PDA

View Full Version : Hub not starting up in 10.1

blondimage
11-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Hello peeps!

Is this a common issue or is it me just me again!? :)

I haven't use LW for a while in anger and now sod's law just when I need some luvin..

I've reloaded configs and reinstalled...

Anyone with a pearl or two?

xxiii
11-04-2011, 03:04 PM
You aren't using the "don't start hub" flag in your shortcut icons are you (or Mac equivalent)?

Also, if you launch the hub directly, does it start up ok?

blondimage
11-05-2011, 05:46 AM
Thanks for your reply XXiii

er... " don't start hub flag"?

The Hub starts ok on its own, but disappears soon after.

Here's a screen grab of the Hub options.

blondimage
11-05-2011, 05:47 AM
I've only got the -c thing going to point at different area for configs.

inkpen3d
11-07-2011, 04:26 AM
Hi there,

There is indeed an annoying issue with LW10.1 in that whenever Layout or Modeler are started, the activation of the Hub is delayed until after the given main application has completed its initialisation. This results in the main applications not "seeing" the Hub and thus not being set up to communicate with each other - e.g. the "Modeler" button is missing from the top RHS of the Layout window and the "Switch to Layout", etc. options in Modeler are inactive.

A work-around is to close down then restart Layout or Modeler (before the Hub automatically shuts down) and this enables the applications to "see" the Hub. However, you have to remember to do this before starting any work!

After many frustrating episodes of doing some work in Layout and then deciding that I need to update a model only to discover that the "Modeler" button is missing from the top RHS of the Layout window, I have now created a shortcut to the Hub on my task bar so that I can (remember to) manually fire up the Hub before starting the main applications.

I know a lot of people work without the Hub (for many varied reasons), but I find it very useful (when it works!), so I hope NT fix this issue promptly.

Has anyone found, or know of, a better solution to to the problem?

Regards,
Peter

john_the_blind
11-07-2011, 05:03 AM
check the windows firewall too...and try right clic on hub icon, go to properties panal and check execute the software in administrator, make the same with , modeler and layout icon ...hope this help you.

inkpen3d
11-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Aha, thanks for suggesting Firewall as a possibility - temporarily pausing Kaspersky Internet Security cures the problem, so I'll have to delve into Kaspersky and find out how to prevent this happening.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Regards,
Peter

inkpen3d
11-07-2011, 11:00 AM
FYI (in case anyone else has Kaspersky causing the same problem):

Fire up Layout, Modeler and the Hub.
Open Kaspersky Internet Security settings panel (by right-clicking on the K icon in the icon tray of the task bar and selecting the Settings option).
Select the Threats and exclusions option on the left-hand side and then click on the Exclusions button.
Click on the Trusted applications tab.
Using the Add => Applications link at the bottom of the panel add each of the Layout, Modeler and the Hub applications, making sure that you tick all the exclusion rule options when prompted.

You should then find that Layout and Modeler not only start up faster, but that they also "see" the Hub at the correct point.

If you use some other internet security application, it would be worth setting up the equivalent exclusion rules just to make Lightwave and Modeler fire up a lot quicker.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Peter

inkpen3d
11-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Almost a double posting! :-)

blondimage
11-08-2011, 05:03 PM
thanks for your help on this guys.

I now load the hub separately as a solution.