PDA

View Full Version : Spline modelling a WWII plane

pauland
10-15-2003, 05:40 AM
Hi,

I've spent some time (at last) doing some spline modelling. Something I've been very reluctant to do since it seemed rather fiddly and messy, yet my experience so far has been that it's been strangely satisfying and has come along well (for me anyway).

I've made good progress on the main fuselage and I'm not sure what to do about the wings.

I could just tag on the wings after I've patched the main fuselage, or
I could model out the wings as splines straight out of the main fuselage, or
I could turn the main fuselage into a model kit with wing stubs modelled with splines.

My gut instinct is to build out the spline cage, initially as a model kit, then continue the wings from there. I'd feel a little bit like a cheat if I just tagged on the wings with the end poking into the fuselage. It doesn't feel right!

What do you guys think?

On a secondary note..

Some of my experiments with patching using the existing splines has made me realise how important forming the splines can be. All my spline cages have four sides - three sided cages don't look nice when patched. Sometimes the patches would have resulted in rather unpleasing joins (where the patch polygons aren't fully aligned) between adjacement patches. Is there a magic secret I don't know about? ;-)

My apologies for not posting a photograph, err.. render of the final model, sans wireframe... ;-)

Paul

scottn
10-16-2003, 01:15 AM
maybe you could post a pic of your wiereframe or a photo of the real pane?

pauland
10-16-2003, 03:30 AM
For some reason I am unable to attach pictures to my messages, look here: http://www.ac297.dial.pipex.com/wire.png.

The more I do with this the more I think that I'll just have to combine the wings (and some patches) afterwards.

Paul

prospector
10-16-2003, 06:35 PM
I think I would put 1 more spline (top and bottom) of wing after the curve from leading edge.
This would be able to patch correctly with the 7 smaller polys on the trailing edge, and Add 1 spline to body to match front of wing.

This will give you a smooth transition to the wing and the extra polys on the trailing edge of wing will give ya the geometry for thr alerons.

Or use less patch amount ( instead of 7X4, maby a 3X2) then use the above suggestion with wings.

My 2 cents

pauland
10-17-2003, 02:19 AM
Thanks for taking time out to give some input. Please forgive my ignorance here..

Originally posted by prospector
I think I would put 1 more spline (top and bottom) of wing after the curve from leading edge.
OK..

This would be able to patch correctly with the 7 smaller polys on the trailing edge
I'm not quite sure what you are getting at here.

, and Add 1 spline to body to match front of wing.
I think you mean a new vertical spline down the fuselage to match the front edge of the wing.

This will give you a smooth transition to the wing and the extra polys on the trailing edge of wing will give ya the geometry for the alerons.
I'd planned to stencil the geometry for the ailerons, I suppose the extra spline would save me some of that.

Or use less patch amount ( instead of 7X4, maby a 3X2) then use the above suggestion with wings.

My 2 cents
Your 2 cents are very welcome. I've tended to patch so much because the fuselage is quite curved.

My apologies for not being to see exactly what you are trying to tell me!

Paul

prospector
10-17-2003, 05:09 PM
ARRGG !!
I tried to save your pic so I could take into photoshop and show ya where I mean but it won't let me save:(

Let's see...
Your black colored wing has the leading spline and 2 just behind it.
I would put a spline on the fusalage where the second set of splines end at the body.
That will give you a smooth transition there, and the front spline (1st on wing)Would be split with a spline from it to the 2nd spline down on fusalage (from centerline) and then to the 3rd spline down, and you will have the curve for that.

where you have the smaller polys (patched?) on the fusalage,you have it as 7X4 on top of wing, I would cut that to 3X2, then add a spline on the wing to match the fusalage between the 2nd and last spline on wing.

Hmm did screen grab:D

Red lines are fusalage splines
Black line is wing spline
Green are new patches

Wing also has spline on bottom of wing and Fusalage has spline to match.
Also delete the spline I erased.

K let's see if this uploads

:confused:

prospector
10-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Woo Hoo it worked!!
Hope that makes sence.

pauland
10-18-2003, 02:38 AM
Thanks prospector, I'll post the result later on the weekend..

prospector
10-20-2003, 12:09 AM
Update
Shots of splines,and skin
Had to try it out to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
Different plane (BF109) but your bottom of wing will look more like the top for your body.

prospector
10-20-2003, 12:10 AM
ARGG does 1 at a time:)

prospector
10-20-2003, 12:11 AM
and polys

prospector
10-20-2003, 12:16 AM
oops forgot to shrink the last:)

But ya can see that the leading spline and trailing spline continue along fusalage, and the upper and lower wing splines are matched to fusalage so polys flow together.

Hope that makes it clearer.

pauland
10-21-2003, 05:16 PM
I'm really uneasy about creating the patches as you have shown. It works well in your example, but on my model the wings aren't straight and it lends itself to rather ugly patches. I'll show what I've done and undone so far. I'm getting more and more inclined to not try and run the splines from the fuselage onto the wing.

In trying to make splines on the fuselage to match splines on the wing, I was thinking that I'm really adding more splines to the fuselage that I don't really need or want. Anyway take a look..http://www.ac297.dial.pipex.com/wire2.png

Paul

prospector
10-21-2003, 11:15 PM
Would it be possable to send your object?
Don't wanna get ya in trouble or anything.
Or a link to wher you are getting your refrence pics?

I'll see what I can do if possable, but it looks like ya are getting confused with those splines.

[email protected]

If ya can attach them.