PDA

View Full Version : huge procedural problems

wellsichris
11-03-2011, 07:59 PM
I have been working on a scene, camera is 150km up and goes down to ground. have a plane that is 320km big. so I have some procedurals that I have scaled up. to exaggerate the problem 500k, but it shows up at 100k.

essentially looks like the texture is spinning. I have done everything I can think of and it's just not working. looks fine in vpr. and fprime, but f9 renders not so much. also when you f10 render. it's moving. like something on the texture is animated. but nothing is? any ideas?

also I have tried with several different procedural setups.

flakes and crackle don't do it. but turbulent noise, turbulence, fbm, and ridgemultifractal, all do.

Thanks
Chris

wellsichris
11-03-2011, 08:07 PM
also of note, it only happens with the nodes. layered scales as one would expect.

at this point I'm thinking it's a bug

Mr Rid
11-04-2011, 03:38 AM
Those darn nodes. Yeah, looks like a math seizure.

Rabbitpenny
11-04-2011, 09:14 AM
I don't know what look you're trying to acheive, but I think your scale is way too big. Attached is render from your file with procedure scaled down to 1km from five hundred km. What you were seeing is the basic building block of the procedural (as if through a microscope, so to speak.)

wellsichris
11-04-2011, 09:51 AM
I"m actually trying to achieve the vpr/fprime look. which is what one would expect. 500k on a 320k plane isn't a microscope. scale it to 320k and it should be 1 to 1. the equivalent of having a 1m square with a 1m texture scale. the layered procedurals do it fine, and some of the nodes. just the ones I need are being weird. :(

But RabbitPenny, you can confirm, you are getting the same results?

if other people can confirm I will file a bug report.

Thanks for looking into this

wellsichris
11-04-2011, 10:15 AM
here's two video's showing the texture animated. vpr works like one would expect, f10 not so much.

wellsichris
11-04-2011, 03:15 PM
so another thing to know, plug the color into color and it works. just the bump doesn't.

happy times

xxiii
11-04-2011, 03:43 PM
In experimenting (with bump output connected to the color input), and VPR window maximized, I'd say with scaling at 8 km is when it first starts to develop the first hints of banding, and diverging from VPR. It gradually gets worse from there as the scale is increased.

I also tried rotating the texture, which changed things but still exhibits the banding.

It appears the F9 render is not correctly calculating the scale somewhere with respect to the bump channel. I tried various things to try to pin it down (such as adjusting the X/Y/Z values independently and re-rendering), but at this point I'd say fogbugz it.

Whichever one is right (and I'm leaning towards VPR here) VPR and F9 should produce the same result as far as the "content" of the image.