PDA

View Full Version : hard disk issues...

anieves
10-15-2003, 09:45 AM
Hey all, I was wondering if you guys have any ideas with the problem I have...

while working on my Mac I got an error and had to restart; the problem is that now the machine refuses to see the drive where OSX is installed. (IDE 0) it can however see drive 2. I don't belive that the drive is fried because I have seen this before but after a couple of restarts the drive is recognizable and the computer can boot up. This time no matter what I do the machine refuses to see the drive. Couldn't find any info on the subject in the Apple site. I cann't boot up from the OSX install CD either which has me scratching my head.

any ideas or suggestions are welcomed.

Specs:
Quicksilver 2x800 processors
OSX.2.8
1Ghz RAM

mlinde
10-15-2003, 10:23 AM
Somewhere inside your machine, near the battery, is a little switch/button. Turn off your computer. Press it for 2-5 seconds. Turn on your computer. That may solve your problem.

If it does, it also resets your time/date, network settings, etc. so fix all that when you get booted up.

anieves
10-15-2003, 11:20 AM
I'll try that as soon as I get home... never heard of this one before

anieves
10-16-2003, 12:13 PM
that didn't do the trick. I read in the Apple site that this was caused by the 10.2.8 update and it just messed up permissions so bad that the only way around is to install OSX in a second drive and then run the disk utilities on the "invisible" drive... I guess I'll have to go this route since nothing else has worked...

jdavidbakr
10-16-2003, 12:59 PM
Do you have Disk Warrior? With that disk boot up? If you can get a boot from the install disk, doesn't that have Disk First Aid on it as well?