PDA

View Full Version : when transferring models from modeler to layout

octopus2000
11-06-2011, 12:31 PM
i only noticed now that every object that is created in modeler is automatically turned into triangles when transferred to layout. is it supposed to do that? why does it transform every quads into triangles when it is transferred to layout?

probiner
11-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Subdivision objects in Layout are not only frozen, like they would in Modeler, but also tripled. Otherwise you couldn't render them (Don't know about the tripling though)
What is your problem with the triangles?

Cheers

nickdigital
11-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Triangles can't be non-planar too. So you won't run into render problems with triangles.

paulhart
11-06-2011, 01:44 PM
It appears to be a contradiction, but a clearer understanding of the process of modeling versus rendering in layout will help. When modeling, quads with their inherent loops, edge flow are crucial for good deformations and construction. Tris are used sparingly and tucked away if possible. And ngons, while temporary a useful "crutch" shouldn't be kept around for any length of time as they are often non-planar and prone to render errors.
But, as stated above tris inherently can not be non-planar, while quads often are. Why is this important. When it hits the render engine, each surface must be evaluated to determine its "normal," the direction the poly is facing, for lighting, reflection, etc. With non-planar quads this can be difficult to evaluate, causing render errors, as any given quad can conceivably have "two normals" when non-planar. By tripling, as a virtual process in Layout, every surface is made planar, as required by the render engine. So, each domain has different needs and is addressed by its local methodology.

octopus2000
11-06-2011, 03:35 PM
thanks for explaining, i just wasn't aware of the automatic triangles. i didn't know about this until now. i guess there's no problem about it.

JamesCurtis
11-06-2011, 10:30 PM
I've been doing lots of 10.1 Modeler work, and objects are NOT tripled automatically when I close Modeler and go back to Layout. Are you maybe saving out as Dae, which I think does do that?

safetyman
11-07-2011, 05:24 AM
Just set your display subpatch level to 0, then you'll see the model as you built it (without subpatches of course).