PDA

View Full Version : Eyeball Animation

daz1761
11-07-2011, 04:50 PM
I am trying to work out the best way to control a pair of eyeballs, i have seen it done using bones but sadly I couldn't work out how to do it.

I have also tried nulls and the motion modifier "follower" and not much look so far :(

The eyeballs are just 2 big spheres, nothing complicated.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

nickdigital
11-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Here's the most basic setup:
Model your eyeballs so the iris points down Z+. Then target the objects to a null. Move the null to make your eyes look at something.

You probably want individual nulls per eyeball that are then parented to a single null. This way you can control the offset. If you have two eyeballs looking at one null your character will be cross-eyed.

From there you could add constraints so your eye can track something in World or Local space.

If you're using bones to influence your eye geometry, then just make sure the bone is pointing down Z+ and target the bone to your null(s).

Nangleator
11-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Eyeballs to have their own weight maps, which the eyeball bones use, of course. Eyeball bones parented to the head bone.

littlewaves
11-07-2011, 05:57 PM
and for a tiny tiny bit of added realism (and I use the word "realism" loosely!) paint a faint amount of the eyeball weight maps onto the eye lids (if applicable) fading out to zero pretty quickly before getting to the rest of the face.
then you'll get a little bit of movement in the eyelids which will give it a bit more life.

(I've never actually got around to trying that myself but apparently it works)

daz1761
11-08-2011, 03:26 AM
Thanks guys

i will try out what u suggested when i am back in my office. i have just created a simple sphere and created a surface for the iris etc just to experiment then once am happy i can apply it to my character. i was wondering why it has to point down the z+ because im not sure what direction my character is facing. also there is no eye lids but i was wondering how i could get the pupil to enlarge if possible.

thanks again!

littlewaves
11-08-2011, 04:14 AM
probably easiest to use a morph to enlarge the pupil

RebelHill
11-08-2011, 01:00 PM
easiest to just use bones. position at centre, weight each to each eye, and target the bones... bones will always target so as they "point" at the target set item, so you can rest/bind the bones rotated as needed in the mesh, and still get correct target behavior without having to model in a given axis.

daz1761
11-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks again!

I have tried the basic approach as mentioned earlier using nulls and targets, etc.

But I am stuck as I cannot get the 2 nulls that the 2 eyeballs are targeting to parent to my 3rd null, as soon as i parent both nulls and try and move the 3rd null, none of them follow.

I have attached a pic to show how my basic setup is...

Thanks

nickdigital
11-10-2011, 05:53 PM
That's odd. If you have a normal parent-child relationship it should work. Are you using a motion modifier on the target nulls?

Can you post the lws file?

daz1761
11-11-2011, 06:28 AM
That's odd. If you have a normal parent-child relationship it should work. Are you using a motion modifier on the target nulls?

Can you post the lws file?

That was strange, ive just put my computer on, opened Layout and parented the 2 nulls to the master and its working now, must of been a glitch that just needed Layout to restart.

You did mention about giving the eyes restrictions? How would I go about that, would I have to select one of the nulls from the "goal object" drop down list then set up an IK?

Also, for future reference, should all my characters be facing the Z+ axis?

I have also had a go at morphing the pupil to enlarge it and was wondering if I had gone the right way about it?

Picture attached...

Many thanks!

nickdigital
11-13-2011, 11:58 PM
You did mention about giving the eyes restrictions? How would I go about that, would I have to select one of the nulls from the "goal object" drop down list then set up an IK?

Also, for future reference, should all my characters be facing the Z+ axis?

I have also had a go at morphing the pupil to enlarge it and was wondering if I had gone the right way about it?

I was referring to having the main target null constrained to either a null that's either in World or Local space. This way you can switch between a character's eyes locked on something as your character turns it's head or the eyes locked to the head motion.

It's not necessary. But to get your object to point properly with targeting it needs to be pointing down Z+.

The morph looks odd. The shape of the eyeball looks to change.