PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 11 - FAQ

erikals
11-11-2011, 02:06 PM
(moderators, feel free to edit info)
 
1  Q: where do I get my License Key for LW11?
   A: just register product as normally. if you don't receive it by email within the same day, contact [email protected]

2  Q: what are the features of Lightwave 11?
   A: http://www.newtek.com/features-lightwave-menu.html

3  Q: where is the 11/10/11 Event video?
   A: it is being edited and will be put online shortly.

4  Q: what was shown at the 11/10/11 Event?
   A: see http://www.newtek.com/lwemmy most of the LW11 features was also shown

5  Q: how long does the advantage of the special pricing for LW11 last?
   A: NT will be posting info on this soon

6  Q: i want a hold of LW11 now, is it possible?
   A: only if you are a owner of hardcore. (if you own LW10, you most likely are)

7  Q: how do i get a hold of LW11 Pre-Release?
   A: log in as normally at www.newtek.com

8  Q: what will my price of LW11 be?
   A: please see this link, posted some time back http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=110783
   - note, if you are logged in at this forum but can't see the link it means you are not a HC member.
   - if you are not a HC member the upgrade price from LW10 is $695US

9  Q: is there a time limit to save money on the LW11 upgrade?
   A: yes, more info on this to come.

10 Q: is the Pre-Release version my only option?
   A: no, you can still buy the final LW11 when it's released.

11 Q: what is the current condition of the LW11 Pre-Release?
   A: as it is a Pre-Release, some bugs might occur.

12 Q: when is the final LW11 released?
   A: it's scheduled to be released Q4 this year.

13 Q: will there be a LW11 trial?
   A: yep, it will be available soon after the final release of LW11.

14 Q: will there ever be a "GoZ" in LW11 for 3DCoat?
   A: you can use the 3Dcoat applink, which is similar... http://3d-coat.com/applinks/

15 Q: i received the license, how do i enter the LW11 license?
   A: open Layout, go to help, choose Enter license.

16 Q: i found a bug, where do i report it?
   A: http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=1178150&postcount=126

17 Q: does LW11 come with sample scenes.
   A: a 250meg zip file of sample content is available for download.

also, some general answers on Flocking, Playstation Move, Unity integration, Python
http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=1194997&postcount=21
Unity Integration, http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=1195027&postcount=26

 Moderator Addition:

Please note that the LightWave 11 Pre-Release license includes a beta NDA. The area where NewTek will work through any issues or problems that you may have is in the HardCORE forum sections. Images and Animations that are not illustrative of bugs or problem issues may be posted in the public areas, however, and also discussions of the ways the work was accomplished in LightWave 11 Pre-Release.

jasonwestmas
11-11-2011, 02:46 PM
You Rock erikals! You should get paid ;)

pat-lek
11-11-2011, 02:52 PM
8  Q: what will my price of LW11 be?
   A: please see this link, posted some time back http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=110783

Hello,

The link need somes permissions, that i have not.
(I have LW10)

JeffrySG
11-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Hello,

The link need somes permissions, that i have not.
(I have LW10)

That post is in the hardcore area. Everyone does not have access to that area.

erikals
11-11-2011, 03:10 PM
since you were logged in and can't see the link it means you are not a HC member.
if you are not a HC member the upgrade price from LW10 is $695US

(sometimes companies offer a rebate though if you recently bought the software)
if you think this is the case, contact customer support, [email protected]

 

pat-lek
11-11-2011, 03:19 PM
I have access to the "hardcore forum" (with "general discussion" "scripting community" "bug workshop" etc...)

Edit: after entering my username and password, i have access to the link.

monovich
11-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Good FAQ, but it doesn't clarify what Hardcore members are supposed to do if they can't access the purchase area for the Pre-Release. I guess you are supposed to email [email protected], which is what I did.

erikals
11-11-2011, 03:37 PM
yep, it's a bit confusing...
hopefully NT can have a look and chime in or make their own better FAQ list...

i think what you do is go here,
https://shop.newtek.com/index.php/home?page=shop.product_details&category_id=20&flypage=flypage-vmshopblue.tpl&product_id=187
and then click the "call for pricing" button, which will, um... not give you phone numbers, but give you a form to fill in.

NT will take it from there...

(afaik...)

meatycheesyboy
11-11-2011, 03:39 PM

15 Q: i received the silence, how do i enter the LW11 silence?
   A: open Layout, go to help, choose Enter license.

I think you mean LICENSE, not SILENCE.

Philbert
11-11-2011, 03:40 PM
[SIZE="1"]
6  Q: i want a hold of LW11 now, is it possible?
   A: only if you are a owner of hardcore. (if you own LW10, you most likely are)

7  Q: how do i get a hold of LW11 Pre-Release?
   A: log in as normally at www.newtek.com

 

I don't see any link anywhere. I logged in looked at My Downloads along with the other areas, no link. Latest download is 10.1.

pat-lek
11-11-2011, 03:41 PM
I think that the price in Euro will be done soon (or later)

erikals
11-11-2011, 03:43 PM
I think you mean LICENSE, not SILENCE.

LoL, auto-correct sure did a good job... http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/king.gif

jasonwestmas
11-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Enter the lightwave silence!

rsfd
11-11-2011, 04:15 PM
could anyone enlighten me about the "new brand-spanking account" (from the "LightWave Eleven Pre-Release" email)?
Are we (HC-members apparently) supposed to switch to this new account or is this exclusively meant for those willing to pay into the pre-release during the next days?

realgray
11-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Non "Hard Core Members" were able to "lock in" the 495.00 price for a future 5 versions. It was one of the incentives to upgrading post charter membership.

rsfd
11-11-2011, 04:53 PM
^ :stumped: was that meant for me?
If so, I unfortunately don't get it, sorry.

I'm pretty sure, I would be in the "$495,- group" as I joined HC just in Dec'10.
But the "LightWave Eleven Pre-Release" email talks about a "new brand-spanking account", which sounds to me like an overhaul of the existing NT-customer account's system.
I just don't get, if NT wants me to switch over to this new account (as NT probably wants all users to migrate to a new customer administration system) independently from a purchase of LW11-pre-rel, or if it's only needed for those who buy into LW11 pre-rel (as I most likely will not).

realgray
11-11-2011, 05:11 PM
No it was in response to the FAQ that is only mentioning the 395.00 and 695.00 pricing. As you've correctly mentioned there was a 495.00 pricing group to lock in the price for future versions. Been trying to contact cs and sales about why my account is asking for 695.00. Wish me luck :)

rsfd
11-11-2011, 05:17 PM
^ ah! Thanks for clarification.

And: :goodluck: :goodluck: :goodluck:

:D

Philbert
11-11-2011, 05:46 PM
No it was in response to the FAQ that is only mentioning the 395.00 and 695.00 pricing. As you've correctly mentioned there was a 495.00 pricing group to lock in the price for future versions. Been trying to contact cs and sales about why my account is asking for 695.00. Wish me luck :)

Yeah $495 is what I will pay but I'm still in HardCORE, I have access to the HC forum at least.

saikafu
11-12-2011, 12:55 AM
I just bought LW10.1 2 month ago.................
and just a newbie in LW......
LW11 looks so amazing.....but I need to pay $695 to upgrade it now .....
~_~"...........................

Philbert
11-12-2011, 01:12 AM
Unfortunately the price increase happened several months ago.

rustythe1
11-12-2011, 03:14 AM
rsfd, the acount is just an acount at the new shop, if you then go to support- registration after you pay for lw11 it can then be registred in the same old way as you did before and all your old purchases will still be listed along with your new lw11, as long as you use the details in the email you got as nt have already linked the new acount to your registration one.

zapper1998
11-12-2011, 09:01 AM

17 Q: does LW11 come with sample scenes.
   A: a 250meg zip file of sample content is available for download.

also, some general answers on Flocking, Playstation Move, Unity integration, Python
http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=1194997&postcount=21
Unity Integration, http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=1195027&postcount=26

 
I have all the content, the content that was with the LW11 download, all ready have that stuff...

New stuff ????

My Question is why is there sample scenes of the NEW stuff ??????

hello...

Markc
11-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Are the system requirements the same as for LW10 (Mac)?

COBRASoft
11-12-2011, 10:16 AM
saikafu: contact customer support, perhaps they can work something out for ya.

Sekhar
11-12-2011, 11:51 AM
I just bought LW10.1 2 month ago.................
and just a newbie in LW......
LW11 looks so amazing.....but I need to pay $695 to upgrade it now .....
~_~"...........................

Call NT customer service...you might be able to work out something. I also saw Rob suggesting the same thing to another user in a similar situation on one of the other threads.

erikals
11-12-2011, 12:31 PM

if it's not there, then i don't know, read it somewhere on these forums.
try a search, maybe search for "250MB"

i'm not customer support.
sorry.

erikals
11-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Call NT customer service...you might be able to work out something. I also saw Rob suggesting the same thing to another user in a similar situation on one of the other threads.

yes, call them or contact them at [email protected]

Chuck
11-12-2011, 12:45 PM
I have all the content, the content that was with the LW11 download, all ready have that stuff...

New stuff ????

hello...

The 3D team is working on example scenes and content.

Please note that the LightWave 11 Pre-Release license includes a beta NDA. The area where NewTek will work through any issues or problems that you may have is in the HardCORE forum sections. Images and Animations that are not illustrative of bugs or problem issues may be posted in the public areas, however, and also discussions of the ways the work was accomplished in LightWave 11 Pre-Release. (I have added this info to the first post on this thread.)

Philbert
11-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Heh, just got the email about the NDA. I think its the first email I've seen from. NewTek in like 6 or 7 years.

rsfd
11-12-2011, 02:43 PM
@ rustythe1
thank you for explanation and taking the time to post! :)

@Chuck
slowly catching up with all the latest infos, just read about your unpleasant medical experience.
All the best from me and may you recover completely both physically and mentally! :yingyang:

erikals
11-12-2011, 02:55 PM
yes, all the best Chuck, take it easy alright?

the very best regards,
erik

achilles
11-12-2011, 11:58 PM
I was an HCore member, but suddenly and strangely my membership expired on october 31! Now i can't access to the HCore forum, and pheraphs obtain the discounted upgrade. Why?
I mailed to the cs but they didn't answer. I asked for the price of LW11 but no-answer.
Strange things on NT!

MarcusM
11-13-2011, 02:48 AM
Please give me here more info about Unity integration in LW 11.

mummyman
11-13-2011, 07:17 AM
In my registered account for all my licenses, my Membership apparently expired on 10/31/2011. Ok. Was there ever an option to renew this? I never was told about it. Sucks if the only way to do this is contact Newtek. Hoping they do some sort of nice grace period since it's only been a month that I didn't realize this and now have to contact them for any form of 11 pre release.

Anyone else? Still waiting since Friday for Newtek's response from my email to them.

PixelDust
11-13-2011, 12:02 PM
In my registered account for all my licenses, my Membership apparently expired on 10/31/2011. Ok. Was there ever an option to renew this? I never was told about it. Sucks if the only way to do this is contact Newtek. Hoping they do some sort of nice grace period since it's only been a month that I didn't realize this and now have to contact them for any form of 11 pre release.

Anyone else? Still waiting since Friday for Newtek's response from my email to them.

The expiration date is the same for all the HardCore members, and we don't need to renew our memberships.

As for the e-mail, I'm not sure what's going on. I thought that NewTek would automatically send an e-mail about the pre-purchase to all HC members, but apparently not. I haven't gotten one yet.

I just now went to the NT store page and clicked on the "call for pricing" link, which takes you to a form where you can send them an e-mail. A couple of minutes later, I checked my mail and I got a reply saying they got my enquiry and they will contact me soon.

Seems to be par for the course - we have to figure out what to do ourselves.

jasonwestmas
11-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Please give me here more info about Unity integration in LW 11.

Oh is that a new feature? =) Not sure what FBX changes were made if any. Maybe someone can enlighten us.

mummyman
11-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Yeah, it does seem like they try to plan, but don't plan everything out. Like this wierdness that leads to tons of unanswered questions, or ways to obtain things. Everyone is still a little fuzzy on pricing, etc. They should have that all set and ready and in place before such an unveiling. The 11.11.11 thing / meeting was more for the "elite" members! Wish I could have gone. Oh well. Just will sit and wait for something to happen on their end. I'm just jealous of those who have a copy!

Willax
11-13-2011, 04:19 PM
I have 9.6 and have been out of the loop for a while. Is there an upgrade price to go from 9.6 to 11.0?

Willax

jasonwestmas
11-13-2011, 04:25 PM
I have 9.6 and have been out of the loop for a while. Is there an upgrade price to go from 9.6 to 11.0?

Willax

You can get your upgrade price from customer service. Prolly be $695.

erikals
11-13-2011, 04:33 PM
hi Willax, $695US is the upgrade price from 96 to 11...

Philbert
11-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Sure, but it will cost $695. Just go to the Buy Now link when 11 comes out, presumably in December.

erikals
11-13-2011, 07:27 PM
please check out Rob's Lightwave 11 FAQ post,...

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=123618

cresshead
11-13-2011, 07:36 PM
http://newtek.com/features-video.html

50mins in is lw11 features

looks really good too, i have to say.

erikals
11-13-2011, 08:16 PM
@ achilles and mummyman

the expiration date is wrong, so no worries, no one has expired HC membership.
afaik, customer support is busy (+it's the weekend) i'm sure they will answer you shortly.

(thanks cresshead) :]

jasonwestmas
11-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the video NT, very enlightening. =)

mummyman
11-14-2011, 07:47 AM
@ achilles and mummyman

the expiration date is wrong, so no worries, no one has expired HC membership.
afaik, customer support is busy (+it's the weekend) i'm sure they will answer you shortly.

(thanks cresshead) :]

Right...but in Rob's FAQ...looks like this:
Q: What if I bought LightWave 10 a few days ago?
A: If you purchased LightWave 10.1 within 30 days of our LightWave 11 Pre-Release announcement on 11-10-11, then you are eligible to receive LightWave 11 at no additional charge. Purchases over 30 days prior to 11-10-11 do not qualify for this offer.

I think mine was purchased at the end of September. So that's kinda messed up that it's only 30 days for free. So it's cheaper to upgrade from 9.6? Still kinda confusing. I sent another email to the new address in his FAQ. Basically... if I've been in the beta and upgraded, is there still a fee. Just have to still wait for NT's response. Uggg.

mummyman
11-14-2011, 07:57 AM
Just gotta be patient. Not easily done for me! Thanks for the replies....

erikals
11-14-2011, 11:21 AM
if it gets to $695 in the end, you might want to just skip LW11, and instead jump directly to LW12.
(for about the same price)

Gar
11-14-2011, 11:58 AM
This upgrading price seems somewhat unfair...

As i understand it i have bought lightwave upgrade 10.1 two months ago, and now they want 695 to upgrade to 11....not likely....

but if you have 9.6 and you upgrade to 11 when i comes out, its 695..

so why the hell did i bother upgrading in the first place...and newtek CS why didn't you do the right thing and tell me in two months 11 would be available for 695....

do i ever feel ripped off....i have used lightwave since the days of the video toaster, and sold lightwave where i used to work...I have helped 50-60 people buy lightwave saying its good...forgive me ....

NO MORE, unless they do something about his unfair pricing..

Gar

erikals
11-14-2011, 12:15 PM
i think NT rushed that decision a bit, yes...

jumping straight from 11 to 12 will still be a super-great deal though...

Gar
11-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks for your reply,

But i dont' like being ripped of or held in the dark for someone elses financial gain..

I work in the film industry and use Lightwave daily for practical animation playback on set....

I am going to choose new software....i was patient letting all the hardcore issues go away, and was glad to see 10.1...but this is unreasonable..

at least 10 others i know have just now switched to MODO 501...and i honestly can't blame them...the Lightwave base is shrinking something terrible. Its a shame...it was Ron Thornton and Babylon 5 that got me hooked on what lightwave can do, but it now seems to be a issue of what NEWTEK doesn't do..

Thanks
gar

BigHache
11-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Dang, we get 60 days from the final release to upgrade to take advantage of the HardCORE discount. That's a bummer, that won't be happening so I really never benefitted upgrading to 10. Unless I get a decent job soon it looks like I'll be waiting until 12. C'est la vie...

Philbert
11-14-2011, 12:34 PM
NO MORE, unless they do something about his unfair pricing..

What's unfair? You had like a year to make your purchase before the discount deal ended. They have always offered the next version free when you buy within a short time before a new one comes out within reason. Many companies wouldn't offer that deal at all.

Gar
11-14-2011, 12:38 PM
doesn't matter when i purchased the upgrade , i did so two months ago..

thats when i had the money and the time to do something with it..

so if i just spent money on the upgrade two months ago, why should i be paying the full 695 that 9.6 users get it for..

I don't even want the early release...not the issue, but made and investment in newtek by getting 10.1, and no deal what so ever to support 11...

jasonwestmas
11-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Yeah I see the point Gar but business is business. If you're gonna abandon Lightwave completely over $700 then maybe you should move on. Quality comes at a price. I would just wait for LW 12 if you can't afford the upgrades. You'll get morrree fower your monay, uh hoh, uh hoh.

Edit: also while you wait for 12 you could do some van damage with Modo. See I would be using modo now if I didn't already know zbrush and 3D coat. With modo you get more for your monnay! Then when you get your LW 12 you'll be flying with your new multi app skillz!

cagey5
11-14-2011, 12:55 PM
The only part I'm not 100% in agreement with is the 60 day buy in period. It's tough out here for everyone. The start of the year, for me at least is always the most expensive and the time when I have the least available funds. Heating/Electricity bills over the Winter are always hard and this year they're going to be all the harder.

You're making people make some tough choices in a harsh economic climate at a costly part of the year. It may not effect the companies as much, but the solo user won't think twice where to spend his money. And that will be to keep themselves and their own warm and secure.

Frankly I'm surprised there's any time limit at all. So long as they keep buying every update and don't opt out, I fail to see where the problem is.

dwburman
11-14-2011, 12:59 PM
By that logic, people who upgrade from LW8 are getting a super unfair deal. :)

It surely sucks, but it happens in this industry. I was on a job in 2006 where we bought Shake 4.0 from Apple for over $3,000. A couple months later they came out with 4.1 and slashed the price to $500.

We complained to them and managed to get new copy of 4.1 (I think a new license), but that was still $2000 that could've been spent on something else.

I think a lot of us expected to get more life out of 10.x, but NT never stated that it'd go beyond 10.1.

A warning would've been nice from CS, to be sure. E-on's customer service advised us to wait to purchase Vue for a couple of weeks to ensure we'd get the next version when it comes out. Of course, that situation was different because we knew Vue10 was coming out soon, and I think we asked them specifically about that. Newtek couldn't have kept the reveal a secret if CS was telling people to wait a couple of months to purchase. That is probably a policy that should be reviewed to keep more customers happy. It could be something like "We can't tell you what's going to happen, but if you can, you should wait a month." Of course, that'd kill revenue in the short term, which no company wants.

I agree that the 30 day prior time frame should be more of a 60 day prior time frame, but they have to put a cutoff date somewhere. Maybe if you phone them up, you could talk them into making an exception to the policy. Heck, I bought my LW10 upgrade over a year ago and the feels a bit too soon for me. I want to get a new computer and those aren't cheap either.

Gar
11-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Your right cagey5

This is why i find the pricing unfair...

If the upgrade for 10.1 users was more reasonable...i wouldn't have a issue..

But i just spent 500 two months ago...now another 695...

Thats more than a new version of modo501...

Newtek are not helping themselves here...

I think they need to rethink this strategy slightly...just to cover those of that are recently upgraded..

gar

Gar
11-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Like you said, it would have been fair that the CS told us of a upcoming deal and possibly wait a short while..

I would have...

Then 695 wouldn't be bad...

10.1 is good , but obviously i would like 11...and would have waited two months to save 500..

They should offer a rebate to those recently upgraded and not within the 30 day period..

gar

jasonwestmas
11-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Frankly I'm surprised there's any time limit at all. So long as they keep buying every update and don't opt out, I fail to see where the problem is.

Not sure I follow you there. Time limit to do what? Get our charter price? Yeah I wish that was infinite. Then I could wait till LW15 and buy it all for a grand total of $1975. :D

BigHache
11-14-2011, 01:58 PM
I understand that sucks, but I think technically don't have to offer any window. If you want a comparison, Apple as an example you only get a 14 day window and they never give wind of any new releases.

As it's been stated, contact customer support and see if they will be lenient. That's prolly your best bet.

Phrog
11-14-2011, 02:36 PM
I am in the same boat as Gar. i bought 10.1 for $495 just before the price raised to $695on august 31 - received the software in September. However I was under the impression (from the newtek website and postings on the forums) that i would be getting upgrade pricing for $495. I was very dissappointed to see that my price is $695 (and so will be this price for the next few upgrades - or higher because I don't know that even if this price is locked in). I may just have to wait until v12 because i can't justify another $700 despite the cool new features in v11.

All I can hope for is some sort of excellent deal on an upgrade when 11 is actually released.

jasonwestmas
11-14-2011, 02:38 PM
I am in the same boat as Gar. i bought 10.1 for $495 just before the price raised to $695on august 31 - received the software in September. However I was under the impression (from the newtek website and postings on the forums) that i would be getting upgrade pricing for $495. I was very dissappointed to see that my price is $695 (and so will be this price for the next few upgrades - or higher because I don't know that even if this price is locked in). I may just have to wait until v12 because i can't justify another $700 despite the cool new features in v11.

All I can hope for is some sort of excellent deal on an upgrade when 11 is actually released.

Probably should ask CS if it was a mistake.

Philbert
11-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Well if you actually did upgrade during the $495 time then you should definitely contact CS and I'm sure they will help you.

rsfd
11-14-2011, 03:58 PM
afair, there was a short period of time, when an upgrade to 10 was available for $495,- but without a HC-Membership or the "5-upgrade lock" deal.
So it could be right that Phrog once paid 495,- and now has to pay 695,-

archijam
11-14-2011, 04:19 PM
How can europeans buy in? It won't accept my creditcard, because the address is wrong, because it won't let me change the address to non-US ...

But otherwise the new shop looks good ;)

souzou
11-14-2011, 04:53 PM
I understand that sucks, but I think technically don't have to offer any window. If you want a comparison, Apple as an example you only get a 14 day window and they never give wind of any new releases.

As it's been stated, contact customer support and see if they will be lenient. That's prolly your best bet.

I agree. Maxon gives 30 days for C4D. They also often have a sale a couple of months before a new version, with upgrades at 25-50% off. Then a couple of months later they announce a new version.

Gar
11-14-2011, 05:59 PM
I somewhat disturbed that CS cannot be bothered to email back or answer my phone calls.

I am trying to contact them regarding the upgrade to try and work something out before i give up on NEWTEK completely..

Past users have complained about the lack of customer service from newtek, but i have never experienced it till now.

Hopefully they read these forums, and pick up the phone or type a email.

Gar

realgray
11-14-2011, 06:08 PM
I somewhat disturbed that CS cannot be bothered to email back or answer my phone calls.

I am trying to contact them regarding the upgrade to try and work something out before i give up on NEWTEK completely..

Past users have complained about the lack of customer service from newtek, but i have never experienced it till now.

Hopefully they read these forums, and pick up the phone or type a email.

Gar

I'm suffering from the same issue as you. Currently my emails are not being answered as well. When I bought for 495.00 in August I thought I was locking in that price. If the price is going to be 695.00 with a new upgrade every year. How is this going to be different then a less expensive AD subscription? I love Lightwave and hope something can be worked out.

erikals
11-14-2011, 06:11 PM
sometimes when i email a company it takes 1 week for that company to reply.
so... imo, wait till Thursday, see what happens.

you can't compare NT to AD, try for example to skip one upgrade with AD.
they wouldn't be very nice to you...

realgray
11-14-2011, 06:15 PM
sometimes when i email a company it takes 1 week for that company to reply.
so... imo, wait till Thursday, see what happens.

you can't compare NT to AD, try for example to skip one upgrade with AD.
they wouldn't be very nice to you...

Except in this case I'm being punished for not skipping :)

Gar
11-14-2011, 06:26 PM
The price i payed to from 9.6 t0 10.1 two months ago,
and now newtek want 695 for 11..

you can buy MODO 501 for 995.. and upgrades cheaper..

not that any of these comparisons matter.

I am and others are NEWTEK customers, and we should get some decent treatment and a fair deal.

gar

erikals
11-14-2011, 06:30 PM
not really,..
not when NT has a "skip LW11 upgrade, buy LW12 for the same price" policy.

no other companies that i know of has that, not even close.
you probably also read Apples take on cases like this.
and AD, which will basically just suck money out of...(bad words goes here)... if you skip 1 upgrade.

so again, wait 3 days, see what happens. CS is probably super-busy.

erikals
11-14-2011, 06:35 PM
umm,...
since when did Modo have LW animation features?
if you don't need them, fine, go Modo then, i've actually considered it myself.
but they are 2 completely different apps...

jasonwestmas
11-14-2011, 06:35 PM
The price i payed to from 9.6 t0 10.1 two months ago,
and now newtek want 695 for 11..

you can buy MODO 501 for 995.. and upgrades cheaper..

not that any of these comparisons matter.

I am and others are NEWTEK customers, and we should get some decent treatment and a fair deal.

gar

Decent and Fair? Depends on how you look at it. What does fair mean anyway? In comparison to other software packages. . . in overall feature sets you're getting way more with LW for $1400. But that depends on the context for which you plan on using Lightwave. For just rendering power you are already getting a heck of a steal.

It's a crap shoot but fortunately you chose to use a software package with more bang for the buck no matter if you get the free upgrade or not.

realgray
11-14-2011, 06:38 PM
I've been asking for fracturing (and dynamics) for years and now it's either wait a year or pay $1190? :thumbsup:

erikals
11-14-2011, 06:43 PM
you haven't asked for it longer and more than me :]
...especially considering your join date is Mar 2008 ;]

anyway, hope it works out for the both of you, i really do. sometimes it works out.

hrgiger
11-14-2011, 06:47 PM
not really,..
not when NT has a "skip LW11 upgrade, buy LW12 for the same price" policy.

no other companies that i know of has that, not even close.

Luxology.

Gar
11-14-2011, 07:04 PM
the point is to be treated fair...Nothing more nothing less.

I have my opinion, as do others. Others feel the same way i do.

Newtek should address the issue is all.

gar

saikafu
11-14-2011, 07:13 PM
As I say before.....I bought LW10 2 month ago and spent $895...
here is a simple math ....$895 + $695 = $1590.....
what can I say.......maybe I can buy LW11 now not 2 month ago...

Dexter2999
11-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Not that they will, but it would be great if CS had a sliding scale to pro-rate sales over say 3 to 6 months.

Philbert
11-14-2011, 07:34 PM
I've been asking for fracturing (and dynamics) for years and now it's either wait a year or pay $1190? :thumbsup:

Why would it cost $1190? The upgrade will be $695 if you didnt get 10.x in time or if you skip one. I haven't heard anything different.

On another note I never got an email about LW11 and wrote to CS. This was the responce:

Dear LightWave artist, thank you for contacting NewTek regarding LightWave eleven. If you've already received an email inviting you to the Pre-Release upgrade, you can continue on to https://shop.newtek.com and provide the username and unique password supplied in that email to place your order; discounts you are entitled to will be automatically displayed for you once logged-in. These emails are being sent over a number of days; if you have not received yours it may be on its way shortly. In the meantime, please review our LightWave eleven FAQ (www.newtek.com/lw11faq) which may answer your questions. In addition, NewTek is processing your email request and over the next few days we will contact you to make sure your inquiry has been fully answered and supported.

Nicolas Jordan
11-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Heck, I bought my LW10 upgrade over a year ago and the feels a bit too soon for me. I want to get a new computer and those aren't cheap either.

I find myself in a similar situation. :D

realgray
11-14-2011, 07:46 PM
"Why would it cost $1190? The upgrade will be $695 if you dint get 10.x in time or if you skip one. I haven't heard anything different. "

I didn't skip
495.00 + 695.00 =1190
Had I known I wasn't locking in the price (495.00) and a new version was just around the corner then I certainly would not have upgraded. I'm done arguing and will talk to CS. Will vote with my wallet accordingly.

Gar
11-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Hi,
Please let me know how you make out.. Our situation is the same. I will post my findings if and when CS ever get back to me. My friend Phrog is also in the same boat...

good luck, hope this works out..

gar

jasonwestmas
11-14-2011, 08:09 PM
the point is to be treated fair...Nothing more nothing less.

I have my opinion, as do others. Others feel the same way i do.

Newtek should address the issue is all.

gar

There is no issue according to NT.

SBowie
11-15-2011, 05:51 AM
Newtek should address the issue is all. It's been repeated many times, NewTek addresses the situations of individual customers on a case by case basis. Sometimes accommodations are made, sometimes they aren't. These are user forums. CS doesn't patrol them looking for those individuals. You have to approach them and explain the situation before anyone will be paying attention.

moussepipi2000
11-15-2011, 06:01 AM
NT please ! can i have my lightwave 11 license? where i can find it? i have to wait for a mail?

SBowie
11-15-2011, 06:13 AM
NT please ! can i have my lightwave 11 license? where i can find it? i have to wait for a mail?

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=123623

Q: What if I am eligible for the LightWave 11 Pre-Release Upgrade and did not get an email from NewTek? Or what if the step-by-step instructions for the LightWave 11 Pre-Release Upgrade do not work for me?

A: Please email NewTek at [email protected] with your LightWave 10 or 10.1 serial number and/or HardCORE member number. Customer Service hours are: M-F, 9:30am to 5:30pm CST. Please keep that in mind when contacting customer service.

cagey5
11-15-2011, 06:53 AM

Have you registered it? I got my license verified by e-mail, but as soon as I entered my registration details, my license key was there on screen all ready for copying and pasting.

mummyman
11-15-2011, 07:52 AM
Here's what I got from Newtek's email. (not the [email protected], but the other email address about LW11)

Dear LightWave artist, thank you for contacting NewTek regarding LightWave eleven. If you've already received an email inviting you to the Pre-Release upgrade, you can continue on to https://shop.newtek.com and provide the username and unique password supplied in that email to place your order; discounts you are entitled to will be automatically displayed for you once logged-in. These emails are being sent over a number of days; if you have not received yours it may be on its way shortly. In the meantime, please review our LightWave eleven FAQ (www.newtek.com/lw11faq) which may answer your questions. In addition, NewTek is processing your email request and over the next few days we will contact you to make sure your inquiry has been fully answered and supported.

Thank you for being a LightWave artist and your interest in LightWave eleven.

Looks like I just basically have to call customer service, and the wait time yesterday said 20 mins. So basically... I'm waiting till all this "hype" dies down. I don't even have a need at this point for bullet yet. Ug... Good luck everyone!

Gar
11-15-2011, 09:43 AM
i understand completely what you are saying, but if they don't get back to you...pretty hard to be positive about this all..

gar

It's been repeated many times, NewTek addresses the situations of individual customers on a case by case basis. Sometimes accommodations are made, sometimes they aren't. These are user forums. CS doesn't patrol them looking for those individuals. You have to approach them and explain the situation before anyone will be paying attention.

SBowie
11-15-2011, 09:55 AM
i understand completely what you are saying, but if they don't get back to you...pretty hard to be positive about this all..garSure - it's a 'work in progress', my suggestion, just give it time. I think few of us are really desperate for the pre-release for pracitcal needs ... just eager.

realgray
11-15-2011, 01:39 PM
@Gar

Well I got my response. No deal. 3 months is what I got on an upgrade and now I'm being asked for a full upgrade fee. I'm done. Moving on to new pastures.

JEFFilm
11-15-2011, 02:02 PM
@Gar

Well I got my response. No deal. 3 months is what I got on an upgrade and now I'm being asked for a full upgrade fee. I'm done. Moving on to new pastures.

That's ridiculous.
I just purchased by upgrade to 10 at the end of October.
Newtek made me move away from Speededit to Premiere Pro with their no communication policy of it's future. Looks like something similar (making some users move over to a different product) is now happening with Lightwave if you recently upgraded and are stuck with a full upgrade fee.

stevmjon
11-15-2011, 02:05 PM
How can europeans buy in? It won't accept my creditcard, because the address is wrong, because it won't let me change the address to non-US ...

But otherwise the new shop looks good ;)

same here. i used the same credit card that i bought LW10 with, but with no success.

i wonder if it's the card type selection having problems. when i got the 'error' message, when i went back to the payment method screen, it reset to "VISA" when it was not what i had originally selected.

stevmjon

SBowie
11-15-2011, 02:11 PM
I just purchased by upgrade to 10 at the end of October. If that's true, "then you are eligible to receive LightWave 11 at no additional charge" (from the official faq). I'd inquire quickly if it was me, to make sure.

Gar
11-15-2011, 02:43 PM
that sucks , sorry to hear...i am awaiting my call or email still. If i hear differently , i will let you know.

Myself and 4 others are all done with this...i will use my 10.1 and LWCAD to make stuff...but it will get exported to another program from there, if this is newteks policy.

thanks for the update
gar

@Gar

jeric_synergy
11-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Ughh. Confusing. FWIW, I responded to the link that sends a query to CS,
tmk haven't received a response (it's been at least a couple days, maybe 4 max).

::sigh::

Philbert
11-15-2011, 02:57 PM
I will say, when I bought LW10 I was told I'd get the next 5 updates at a discount, there was nothing about a time limit that I had to buy the next version in order to receive said discount. I still plan to upgrade, but it's not 100% cool.

hrgiger
11-15-2011, 03:49 PM
I will say, when I bought LW10 I was told I'd get the next 5 updates at a discount, there was nothing about a time limit that I had to buy the next version in order to receive said discount. I still plan to upgrade, but it's not 100% cool.

That is true, originally there was no mention of a time limit. This is one that Newtek added later on.

I do think a time window is a reasonable idea in itself. However, I do think that 60 days just isn't enough. I wish they would reconsider that one.

mummyman
11-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Finally received the email(s)

Ug... 2 months later. Another 495 dollars. At least it's not from my pocket and my company. But I'm not happy about it! 30 day grace-period is kinda weak considering they new all along the goal and release dates.

Money money money. We all need it.

JEFFilm
11-15-2011, 04:43 PM
If that's true, "then you are eligible to receive LightWave 11 at no additional charge" (from the official faq). I'd inquire quickly if it was me, to make sure.

Thanks, it's true. Just received my usb dongle from Newtek earlier this month from the trade in. - I'll see what they tell me.

quantizer
11-16-2011, 10:12 AM
I have bought 10.1 just over 1 month 16 days (if based on released v11 newsletter), i really disappointed if i need to pay any price to get an upgrade for a product that i've used only 1 months old :(, especially for asia economic which i currently reside.

For newtek notice, in addition of 995$ that i was bought from reseller in UK i need to pay shipping cost and 30% taxes by my 'lovely' government. So my total already ~1350$!, should i sell my liver to get a v11?, because as 10.1 already stopped the development, i would be left cold for people like me who just slightly beyond the 1 month free update threshold(if let say they kept insist asking for upgrade price).

For example unity, at-least they care about supporting their product by release minor version update for free.

Been e-mailing them and i've got automatic response, does anyone get a person responded yet?.

jasonwestmas
11-16-2011, 10:30 AM
Yes, they respond to Europe.

JEFFilm
11-16-2011, 12:35 PM
If that's true, "then you are eligible to receive LightWave 11 at no additional charge" (from the official faq). I'd inquire quickly if it was me, to make sure.

I called Newtek Customer service today and they did say I will be able to upgrade to 11 at no charge since I was such a recent purchase of the 10 upgrade. They said recent upgraders will get an email in December on how to go about receiving the 11 upgrade at no charge. :thumbsup: Thanks for your advice. Will report back in December...

voriax
11-18-2011, 12:44 AM
Has it been established that there is a time limit for the discounted upgrade? I don't use LW enough these days but I do like to keep it updated if possible. As it's not my main income source and I don't have a company paying it for me, I'd like to know how long the offer lasts so I can budget it in.. I'm sure others out there feel the same?

SBowie
11-18-2011, 05:30 AM
Has it been established that there is a time limit for the discounted upgrade?Somewhere or other it has been officially stated to the effect of 'within 60 days of shipping' (paraphrase mine, someone will likely post a link).

rsfd
11-18-2011, 05:39 AM
official statement from NT at this time is:
- if you are a 10.x owner, you can buy into LW11 pre-release immediately following your HC upgrade plan ($395,- or $495,-).

- if you are a HC-member, you have 60 days 'grace period' after LW11 is *officially* released. If you don't buy in during that time, you are loosing HC-membership and following upgrades will cost you the standard upgrade price ($695,- at this time).

- if you aren't a HC-member, you cannot buy into 11 Pre-release, you can upgrade at the standard cost when 11 is officially released

Official release of LW11 is expected at the (very) end of 2011.

[edit]
Steve beat me on this :)
but this would be the link (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=123617) (it's in LW11Pre-Release (former HC) section, so privileges will be needed)

SBowie
11-18-2011, 05:46 AM
official statement from NT at this time is:
- if you are a 10.x owner, you can buy into LW11 pre-release immediately following your HC upgrade plan ($395,- or $495,-).

Just one small note on the above - the official faq says "If you are a current registered owner of LightWave 10 or 10.1, you have the option to buy the LightWave 11 Pre-Release Upgrade." Unless they've been added to HC without my noticing, there are some who upgraded to 10 beyond the point where doing so automatically gave them HC membership, but who would still qualify for the pre-release option. (I suspect it's these sort of variables that give CS and MIS fits trying to automate emails).

rsfd
11-18-2011, 08:09 AM
thanks, Steve, you're right!
so it's $395,- / $495,- | $695,- for registered 10.x owners ( HC | non-HC )

JEFFilm
12-19-2011, 05:35 PM
They said recent upgraders will get an email in December on how to go about receiving the 11 upgrade at no charge. :thumbsup: Thanks for your advice. Will report back in December...

Anxiously waiting. Has anyone heard anything yet?

Gar
12-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Luxology is selling 501 for 595 for 101 copies...

thats cheaper than the upgrade..

Gar

cresshead
12-19-2011, 05:47 PM

my sentiments exactly...so just after xmas which is the biggest spend part of the year..we get 30 days to find the cash or lose the option for all 5 upgrades?

one, this was not communicated well at all.
two, timing is awful.
three, with recent history i demand to try before i buy and not leap into the void.

Gar
12-19-2011, 05:55 PM
I was told same thing about upgrade pricing..
but they seem to make their rules up as they go along.
LWCAD tools is about the only thing keeping me with Lightwave at the moment..briliant tool set and reasonable price for what it does..
Hopefully NT take some notice of what he does at WTOOLS.

Gar

dblincoe
12-19-2011, 08:46 PM
my sentiments exactly...so just after xmas which is the biggest spend part of the year..we get 30 days to find the cash or lose the option for all 5 upgrades?

one, this was not communicated well at all.
two, timing is awful.
three, with recent history i demand to try before i buy and not leap into the void.

You have 60 days after the official release to decide. However, I feel that is a little bully like. Seems like anything and everything should be done to extend an olive branch to those who are sticking it out and being loyal...wether it is release +60 or the day before release of LW12 it is revenue and support. Don't presume that all of your user base can keep lock stepped into your release cycle.

jasonwestmas
12-19-2011, 10:48 PM
Seems like anything and everything should be done to extend an olive branch to those who are sticking it out and being loyal..

But that would imply that NT is desperate for loyal customers. :D