PDA

View Full Version : help on christmas lightbulb lighting

monfoodoo
11-11-2011, 10:02 AM
in the scene(in progress) i'm setting up the bulbs on the wires.Glow is being used and a point light behind each one as to show up on the Rat Fink.Is this proper way to go?I'm not real happy that the bulb blocks a 360 output on the point light.

kopperdrake
11-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Hmm...I'd add luminosity to the bulbs themselves, add a point light to each with a fall off to quite close, and add a very simple lens flare to each (just the central glow bit, none of the actual lens reflections). I'd also make the room darker, and use radiosity to get all those dark corners in there, so the lights would look more cosy when lit :)

11-11-2011, 03:15 PM
f you don't want to do other re-lighting, just make sure your lightbulb 'glass's are a separate object or layer, put the point light where the bulb filament should be & exclude the glass object from the point light

kopperdrake
11-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Good point Adrian. I should also have said that I'd probably use a spherical light as well to get decent shadows. Main thing is to not rely on the lights to be the main illumination of the scene - they're there for effect. Use a big weak area light, or a background colour and radiosity turned on, to get the main lighting in the background right. The bulbs will be the colourful interest points in the scene.

monfoodoo
11-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the replies.I dumped all the scene lights,except for the bulbs and building my lighting off an HDR (image world).I'll post some results later.

LW_Will
11-12-2011, 12:54 PM
And you need to enable glow on the Effects Processing panel... and you can go higher than 100% if you think you'll need it.

torturebori007
08-10-2012, 06:26 PM
How do i get to the effects processing channel in LW11 I am trying to enable glow.

Dont laugh.... I have been looking like crazy for this as I am following the neon text tut