PDA

View Full Version : Google trawling: still not done?

jeric_synergy
11-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Has Google not yet re-trawled the forum?

Cuz it's bloody annoying. :devil:

It's not even, TMK, possible to grab the old incorrect URL and edit it, since what you get is some database gibberish instead.

This is INCREDIBLY inconvenient, NewTek. You've fired the webguy responsible, right?

probiner
11-13-2011, 12:30 AM
Seems like soon enough you'll be asking them to fire themselves and that is going to be awkward... :D

Yes. Forums could use a fix, NT, like you know. Thank you

Reposting what K-Dawg pointed as the solution for this problem, affecting not just google searches but also Lightwave plugin DB, attachments, links in other forums that redirect people here, etc.

Cheers

@Newtek,

use this code in your .htaccess file and all forum related requests will automatically be redirected to the proper location on the server.

RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /
Options +FollowSymlinks

RewriteRule ^forums/(.*)$ http://forums.newtek.com/$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^forums http://forums.newtek.com [R=301,L]

Sorry for putting this so late here but first I thought Newtek will get it and second no one payed attention to what I was writing anyway.

I'm still open for hire btw. :)

Greetz

xxiii
11-13-2011, 02:57 AM
Yes, the webserver should be returning permanent redirects for the old URLs, but its up to google, blekko, bing, yahoo, etc. to do the recrawling, which Newtek has no control over. (I've seen a number of posts in various threads acting as if its Newtek's fault that the various search engines have not recrawled; its only their fault that they are not redirecting).

jeric_synergy
11-13-2011, 12:10 PM
It's been a long time, but IIRC you can at least pray to Google, I mean, get on a list that flags your site for re-crawling. Puts you on the high-priority queue.

At least, that's what I saw once upon a time.

I've been gone, has NTek EVER addressed this issue at all? Or is Steve still running interference for them?

And: Hasn't it been MONTHS??