PDA

View Full Version : best video editor

rednova
11-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Hi all:

What is the best, most inexpensive video editor ?
the goal is to edit my lw animations into a unified video file.
And edit them together with music and sound fx.
I have the one that came for free with my pentium pc, but
don't remember the name. Will that be good enough?
Thank you !!!

Rednova

UnCommonGrafx
11-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Yes, good enough.

If it works, if it will let you put the pics on the timeline at one frame per pic, then yes, good enough.

you need simple.

rednova
11-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Yes !!!
I edited a few animations with it, and it worked super
and does everything I need, I just thought maybe
another editor might be better.
But the free editor is simple and runs super.
Thank you Robert !!!

rednova

toeknee
11-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Hey Rednova, I use many different video editing tools and I think if you plan on just putting together some different clips to make a unified edit than AVID Studio is OK and very easy, however if you might want to us something more powerful and you want to do video production more than there is a compeditive upgrade to Grass Valley's Edius that is only $399.00 This is a very good program for that price. So all you would need to do is find a friend that uses something like FinalCut or Avid that has no intentions of crossgrading and use there serial number. I am sure that you know that if you are planing on using Photoshop and Illistrator as well as After Effects the Adobe bundel is the way to go. It is dramatically more expensive though. Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

-EsHrA-
11-05-2011, 05:42 AM
blender?

Ryan Roye
11-05-2011, 07:15 AM
Windows Movie Maker is probably what you are talking about... it really is the bare minimum to put together video. It is nice for getting the basics of how to do video editing but it is very limited if you want to do anything more than just putting video together; that is almost literally all WMM does.

Ulead video studio 11 is an excellent entry-level tool and its only about $30-50... however, the program has 3 major issues:

1) Only 2 sound layers. You'll have to keep mixing anything you add into a single file if you want to have more than 1 sfx play. After you mix though its hard to change anything. Audacity can help circumvent this, but then you're practically working blind.

2) Does not support frames. By this, I mean if you render out all your video into frames, you'll have to use a program like virtual dub to compile them all into video before importing visual data, which lowers video quality.

3) You can do compositing, but it leaves a lot to be desired and its hard to avoid edge pixel trash for anything that doesn't have a clear solid pixel outline.

If it weren't for these things, I'd say the program competes with the big wig products pretty nicely.

pming
11-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Hiya.

I used Sony Vegas Movie Studio for a while...pretty nice software overall, totally worth the cash I paid (got the Pro version).

Recently, my 'cheap sfx' program got a serious upgrade; it's now called HitFilm Ultimate, and is made by FXHome software ( www.fxhome.com ). Since buying/upgrading to HitFilm Ultimate, I've stopped using Vegas simply because I can do everything I need to in HitFilm.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Ryan Roye
11-08-2011, 08:21 PM
it's now called HitFilm Ultimate, and is made by FXHome software ...

I'm going to have to try that out, if only out of curiosity. I've been looking for a reasonably priced upgrade to my current video editing software but cringe at the thought of forking out $500+ to get it.

Surrealist.
11-08-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm biased. Been using Sony Vegas since about version 2. So if I could recommend anything it would be one of their bottom of the line products. You can later upgrade if you feel the need for the pro version.

Snosrap
11-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Sony Vegas here too. They have several low costs versions under $100 which I started out with but jumped to the Pro version a couple months ago with a sweet upgrade deal.

Andy Meyer
11-09-2011, 06:31 AM
i like EDIUS from Grass Valley. it is a very powerful pro video editor and its easy to handle. you can buy software only versions or ready to use turnkey systems with hardware. lot of studios here in switzerland moved from FinalCut to Edius some years ago. http://www.grassvalley.com/products/edius_6/features

since NT sells video systems too i'm not sure if it's ok to post competitor links here. feel free to delete my post if it's against forum rules.