PDA

View Full Version : Are they the same

sony
11-12-2011, 07:57 AM
are speededit and virtualdub the same ie both are video editing programs

probiner
11-12-2011, 08:12 AM
I don't know Speed Edit well. Virtualdub allows you to edit videos, but forget about clip montage, non linear editing and all that. The simple editing you can do is: to append videos, delete/copy/cut/paste frames, and then apply several filters to the whole video, control size, fps, replace the audio, etc. And has a previewer.
It's great for very simple tasks where opening a complete editing video software to do them would probably be clunkier (changing the FPS, deleting some frames, resizing and cropping, apply a filter, replace audio, convert to another codec, make it an image sequense, convert GIF to AVI, etc)

Hope it helps, Cheers

biliousfrog
11-12-2011, 10:56 AM
From the Virtualdub website:

"VirtualDub is a video capture/processing utility for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows platforms (98/ME/NT4/2000/XP/Vista/7), licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). It lacks the editing power of a general-purpose editor such as Adobe Premiere, but is streamlined for fast linear operations over video. It has batch-processing capabilities for processing large numbers of files and can be extended with third-party video filters. VirtualDub is mainly geared toward processing AVI files, although it can read (not write) MPEG-1 and also handle sets of BMP images."

Basically, it is an advanced media player with basic editing capabilities, not a video editor in the same sense as SpeedEdit which is classed as a Non-Linear Editor (NLE). NLE's allow multiple video tracks to be placed on a timeline and edited together by splicing, inserting, transitioning and generally cutting between the video tracks.

If you require an advanced NLE and don't have access to SpeedEdit, Premiere, Final Cut or something else, or just want to give it a try, Lightworks is supposed to be extremely good (& free): http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

I have been meaning to try it myself for a long time but I don't often require a video editor and I'm comfortable with Premiere.