PDA

View Full Version : AVI Proxies

cholo
10-15-2003, 11:06 AM
I have had this question for a while and thought of posting it in case someone found an answer to it...

When you render clips in external applications as avi files and select the RTV uncompressed codec the file usually saves out as a small proxy AVI file and a second RTV file is created which is referenced to by the original AVI. This is very helpful as it allows RTV files to be imported into virtually any program that handles AVI files. Now my question is this... is there a way to create one of these AVI file proxies for already existing RTV files WITHOUT rerendering the entire clip (thus duplicating it's HDD use) so that I can bring existing RTV files into programs such as Windows Media Encoder, etc...

Hope anyone out there knows a way to accomplish this.

:)

videoguy
10-15-2003, 12:11 PM
in toaster edit when you save a project go to file save as and in the dtop down menu in the file format choose avi and it save out a wrapper file that just points to the rtvs on the hard drive and wrapps them in an avi hedder, these files are reall small a recent one i did for a 40 minute project was 5 megs

johnq
10-15-2003, 08:48 PM
As someone pointed out to me in another thread, the VT3 avi wrapper uses compressed audio and some applications (for example Vegas 4 and Premiere 6.5) will have problems with these avi's. In some cases, you might be able to load a separate .wav audio render from VT3 Edit.

John

bradl
10-16-2003, 09:27 PM
[useless comment removed]

johnq
10-16-2003, 09:49 PM
I'm talking about the avi wrappper (i.e., pointer) files. If I bring one into Vegas 4, the video comes in fine, but the audio is reduced to a few frames of garbage. Attempting to bring a VT3 avi pointer into P6.5 immediately crashes the program. I was told the reason is that the audio is treated as a compressed file in the VT3 avi wrapper.

John

irfan
11-17-2003, 11:00 PM
So, just to understand this fully, is it necessary to create a TEd project to export an avi?

What happens if I need to convert an RTV to a mastering quality MPEG-2 file for a DVD? Do I create a simple TEd project and save it as an avi (which is what I'm doing right now)? Or is there a faster way that doesn't involve using TEd.

Thanks in advance,

Irfan

Paul Lara
11-18-2003, 08:00 AM
If it's a single file, then just right click in File Bin and choose "Render Selected..."

irfan
11-18-2003, 10:08 AM
Thanks Paul

Irfan