PDA

View Full Version : Understanding SQL

Brian Mirrlees
11-07-2011, 04:46 PM
I would like to gain a better understanding of SQL, and SQL Server...

Could I have recommendations for a text book that starts at a basic or introductory level...
(Like something from the SAM's series, or "SQL for Dummies")

thx.

b.

UnCommonGrafx
11-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Look for a "SQL in a weekend" title. The one I had was great for getting into sql.
It's a fairly straightforward language.

Interesting to read your query. haha, get it... never mind.

COBRASoft
11-07-2011, 06:38 PM
SELECT ColumnName1, ColumnName2, ...
FROM TableName1
[LEFT JOIN TableName2 ON TableName1.ColumnName1 = TableName2.ColumnName1]
WHERE ColumnName = Parameter
ORDER BY ColumnName

^^ everything starts from this in SQL, the rest: google, SQL Server (hit F1, you'll be surprised how much help is in the help), ...

If you have specific questions, just ask, perhaps I will be able to help you out.

Good luck!

colkai
11-08-2011, 02:41 AM
Google, really, there's a shed load of stuff out there, for all levels.
I Google constantly as I'm currently having to learn Delphi alongside SQL and C# and it really is amazing just how much is out there.
Though you may find it better to search for Transact SQL rather than MSSQL as the former is how it's known mainly.
As CobraSoft says, the SELECT is the start of all things and I'd recommend getting to grips with that before even thinking of update / insert / delete. ;)

walfridson
11-08-2011, 02:51 AM
http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp

art
11-08-2011, 07:10 AM
If you don't mind spending a few bucks I'd recommend buying a book. You'll have everything in one place. Google(and other search tools) are great tools and I use it often but I always like to have a reference in form of a book. But that's me.

When I started my new job recently I had to get up to speed with SQL. I had previous knowledge of it, but I wanted to know all the details. I bought SQL fundamentals (MS press) by Itzik Ben Gan. It covers introductory-intermediary levels, but it covers all the details I didn't know before quite nicely.
I am not sure what level of SQL knowledge you need. You may want to try other titles/web sites recommended here if you need only basic understanding of it. If you plan to seriously learn SQL (MS flavor) this may be a good book to start with. And WITH is a very useful statement to start your queries with ;)

Brian Mirrlees
11-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Thanks for everyone's advice...
I picked up a copy of "Teach Yourself SQL in 24 Hours" from Sams Publishing...
I think it will be a very pro-longed 24 hours.....