles
P.S. Just so you know, I'm attempting to make a nice water tight model, for was printing, then casting in silver.

charlesian2000
11-15-2011, 12:11 AM
Wax printing :-)

wrench
11-15-2011, 01:46 AM
Here's an EPS file that will work. You need to vectorise the JPG in Illustrator or your vector graphics tool of choice. Just saving a jpg as an eps does nothing if you haven't vectorised first. Once you've done that you can bring it into Modeler at the resolution you need and you'll be presented with a selection of flat objects that you will need to sort through to find the components you need.

B

charlesian2000
11-15-2011, 01:58 AM
Thank you, I knew there was something I was missing :-)

wrench
11-15-2011, 04:46 AM
Hope you don't mind that I didn't give you the lwo? ;)

B

jeric_synergy
11-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Yeah: an EPS can contain bitmaps, but that doesn't help at all.

FWIW, the Autotrace function in AI seems to work very well. Remember to save in the AI8 version or LWM won't recognize it (iirc).

---Although, usually I export a PATH from PShop. Just a habit I should break. I'm just more comfortable in PS than AI.

charlesian2000
11-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Hope you don't mind that I didn't give you the lwo? ;)

B

Of course not, there's a little bit of fiddling to do to make if work for the wax printer, but it's the home stretch.

Seriously thanks :-)