PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to Version 3.X for Tricaster 850 Extreme...

wftiv
11-07-2011, 07:25 PM
:help:I am wondering if any of you who might have upgraded to the 3.X version for the 850 now availalbe on the NewTek website have experienced any issues with pre-upgrade projects in SpeedEdit not playing in the upgraded software. What started with discovering that when I did a restore to my system a while ago, it no longer resotred as the 850 Extreme I had purchased, but rather restored to the basic Tricaster 850. Then I discovered that the microphone preamps on the audio input were extremely noisy and the trim controls made very loud crackling sounds when "rotated". Tech support wanted me to upgrate to the newest version of the software so I did and after many hours of the phone with tech support (thank God they were willing to work with me for that long, although I did have several support individulas offer slightly different solutions). When all was said and done, the noise in the mic inputs seems to be a hardware issues and the SpeedEdit compatability seems to be a 3.X upgrade issue. So now I have reinstalled the original software (basic non-Extreme software) and have to work that way until I can get let unit go for a 5 to 10 day turnaround at NewTek. To be totally honest, after a bit of prodding, Tech Support was going to ship me a "Test" 850 while they had mine in for service, but since the issues centered around SpeedEdit compatability I indicated that there really was no need to do that. I would work in the old software to finish the projects and then send the unit in for service.

1. Has anyone experienced SpeeEdit project compatability problems with the 3.X upgrade?
2. has anyone noticed very poor signal to noise ratios in the microphone inputs?
3. Has there been difficulty upgrading to 3.X that I might still encounter if I have to upgrade myself?

I appreciate any feedback on the issues.

Bill:help:

ted
11-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Silly question, but are you sure you downloaded the correct version of software?
Another silly question, have you tried a restore and reinstall of the software?
This shouldn't happen, but in all my years of dealing with software installs, I've seen a few times where simply going back to the beginning and re-installing will give you better results. Or at least different results. :D
Best of luck!

wftiv
11-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Yes, I did restore to the original 850 using the partition on the hard drive. But even though I upgraded to the 850 Extreme, when that was done, NewTek did not put the Extreme upgrade onto the partition on the C: drive. So the restore, in effect blew away the Extreme features. So today was filled with doing another restore at the direction of Tech Support, then an upgrade to version 3.x. The upgrade did bring the Extreme features back, but it made all the Speed Edit projects done with the 2c restore non-functional. Then to save and finish the projects, I have restored to the 2c software on the partitioned hard drive, lost the Extreme functionality but was able to work on the SpeedEdit projects. Of course none of this improved the high hiss level and very noisy trims on the microphone inputs. So YES, I did restore, reinstall, and then restored again. All with the guidance of Tech Support. There was no explanation why older SpeedEdit projects would not work with the 3.x upgrade. And the noisy audio was diagnosed as hardware problems. Eventually the unit will be returned to NewTek for hands on service. Not sure if they will ever solve the compatability issues with SpeedEdit projects, especially since they "have never heard of that problem." That is why I posted the question to see in anyone else ran into these issue.

Bill

borsentv
11-18-2011, 02:42 AM
Hi, We have updated the 850 to the Rev 3 and now SpeedEdit crashes everytime we try to open it! Our last resort is to restore the system, which is a terrible option. We use SpeedEdit for every production and is totally depend on it.

Anybody got an easier fix? Newtek?

joseburgos
11-18-2011, 04:55 AM
As far as SE, this is even when you start a new session?

SBowie
11-18-2011, 05:06 AM
Anybody got an easier fix? Newtek?I would suggest running the "Oops ..." script in the SpeedEDIT program folder before that. It clears out all of the SE config files, causing any that might have somehow become corrupted to be rewritten.

wftiv
11-18-2011, 08:14 AM
I am glad (sad) to hear I am not the only one having trouble with the upgrade to 3.x and SpeedEdit. I sit here with an 850 Extreme that had to be restored back to the basic 850 so that I could use SpeedEdit with projects currently in production. So right now that is a tone of money spent and not having the capabilities paid for.

What is the "Oops.." script you are refering to Steve. Is that a joke you are making or is there really something that will fix this issue?

I agree, the system restore really is a horrible way to have to life!

SBowie
11-18-2011, 08:38 AM
What is the "Oops.." script you are refering to Steve. Is that a joke you are making or is there really something that will fix this issue?No joke (nothing humorous about someone having problems.) Exit to Windows, and look in the SpeedEDIT folder (inside C:\TriCaster). You'll see the file. Right click it and select "Run as administrator". You might want to back up your project file(s), just to be safe, but I don't think it should harm them anyway.

wftiv
11-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Is it really call "Oops..."? Tech support never mentioned the existance of such a file. Thanks for the tip. All the project files are on the D: drive currently. Nothing from a SpeedEdit project resides on the C: drive. Even the "Project" folder that Tricaster has set up is not used in my work flow. I put everything (Video, Audio, Projects, Renders, etc.) inside a folder on the D: drive. I have found the paths Tricaster uses to be a little confusing after many years of working with VT and SpeedEdit as stand alones. But to be safe, I will backup the drives. Better safe than sorry. But again, it is really called "Oops"? Someone at NewTek had to be having a good day when they named that I would think. :-)
Regards,
Bill

SBowie
11-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Is it really call "Oops..."?No, it's actually much longer than that - but it begins with "Oops" as you'll see when you look in the folder.

wftiv
11-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks....I will have a look in a bit.

jcupp
11-18-2011, 01:17 PM
I think it's called "Clean SpeedEDIT Configuration.bat" now.

I liked "OopsIMessedUpMyConfigFiles.bat" better though.

SBowie
11-18-2011, 08:31 PM
I remember that too, Jeff, but the last time I looked on a TC it was "Oops ..." - which surprised me. Maybe it was only the standalone that got renamed.

abcwille
11-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Hi, We have updated the 850 to the Rev 3 and now SpeedEdit crashes everytime we try to open it! Our last resort is to restore the system, which is a terrible option. We use SpeedEdit for every production and is totally depend on it.

Anybody got an easier fix? Newtek?

Hej Borsen

You are not alone

We too have this issue at Raadhuspladsen.

Mads is on it.

I have tried the oops file and it was a little bit better but not as it should be.

Call me, if you want to try the Oops file.

Thomas