PDA

View Full Version : LW11 features video

probiner
11-13-2011, 08:38 PM
http://www.newtek.com/features-video.html

At minute 50 Rob starts to go down the features.

Cheers

JeffrySG
11-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the time for the features. :)

erikals
11-13-2011, 09:04 PM
good, but jerks a bit here,...
NT, any way to upload this to youtube?

robpowers3d
11-13-2011, 09:12 PM
good, but jerks a bit here,...
NT, any way to upload this to youtube?

That is planned.

moussepipi2000
11-13-2011, 09:20 PM
lol here i cant download more than 52 minutes. just when it will become interesting

c5m7b4
11-13-2011, 09:47 PM
That is some absolutely amazing stuff. I wasn't sure if I wanted to upgrade just yet, but I think that video made up my mind. I'm just a noob and probably dont need all this great extra stuff, but what the heck, why not.

kadri
11-13-2011, 10:10 PM
I think the show was very nice. Congrats to all :)

robpowers3d
11-13-2011, 10:21 PM
We also have the LightWave 11 Pre-Release PDF What's New Guide Posted now:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=123628

moussepipi2000
11-13-2011, 10:29 PM
i finally saw the video. hurry presentation but very good !

Example are also great. the flocking Bat is great! also the corridor for bullet dynamics with big lightwave ball ! Like it

Pdf is great.

good work!

GandB
11-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Could you guys think about doing a quick vid on an import of a few entities, and perhaps a minor level...into Unity using the tool, Rob? Using LW11 and LWCad might be the ultimate tool for level and entity creation in Unity! I'm very much interested in that; especially dealing with multiple texture maps, and multiple effect maps (spec, normal, glow, etc). Everything else looks nice so far. Thanks for the .PDF upload. ;)

JeffrySG
11-13-2011, 11:09 PM
We also have the LightWave 11 Pre-Release PDF What's New Guide Posted now:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=123628

PDF looks great. I think I see Matt's work here.

erikals
11-13-2011, 11:31 PM
yes, i like this one... simple / cool

mosconariz
11-14-2011, 12:40 AM
The pdf and the video are amazing!... damn, I don't have the money right now... Time to steal a bank ;)

archijam
11-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Tried to order 11, but the option now seems to be disabled for europeans.. is this correct?

moussepipi2000
11-14-2011, 01:00 AM
disabled for all at the moment. i heard they have to put a nda agreement on the store or something like that.

MaDDoX
11-14-2011, 01:39 AM
The list of features is very impressive, I especially like the Unity back-and-forth scene integration (I don't think that's available in any other 3D application) and the off-axis modeling - which Maya 2012 *still* doesn't have, natively.

I did get a bit sad for not seeing any improvements to the Undo system which is still too restrictive for heavy animation setup work (imo). Maybe some improvements were done under the hood?

alexs3d
11-14-2011, 02:14 AM
hey rob, this was a great presentation of the new features in lightwave, i think now after seeing this i will upgrade :)

can somebody answer me the question :) ?
does the hardcore programm still exists, i mean when i buy the upgrade, is this like buying in the hardcore programm with free furter upgrade ?

thanks
alex

biliousfrog
11-14-2011, 02:31 AM
What the hell format is this video in? I only want to watch the LW11 part but I have to wait for the video to load up to that point before I skip. It doesn't even seem to be buffering just loading in realtime ie. it has taken 30 minutes to load the first 30 minutes of the video.

50one
11-14-2011, 02:37 AM
Great presentation Rob, definitely gonna upgrade after playing with demo, hopefully somewhere around Christmas.:thumbsup:

Video works fine here(can skip, etc.) Opera 11.

OnlineRender
11-14-2011, 02:53 AM
Great presentation Rob, definitely gonna upgrade after playing with demo, hopefully somewhere around Christmas.:thumbsup:

what demo?

biliousfrog
11-14-2011, 03:09 AM
Looks like it's a firefox issue, wasn't happy at all...chrome seems to load it ok though

50one
11-14-2011, 03:38 AM
what demo?

The Demo/Trial, that will be released 'soon' - I hope so:hey:.

biliousfrog
11-14-2011, 04:29 AM
Nice video, well done Rob and everyone else involved in the event. Also well done to all the developers and staff at NewTek. My opinions about LW development and certain aspects of NT have changed a lot over the past few days. I can see that there's still a long way to go but I feel much more positive about Lightwave's future than I ever expected to a couple of years ago.

djwaterman
11-14-2011, 04:50 AM
Yes, looks like I will have to upgrade too. But the first half of that video is a big boring waste of our time, it's only relevant when Rob Powers steps up to talk about the "Features". I hope they trim it down to just be about the "Features" since it is called "Features Video".
It also opens with a lot of old Bab 5 type footage that is just plain embarrassing, when it gets to the Bat'star'Gal stuff it's okay from there.
It's just that its right up there on the web site so people who don't know any better might get the wrong impression.

50one
11-14-2011, 04:53 AM
Yip, that stuff in the beginning of the video is very 'old school'.

cresshead
11-14-2011, 05:04 AM
Yes, looks like I will have to upgrade too. But the first half of that video is a big boring waste of our time, it's only relevant when Rob Powers steps up to talk about the "Features". I hope they trim it down to just be about the "Features" since it is called "Features Video".
It also opens with a lot of old Bab 5 type footage that is just plain embarrassing, when it gets to the Bat'star'Gal stuff it's okay from there.
It's just that its right up there on the web site so people who don't know any better might get the wrong impression.

well they are showing the long history of lightwave being involved in tv shows so i'm really happy they show Babylon 5 as it was a really cool show in the 90's. I would have also liked to have seen some roughnecks in there too!....or did i miss that?

motivalex
11-14-2011, 05:31 AM
Excellent and I enjoyed the history stuff and discussion. Nice to see Newtek do such a professional event. Based on what I have seen and if the 30 day trial when released works well for me, I will seriously consider upgrading 9.6.

Cageman
11-14-2011, 05:38 AM
well they are showing the long history of lightwave being involved in tv shows so i'm really happy they show Babylon 5 as it was a really cool show in the 90's. I would have also liked to have seen some roughnecks in there too!....or did i miss that?

Roughnecks was a full CG show, so it wouldn't fit into VFX Minds... the panel was about Visual effects, not CGI-movies/series. :)

tuomas
11-14-2011, 05:40 AM
Excellent video, no question about it. Please keep this up NewTek.

A quick rundown on how many people are working on Iron Sky. There's currently five LW guys crunching away doing final shots, three Maya people doing some modeling, rigging and dynamics stuff, four compositors and one awesome matte painter making it all look shiny. We're all working like mad here at Tampere, hoping to deliver a great film for you all :)

50one
11-14-2011, 05:50 AM

A quick rundown on how many people are working on Iron Sky. There's currently five LW guys crunching away doing final shots, three Maya people doing some modeling, rigging and dynamics stuff, four compositors and one awesome matte painter making it all look shiny. We're all working like mad here at Tampere, hoping to deliver a great film for you all

Can't wait!:thumbsup:

JamesCurtis
11-14-2011, 08:42 AM
I clicked on the link for the video at the head of this thread but don't see the video of the full presentation - only the short promo. What's the full link or is it down now, or is there a problem?

Chris S. (Fez)
11-14-2011, 08:44 AM
We're all working like mad here at Tampere, hoping to deliver a great film for you all :)

Awesome campy concept. Can't wait!

Celshader
11-14-2011, 09:22 AM

The link between Babylon 5, Dune, Voyager, Firefly and all the other shows shown in that particular montage were Emmy awards for Visual Effects. The Babylon 5 footage shown was the LightWave work that won Babylon 5 its Emmy award for Visual Effects (http://www.isnnews.net/babylon5/info/b5awards.shtml).

This montage probably targeted TV producers who might like to know that LightWave has a long history of winning Emmy awards for TV projects.

:thumbsup:

jasonwestmas
11-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Roughnecks was a full CG show, so it wouldn't fit into VFX Minds... the panel was about Visual effects, not CGI-movies/series. :)

But Rob was promoting complete CG independent film makers as well, (one film to be exact ;) ) as you saw at the end. More up my alley. I Would like to see more stuff about unity integration too.

lardbros
11-14-2011, 09:37 AM
As I said in a previous post... AWESOME WORK ROB! You are great at talking on stage, and keeping people inspired! :D Wish the video was edited to be just the LW11 feature stuff! Think that would be a good idea!

(As I said before too, loved Matt's example of bullet in the hotel... it really shows off the speed and the power of LW!)

Afalk
11-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Great video, outstanding discussions and wonderful LW goodies. Loving it!

Emmanuel
11-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Yeah, really presented, I loved those instancing "things", those morphing cube clouds, and of course Lino's piranhalien stampede :D
I also finally saw why the motion controlled camera is very cool, and where it can be useful. But tell me: those shadows in that realtime demo, were they baked or does Layout OpenGL now do realtime shadows ?

headstart
11-14-2011, 11:35 AM
This is by far the best and likely most solid release yet. The blended hypervoxel implementation is 'interesting'.

Well done Newtek, i remember Impact and Dynamic Realities plugins from way back and the bullet library addition only makes LW that much more unique a tool.

Bravo! Can't wait to get my hands on it.

beverins
11-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Thank you - presentation and PDF are spot on, great work. That's how a presentation and reveal should be done. Outstanding!

Now, please work on getting your sales department sorted out...

MDSPECIFIC
11-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Nice promotion!

ianr
11-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Please,
Would you furnish us with 2 flava's of video event to LW11

A) I had to take another shave while waiting for it to avail itself!

B) A D/L with this long load length will frighten away the Curious?

Dexter2999
11-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Please,

The video is available on YouTube in two parts.
The first part I believe is the panel discussion.
The second part is the features discussion for LW11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZwT3Ck1NBc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLHVZMzjnJA&feature=related

Shabazzy
11-15-2011, 11:14 AM
I'd just like to say a BIG THANKS to Rob and the LightWave engineers. I am royally impressed with what you've done with LW11 and I think you've inspired a lot of people here to have a bit more faith in the direction NewTek is taking LightWave.

After the decision to redirect Core was made, I know a lot of users felt hard done by, but I think LW11 goes a long way to show that NT are working hard to deliver on their new mandate.

Now if NT could just work a lot harder on their communications with customers, that would be the ultimate. :D

Shabazzy

evenflcw
11-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Very nice demo and new user features. It seems you could have had an equally impressive presentation on just the SDK and Python additions (etc) aswell. *hint hint* *nudge nudge*

robyht
11-15-2011, 11:39 AM
WELL DONE Newtek! LW11 looks fab. so pleased you have managed to squeeze all the new goodies into this beast.

Danner
11-15-2011, 02:03 PM
I had read the features, but on paper it's just not as impressive. the presentation really showed how nice the new features are and it left me wanting to try 11 out.

robpowers3d
11-15-2011, 09:59 PM
hey rob, this was a great presentation of the new features in lightwave, i think now after seeing this i will upgrade :)

can somebody answer me the question :) ?
does the hardcore programm still exists, i mean when i buy the upgrade, is this like buying in the hardcore programm with free furter upgrade ?

thanks
alex

Thanks for the supportive comments Alex. :)

As for you question on HardCORE, the HardCORE program is now closed. If you purchase a full LightWave or upgrade you are purchasing the software.

robpowers3d
11-15-2011, 09:59 PM

Thanks a lot. Glad you liked it.

robpowers3d
11-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Nice video, well done Rob and everyone else involved in the event. Also well done to all the developers and staff at NewTek. My opinions about LW development and certain aspects of NT have changed a lot over the past few days. I can see that there's still a long way to go but I feel much more positive about Lightwave's future than I ever expected to a couple of years ago.

That is great to hear. Thanks for letting us know. That is really our goal, to develop great software that provides innovative features which help you get your work done and that facilitates any imagery that you might dream up.

robpowers3d
11-15-2011, 10:05 PM

A quick rundown on how many people are working on Iron Sky. There's currently five LW guys crunching away doing final shots, three Maya people doing some modeling, rigging and dynamics stuff, four compositors and one awesome matte painter making it all look shiny. We're all working like mad here at Tampere, hoping to deliver a great film for you all :)

Sorry if I gave the wrong team size out in the presentation. I must have misunderstood Kelly when we discussed that. That makes my points even more impressive! Wow only 5 guys! That is crazy in a good way. :thumbsup:

robpowers3d
11-15-2011, 10:07 PM
As I said in a previous post... AWESOME WORK ROB! You are great at talking on stage, and keeping people inspired! :D Wish the video was edited to be just the LW11 feature stuff! Think that would be a good idea!

(As I said before too, loved Matt's example of bullet in the hotel... it really shows off the speed and the power of LW!)

There is a part 1 and part two now on Youtube. Part two is just the second half with my presentation.

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZwT3Ck1NBc

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLHVZMzjnJA

lardbros
11-16-2011, 01:11 AM
Please,

I had the looooong loading times too... On my old pc! It turned out to be Internet explorer... It takes aaaages to load those Newtek videos.

Try Google Chrome... It loads instantly!

djwaterman
11-16-2011, 08:33 AM
Time to upload part 2 onto the Newtek Lightwave home page. Part 1 is not going to rock anyone's world. Pt2 is inspiring, pt1 is a yawn. Please.

Shabazzy
11-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Time to upload part 2 onto the Newtek Lightwave home page. Part 1 is not going to rock anyone's world. Pt2 is inspiring, pt1 is a yawn. Please.

I found Pt 1 an interesting watch. I always like to hear the veteran's view of "The Industry", especially from my main man Ron Thornton. I do wish they'd focused more on LightWave as their subject matter though. But all-in-all I felt it was worth watching nonetheless.

OnlineRender
11-16-2011, 08:39 AM

your joking me...ok from a User perspective part 1 is not interesting but for any animator or industry professional part 1 is raw some of these guys on the panel are top of there GAME listen to what they say how they see the industry I personally found this the most interesting part

Dexter2999
11-16-2011, 08:42 AM

I disagree, both parts are interesting.

jasonwestmas
11-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Part 1 is not going to rock anyone's world. Please.

Yeah those guys live in the present, so that part of life is never inspiring. What we need are more people who plan for the future and I think some of the speakers were thinking about that (cost effectiveness with green screens and building environments with 3D tools). But everyone in hollywood seems unsure because the investors don't appear to have a good understanding of 3D graphics, compositing and the technological level we are at now, and the more abundant creative people that are available now and up to speed with the software. That was my impression anyway.

probiner
11-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Marketing wise part 2 goes to the point if you are looking for a product. Part 1 is just interesting,

djwaterman
11-16-2011, 09:49 AM
Marketing wise part 2 goes to the point if you are looking for a product. Part 1 is just interesting,

Exactly my point, front and center of the Lightwave marketing homepage is not the place to put something that is interesting but off target to the main product. Part one can still be put elsewhere for those that want to see it, but it's actually old news now anyway so that is why it is time for it to be removed.

djwaterman
11-16-2011, 09:52 AM
In fact pt 2 could even be edited down a little. I just want to see LW grab more new users that's all.

prometheus
11-17-2011, 01:54 AM
In fact pt 2 could even be edited down a little. I just want to see LW grab more new users that's all.

The marketing as well as lightwave is really shaping up, remember not long ago the 10.1 feature page? when they also changed the whole website, a feature page with everything listed, but without images or videos...that was bad.

The Lightwave 11 feature page,http://www.newtek.com/features-lightwave-menu.html
looks way more better with images, now they also need to put a small text or icon for links to videos showcasing the features fully.

If I were to put a statement out on swedish graphic 3d forums, I would like to link to that feature page..but hey were´s the videos?
Every new customer needs to find It´s way to this the easiest way, they shouldn´t have to troll around the forums o find them.

So just throw up the links to the edited parts of the features represented, and it will be so much better.

Michael
http://vimeo.com/user680656/videos

GandB
11-17-2011, 08:01 AM
Anything about the Unity workflow Rob? I don't even see a blip about it on the official menu page. For guys who "love their game developers"...we still feel a bit left out. ;)