PDA

View Full Version : organic curves meeting hard edges

Luckysevens
10-15-2003, 12:27 PM
Iím fairly new to lightwave and 3d modeling in general, so this question may seem a little stupid but here goes. Iím trying to model an adjustable crescent wrench. I was modeling it to be subpathced as its mostly curves, but now Iíve gotten to the to top an realize there are some parts that need to be hard edges. Whatís the best way I can keep more organic curves but have some end in hard 90 degree (or close to it) corners. Iíd appreciate any help.

thekho
10-15-2003, 01:44 PM
Using Weight with Subpatch Weight Map. And you need to have your viewport rendering title bar set to Weight Shade which you can see blue or red. Blue is smooth and Red is sharpen when you click and drag a point or polygon to the left or right.

riki
10-15-2003, 06:18 PM
There's a few different ways to do it, maybe post a pix with a wireframe to get the best advice.

toby
10-16-2003, 02:35 AM
A good way to get a sharp egde is to have additional cuts very close together. For example make a box and subpatch it, then make a horizontal slice at the top of the box, just a hair below the points at the top corners. This still gives you a realistic sharp edge, unlike a plain geometry-edge which is perfect beyond realism.

Luckysevens
10-16-2003, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the info, I havent had much time to really work on it, but I've played a little with both the subpatch maps and increasing the geometry with fine cuts. Either seams like it will work but the weight maps seam a little cleaner and easier. Again thanks for the advice.