PDA

View Full Version : IKbooster unable to curl/move bones

Ryan Roye
11-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Would anyone be able to help me solve this mystery?

Basically, I'm trying to animate a chain of bones using IKbooster... one day when I open up the scene file of my rig and IKbooster just outright refuses to work for ANY bone chains. I also tried deleting and re-making the bones and even freshly made ones don't work, yet when I create a new scene file and do it there it works fine.

At first I thought "ok, I used something like parenter/follower somewhere and that's screwing things up", but after deleting *everything* in the scene and then testing it yielded no answers.

Has anyone else ever run into this problem? The chain of bones is supposed to curl/bend freely but does not in this scene file... I've looked at every option in IKbooster, i've looked at the properties of every bone, i've checked the rotations of the null object they are parented to, and I'm pretty sure no plugins of any kind that modify animation are active.

Ryan Roye
11-04-2011, 08:36 PM
SOLVED! Apparently including the term "axis" in google search was critical to locating a bit of info from someone who has also encountered this problem:

Excerpt (obtained from googlebooks) from a publication titled: "Creating a 3d animated CGI short":

probiner
11-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks for sharing, this is one of those that can drive a person nuts when tired =)

And the funny thing is that I tried to create another object with IKBooster in the same scene and the same was happening. So thats not per object right?

Cheers

Ryan Roye
11-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks for sharing, this is one of those that can drive a person nuts when tired =)

And the funny thing is that I tried to create another object with IKBooster in the same scene and the same was happening. So thats not per object right?

Cheers

Its not the object, its the scene file. The big "gotcha" though is that when an object from the broken scene file is brought into a new, non-broken scene, the new scene pretty much inherits the problem. Maddening!! I have no idea how Michael Scaramozzino thought to open up a text program and compare the text of his files to solve it.

Ryan Roye
11-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Just FYI, There is an IKbooster entry for every object using the IKbooster plugin in a given scene file, so if you do this change and it still doesn't work, try text-searching with "booster" (using notepad) twice or more to scroll to the other entries.

Just ran into that today and thought I'd share.