PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way...

digitalimagery
11-04-2011, 02:09 PM
...to rotate the environmental sphere so I get the part of my environmental map I want when my logo comes to a stop? I always see these beautiful reflections (which slowly crawl across a logo after it stops flying in). I know how to get the slow motion once my logo comes to a rest but getting a nice part of the reflection is tough.

This has always been a problem (one of the problems) for me. Thanks!

Maybe a better way to ask is what's the best method for getting the part of my environmental map on the face of my logo when it stops?

Also, does the size of your model affect the reflection and is there some rule for building models at a size that's best for a particular environmental map size?

Thanks.
DI

biliousfrog
11-04-2011, 02:25 PM
The easiest way to get control over the background reflection is to add the reflection map to a dome or sphere rather than use the standard compositing tools or spherical/bg reflection options.

Create background object - apply reflection image - make unseen by camera (if needed) - use raytraced reflections - rotate/move object into position

digitalimagery
11-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Makes sense. I used to use Electric Image and that app allowed you to rotate the environmental sphere (or map) so you could arrange the reflection just how you liked it - and then give it slow movement to add subtle motion if you wanted reflections to slowly pass across your object.

Your suggestion sounds like a manual version of the same thing. Thanks this should help.

DI

MUCUS
11-04-2011, 04:48 PM
In the backdrop panel, if you add your image by using image world or texture environment, you'll be able to rotate it without creating extra geometry/mapping (Even if this method is probably the one with which you have the best control).

By the wat VPR is also very nice to setup an environment image in perspective view.

kopperdrake
11-04-2011, 05:01 PM
I sometimes stick a large rectangle object in the scene with the image/logo applied to that - 100% lum, 0% diff (or whatever settings you like), no shadows cast, and animate that so the reflections are right.

digitalimagery
11-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Still struggling. The sphere with the image map is blocking my camera, when I say unseen by camera it doesn't seem to render a reflection.

I've married everything in the scene to a null and used that to rotate everything to reflect off the environmental sphere and I get some decent reflections and have control.

Ultimately this will be a logo for a news open and I'll be animating the logo and some other elements. I suppose I could set my last keyframe first and work backwards.

I'll experiment with these most recent suggestions and see what I get.

Appreciate the help (I love spending my weekends trying to figure out something that really shouldn't be this difficult - NOT!)

:o)

DI

digitalimagery
11-04-2011, 11:29 PM
Your technique gave me decent results and I'll be able to not only move forward from here but use this technique in the future. Not to mention go to bed.:thumbsup:

Thanks
Randy

Mr Rid
11-05-2011, 12:56 AM
I use a one-sided sphere/dome with normals facing inward. That way you can clearly see to position your image in GL, and it wont block camera or view because you only see the inside polys.

An object set to Unseen by Camera will still reflect.

MDSPECIFIC
11-05-2011, 08:05 AM
I always use Textural Environment (Image Map layer, Spherical. axis Y), like Mucus said.

You should have in mind another option for tune this kind of work. Surface Editor, Environment map, you can separate Reflections/Refractions by surface (Backdrop Only, Ray Tracing + Backdrop, Spherical, Ray Tracing + Spherical). You could do a lot of things with combining them.
You can use sIBL plugin and play with setups, (reflection object-radiosity off, null like parent and reference for light etc.)
You can use Spot light with projected image/video.
:)

digitalimagery
11-07-2011, 08:51 AM
I've always had decent luck with using the environmental maps and tweaking the map as opposed to using textural enviroment map but I tried this (the later) and got some decent results. I like working the ability to adjust the environment in the app rather than building 20 different e-maps and swapping/test rendering.

I'm trying to determine a set model/layout size that with the same map consistently gives really nice reflections with minimal fuss because I do a lot of logo work and this would really speed production.

Has anyone experimented with a set up like this and does anyone know of a good model to environmental (or textural environmental) map size ratio that works well?

Thanks again for the help
DI