PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions - Shadows/LW Vid Tutorials

digitalimagery
11-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Hello LightWavers.

1.) Can anyone tell me what the link is for all the video tutorials that used to be linked to the most recent LW home page. I can't for the life of me locate those and being a newbie they were quite useful?

2.) What settings can I check to make my spot light cast a shadow. Every frigg'n item I can find from the Global Render, camera and Light dialog has shadows turned on and the light is pointing at a wall yet I'm seeing nothing in the way of a shadow. AAAAhhhhhh! - I feel better now.

Thanks!
DI

chco2
11-10-2011, 02:38 PM
1. I think you can find all the LW tutorials at ftp://ftp.newtek.com

2. Hmm you point a spotlight on a wall and you do not have shadows. I might be getting this wrong, but what do you have in the scene to actually create a shadow ? If you point a flashlight on a dark wall, it will just light up the wall at that point.

Hello LightWavers.

1.) Can anyone tell me what the link is for all the video tutorials that used to be linked to the most recent LW home page. I can't for the life of me locate those and being a newbie they were quite useful?

2.) What settings can I check to make my spot light cast a shadow. Every frigg'n item I can find from the Global Render, camera and Light dialog has shadows turned on and the light is pointing at a wall yet I'm seeing nothing in the way of a shadow. AAAAhhhhhh! - I feel better now.

Thanks!
DI

digitalimagery
11-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Yes the second I hit send I knew that was going to sound wrong. I have a flat screen tv monitor floating in space between the light and the wall. Sorry for the confusion.

DI

chco2
11-10-2011, 02:42 PM
You should see a shadow then, can you post the files so I can have a look at them ? If you are not having a shadow it could mean various things. Did you turn render shadows on in the render settings? Is the light excluding any objects ? many variables.

Yes the second I hit send I knew that was going to sound wrong. I have a flat screen tv monitor floating in space between the light and the wall. Sorry for the confusion.

DI

digitalimagery
11-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Stand by. Thanks

DI

digitalimagery
11-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Don't really need all the maps (those are a different story themselves). I don't really understand either the nodes editor or what determines the axis certain maps should be applied on.

Is it based on the direction the model is sitting in the scene or does LW assume everything is X.Y.Z regardless of the direction the object is sitting? Whatever the logic is it doesn't seem to make sense which ever way I try it.

Everything I find covering applying texture maps is either not very thorough they go right to the node editor and don't cover it completely so I'm still left hanging.

I'm self taught so that's probably part of the problem.

Anyway it's the shadow I'm looking for at present. Thanks so much.

DI

chco2
11-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Its missing the objec files.. "virtual_set.lwo"

digitalimagery
11-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Sorry - limit was five didn't finish.

DI

digitalimagery
11-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Ty
di

chco2
11-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Well.. the scene is has many lights, making not many shadows. But there definitely are shadows.

http://files.designburo.nl/ftp/vpr_img_1.png

Are you looking for more depth by adding more shadow ? Perhaps loose the dome light or turn off radiosity. Having both is an overkill as a domelight mimics some of the radiosity settings..

chco2
11-10-2011, 03:09 PM
I'll be gone for about 45 mins and will look at your answer then.. Good luck ;)

digitalimagery
11-10-2011, 03:10 PM
I got shadows to show on those SM icons but if you go to frame 0 the lights point at the monitor and that's where they stop generating them for whatever reason.

digitalimagery
11-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks for your help. Not sure why the spot I had wasn't casting shadows (I didn't research that yet - in a rush). When you rendered the other camera angle it dawned on me if that light was casting a shadow I'd just swing it around in the first cam angle and see what happened.

These are basically virtual set roughs for a green screen shoot I'm doing. I'll figure out what the problem was when time allows. Thanks for your efforts.
Two heads are better than one.

DI

chco2
11-10-2011, 04:20 PM
No problem (didn't do much ;))
If there's anything else, just drop a note.

digitalimagery
11-11-2011, 10:39 AM
How is it that I can copy the surface of a box (front of FaceBook Logo) and paste it on to the surface of the LinkedIn logo and not get the same result?

This is what I mentioned earlier that certain things just don't click. There are certain tutorials that discuss texture mapping but they always work and no mention is made as to what the logic behind placing textures on surfaces is. Why you use X, Y, or Z axis in relation to what? The direction the object is facing in x, y, z space or the original direction when it was modeled.

It would also be nice if in one of these tutorials a situation would be covered when a map doesn't sit properly, why it isn't and what is required to fix it.

I'm sure once it's in your head it all makes sense but when you've worked in other apps and either they don't map the same way or you had little trouble with the logic of those, it's more frustrating when everything you've learned elswhere doesn't apply in LW.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

DI

chco2
11-11-2011, 12:44 PM
the fb_box_face is facing towards the z-axis (slightly), while the in_box-face is facing the x-axis.
If you want it to stick to the object perfectly and never change, you need to use an uv-map. In you case, I'm also guessing you turned the LinkedIn or the Facebook a 180 degrees.. That is why the image is mirrored to the other side. To quickly solve the problem go into the in_box_face color surface. Set Width thile and Height to mirror. Texture-axis to "X" and press Automatic sizing. No Reference object. Then go into the position tab and drag the Z axis to the left and you notice it will slowly create the same background as the Facebook logo.

digitalimagery
11-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks again. See this is what I find confusing. I would "think" the face has to be either X or Z so I would "think" if I made it planar or face and hit auto size (i've tried all of the above) I would have hit it one way or another.

Is the best think to do apply surfaces in modeler when things are sitting in true XYZ space so you know where things will fall? I've always set surface names in modeler and applied surfaces in layout.

Anyway. I appreciate your response, this little tip may be just the thing that will make this make sense to me.

DI

digitalimagery
11-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Seems so simple when you know what the BEEP your doing. Worked like a charm. Almost like it was designed that way.

Thanks, I owe you a beer.
DI