PDA

View Full Version : Best Printer to Make DVD Labels?

Tom Wood
10-15-2003, 08:45 AM
I know 'best' is subjective, but is there any consensus about the top two or three? I want to be able to make several dozen color labels for a DVD that I will use to market a TV program to sponsors. So it has to look professional. And is there a 'best' software to design the labels?

Thanx,

TW

sbrandt
10-15-2003, 03:23 PM
The system I've use for the last 4 years to do agent training and information CDs for insurance agencies without any complaints is an Epson 1520 using bulk CDs and Glossy Labels from www.rima.com

If I weren't happy with this arrangement, I'd get the Rimage CD-R Publisher, DTP 1500 that burns the CD copy and prints the label in one action on one machine. It's $3300 ...also from www.rima.com

sbrandt
10-15-2003, 03:44 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to address software. The combination I use is Photoshop for raster, InDesign for compositing and CorelDraw for vector (because Illustrator sucks) The software by itself doesn't make nice designs though. OpenOFFICE DRAW or OpenOFFICE WRITER ( free from www.openoffice.org ) can be used to do a professional looking label. So... don't make the mistake of spending a fortune on software thinking that it will give you pro results.

The ONE big trick I learned after cranking labels out for 4 years is:
when I switched from matte labels to high GLOSS labels, is when everyone started actually saying how profession they looked and things like ''It must cost a fortune to have these printed...''

And... now that I'm thinking about it, you don't even need an Epson 1520. ANY printer that will do 720 to 1200dpi or better should be more than enough to get professional looking results.

satya
10-16-2003, 05:50 PM
Nothing like printing directly on the surface of a printable DVD.

Models that print directly range from $199 to more than $2000. But it seems Epson 960 is excellent at $349 and Signature Pro (I don't know the cost maybe about $1200?) at the higher end.

You may have to dust the surface with a Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic coat a couple of times to make the surface waterproof.

Satya