PDA

View Full Version : Help! TXCD850 System Drive Corrupt

digiview
11-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Hi I would really appreciate some help. My TXCD850 has been playing up the Tricaster user interface has been getting cut off at the preview monitor which has means I can not exit the system so I had to power off. I checked my screen resolution and it was correct 1080x1200. All my attempts to restore the Tricaster interfaced has failed the only option was to do factory install.
During the factory install when you need to type “Yes” to proceed I discovered that I had no keyboard input although the keyboard was connected and lit up leaving no option but to power down. When the Tricaster rebooted I am now asked to insert the Windows installation disk and restart the computer that’s a bit hard to do on the Tricaster.
Windows is also telling me now to contact my computer manufacture for assistance.
I have the following error message on screen
File:\Boot\BCD
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

Question is there a way to do a factory install from BIOS?

Many thanks.

SBowie
11-03-2011, 09:30 AM
During the factory install when you need to type “Yes” to proceed I discovered that I had no keyboard input although the keyboard was connected and lit up leaving no option but to power down.I'm not entirely sure whether by "factory install" you mean a "TriCaster Restore" operation or not, but either way, I think you've unfortunately wound if in a very weird place, and possibly beyond casual help. :(

If your TriCaster Restore partition still exists, there may yet be hope (that doesn't involve shipping), but I'd strongly encourage you talk to Tech Support before doing anything else.

digiview
11-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Hi Steve yes I do mean "TriCaster Restore". I had seen some where that the Tricaster Restore could be performed from the menu within the TC interface or by pressing a key during boot up that would also bring it up.
Without a boot system is not going to work anyway. God I wish I had a image of the system drive.

SBowie
11-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Hi Steve yes I do mean "TriCaster Restore".Yeah, without a functional boot partition, you're in a very tough spot.

digiview
11-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Yeap I agree it's a pack up and ship out to the dealer, just not a real good time to happen.
Many thanks cheers.

SBowie
11-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Yeap I agree it's a pack up and ship out to the dealer, just not a real good time to happen.Yeah, sucks. :(

wftiv
11-07-2011, 07:31 PM
I discovered today after trying to do a Tricaster restore that if you have a light up keyboard, and you have the lights on, using the scroll lock button, you can not type "Yes". You have to do the typing of "Yes" with the keyboard lights off and you have to do it with a capital "Y". Tech support informed me when I ran into the same issue while typing.

adebats
11-08-2011, 10:12 AM
i hate those light up keboards :)

PS Do you remember the forum topic we dsicussed about having a spare hard drive with an exact copy of 850 C drive for exactly this situation. I was just looking for it but could not find it. I think we decided that for onsite live events that having a spare drive with a new 850setup was the ultimate backup for this situation.

wftiv
11-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Well, it was kind of hinted at by Tech Support that I should have a flash drive with content on it. Although I do not think the folder size would allow all of it on one flash drive. Not sure why he asked me a few times if I had a flash drive. Perhaps I should have received the Extreme upgrade on a flash drive. Have to investigate that a little more. But your idea of having the system software on an external is a good one. Probably a very good one considering what can go wrong shipping a Tricaster and arriving on location with something not working. Unfortunately having a backup would still not solve the compatability issues I experienced between old SpeedEdit projects and the newest upgraded software. That does not seem to be something that is part of this thread, but certainly is another serious issues I am currently dealing with.

PIZAZZ
11-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Well, it was kind of hinted at by Tech Support that I should have a flash drive with content on it. Although I do not think the folder size would allow all of it on one flash drive. Not sure why he asked me a few times if I had a flash drive. Perhaps I should have received the Extreme upgrade on a flash drive. Have to investigate that a little more. But your idea of having the system software on an external is a good one. Probably a very good one considering what can go wrong shipping a Tricaster and arriving on location with something not working. Unfortunately having a backup would still not solve the compatability issues I experienced between old SpeedEdit projects and the newest upgraded software. That does not seem to be something that is part of this thread, but certainly is another serious issues I am currently dealing with.

You should at the least have your sessions and content backed up to another drive so you could get a rental and be up and running with the exact same setup. System drive backup is definitely a good thing too if you have the means. SSD drives are not necessarily a backup solution btw.

wftiv
11-08-2011, 05:26 PM
SSD drives???

digiview
11-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Hi Guys a quick update on my Tricaster problem.
The title of this thread is now incorrect it should be " Why has my XD850 lost it's system setup (CMOS)" The loss occured after performing the TriCaster Restore and having to abort it at the confirmation scree where you type "Yes"". Being in a state of panic along with heart palpitations as I had a live event to do in two days time my thinking was not clear, my initial reaction that the system drive is dead appears to be wrong.

The next day I packed up the Tricaster and took it the dealer in Adelaide.
When I got to the dealer we unpacked the Tricaster and power it up in the showroom so the dealer could see 1st hand what I was talking about. Now that I was far more rational and not panicking as much as I had resigned my self to the fact that I would now have to do the mix down at post. During the Tricaster ‘s power on self test sequence I noticed that the system drive C and drive G was not listed on screen and I said to the dealer "The drives are gone where are they?.
The Tricaster was then rebooted again by the dealer and we looked at the setup screen and bingo in all the drives selection area was "Not Allocated". In this case having a backup drive would not have helped as it appears we have lost the setup in cmos memory.

Now it’s a matter of waiting to see what the repair report reveals to see why the setup was lost while performing the TriCaster Restore function.

Is anyone game to do a the TriCaster Restore and power off the Tricaster at the confirmation screen where you type “Yes” to see what happens?

SBowie
11-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Is anyone game to do a the TriCaster Restore and power off the Tricaster at the confirmation screen where you type “Yes” to see what happens?I'm sure QA will want to try to replicate this. The key thing, though - are you back in (TriCaster) business yet?

digiview
11-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Hello Steve
Yeap I am dead in the water just like the RMS Titanic water is coming up to the bridge and I have that sinking feeling.

The dealer is asking the Australian distributor if they can do anything have not heard anything yet. I have four days to my next big gig and then it's all go till the 23rd December my peak period.

SBowie
11-09-2011, 03:50 AM
If I were you, and if you haven't done it already, I'd be on the phone today directly to Tech Support. There might be some way to handle this short of shipping. I realize this is a costly call, but it's a pretty dire situation. Otherwise, perhaps there's someone down there who can rent a unit to help you out.

PIZAZZ
11-09-2011, 07:40 AM
Hello Steve
Yeap I am dead in the water just like the RMS Titanic water is coming up to the bridge and I have that sinking feeling.

The dealer is asking the Australian distributor if they can do anything have not heard anything yet. I have four days to my next big gig and then it's all go till the 23rd December my peak period.

Been a while since I have been down there. Have passport and Tricaster will travel is my motto

digiview
11-10-2011, 05:50 PM
OK my Tricaster is back and in service again, now I am a happy camper. The service report said that the system drive was Ok but the Windows 7 OS was damaged and restored. I am still pondering the situation why was there was no dive allocation in the setup and how was the system drive accessed to start the backup in the protected partition, the mystery deepens. I was lucky that the system drive was not damaged otherwise I would have to wait for a new unit to arrive from Newtek and that had the potential to put me out of business.

From my first hand experience in this situation I would strongly urge Newtek to make the “Tricaster Restore Software” available on a separate drive which then adds another layer of protection for the user. I have no option now but to find a method of cloning my system drive without having to install software to the system drive.
I would appreciate any information on backup software that is known to work on the Tricaster XD850 and Windows 7.
Many Thanks

pro---studio
11-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Do a search in the Forum. This has already been asked a lot of times. But here is the solution:

Acronis Drive Backup
Can run from a USB stick. You don't need to install it onto your TC.

And btw:

Clone you system drive with Acronis and always have a "spare system drive" on every gig that you do. You can simply insert it into an empty drivebay of your TC and change the start drive in the bios if your original system drive fails.

Regards

pro.

digiview
11-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks Pro I did search after my post and found that Steve recommend 'Acronis True Image'. I have just purchased Acronis True Image 12 and made a bootable USB drive on my Windows 7 laptop and I now have successfully made copy of my Tricaster system drive.

During my search I noticed others have also reported that they have had system corruption after performing the Tricaster Restore. This really needs to be a bullet proof procedure and in the event of system drive hardware failure you still can not restore the system. I believe that the Tricaster Restore should be on a separate disk. I have performed restores on my Tricaster without a problems in the past on this occasion it failed.

The CMOS settings is the other vulnerability, has anyone had experience with utilities to backup and restore CMOS settings in Windows 7.

TVCogeco
11-17-2011, 02:22 PM
We had a wery similar problem our primary drive gave out...

no i have a Ghost backup on on of the media drives and another on a portable walet drive...

digiview
01-21-2012, 04:33 PM
TXCD850 Factory Restore Failure Rev 3c

Hi since early November I have been suffering intermittent problems with my TXCD 850 where I would lose the user interface video from the TC leaving me in the dark and forcing me to do a hardware shut downs. When this first occurred on site at a function I changed monitors and DVI-D cables without success. After about six restart attempts we got video from the user interface which had streaks of different colours typical of a faulty video cable The cable and monitor had been tested on an other computer and proved to be OK. Fortunately I had determined that the program video was not affected and completed the shows with a contaminated user interface. I did not dare move or power down the Tricaster until all the shows where completed for the fear of losing the user interface video signal again.

http://forums.newtek.com/enlighten/attach/jpg.gif

On my return to base I setup the Tricaster using the same hardware and the user interface was clean and back to normal. Two weeks ago I was preparing to load the XD850 with graphics files and video for another show and as soon as I plugged in a USB stick to load logos I lost the user interface again and on this occasion transport or movement was not the cause. After about four restarts and plugging and unplugging the DVI-D cable the user interface came back to normal. About a week latter this happened again when I plugged in a external USB drive to transfer some more clients logos. I have been suspecting an intermittent fault with the video card or video memory.

Well after all this I decided to go back to square one and restore the Tricaster to Factory Defaults. I powered up the XD850 and from the Tricasters user interface "system utilities menu" I executed the Factory restore function. Once the computer rebooted I selected the restore to Factory Defaults from the windows boot manager and I received this error message.

“Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings and click next

3. Click repair your computer.

If you do not have a disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File” \windows\sysrst.exe

Status” 0xc000000f

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

They my nerves are now shot going on jobs with my Tricaster is like playing Russian Roulette.

As this thread show I had a hard disk failure in early November and is was restored by the dealer. When the Tricaster came back I made two clone copies of the drive using Arconis True Image as has been suggested.

Yeap you guessed it I have two clones of a the system drives that also fails to run factory default install.

Question:
Is there a manual method of executing the restore function from HDU and bypassing the user interface menu?

Is it possible that the lose of video from user interface could be caused by windows 7 OS failure and not the graphics card or could the system drive be at fault ?

I have in the past suggested that the restore disk should be on separate drive from the system disc and this again highlights the reason why. I would appreciate if anyone knows how to activate the restore function without having to ship the unit again to the Australian dealer.

Many thanks Lance

SBowie
01-21-2012, 05:11 PM
I really think problems as complex as what you are describing would be best addressed by Customer Support. As you're in Oz, a phone call might be difficult, but maybe a Skype call could be worked out. Have you tried emailing them today? Or send me a PM with contact details and I'll try to have someone reach out to you as soon as possible.

digiview
01-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Thanks Steve I have sent a copy of the problem to NT suppor.t

Question:
Steve is the restore partition updated when a new versions of software is installed. My original restore was version 1 and I had used on several occasions without problems which is what I trying to get back to.

I see that GeekNews has also repoted same restore issue on another post.
Looks like I am not alone with this restore problem.

SBowie
01-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Question:
Steve is the restore partition updated when a new versions of software is installed.No, it's not.

GeekNews
01-21-2012, 11:35 PM
The error he is getting is the same exact error I am getting in trying to do a default restore.

I am also loosing the screen periodically aka it goes black like he does but a forced power down and power back up resolves the issue.

I have never have had to do a default restore so something is up here sounds pretty suspicious to me. Cannot imagine what would have happened if we where counting on this at some gig..

Default restore has to be absolutely fool proof on systems like this or Newtek needs to start shipping these units with a way to rebuild via dvd or something similar.

SBowie
01-22-2012, 05:45 AM
The TriCaster Restore system, as currently implemented, has never been implicated in any sort of a problem that I know of - apart from the obvious limitation (being inaccessible in the case of a complete drive failure). The latter is not that common, and users can work around it in several ways, but it is still something I hope to see improved upon sooner rather than later. I'm not going to say anything more about that at this time. Honestly, though, it seems quite unlikely to me that the Restore drive image is involved in the situation you're describing.

It's possible , I think, that something corrupt in the (C drive) OS or config could interfere with restoring from the Utilities menu ... but I'd expect Restore from the boot options menu to still work properly in almost all cases. (If it's not, I think you're probably into a Customer Support issue.)

digiview
01-22-2012, 07:38 AM
Hi Steve thanks for your advise, I will be sending my XD850 in for repair under warranty on Tuesday. We now have two known XD850’s on two different continent’s with the same problem. I trust that this will ring alarm bells at Newtek as this is a very serious issue that has the potential to put me out of business.

SBowie
01-22-2012, 10:11 AM
I'm told the fraction of systems in the field returned for repair is truly miniscule, but I'm sure anything that is learned from your experience will be taken into consideration, thanks.

GeekNews
01-22-2012, 12:28 PM
It's possible , I think, that something corrupt in the (C drive) OS or config could interfere with restoring from the Utilities menu ... but I'd expect Restore from the boot options menu to still work properly in almost all cases. (If it's not, I think you're probably into a Customer Support issue.)

Trying to restore from the Tricaster windows menu ends up in nothing more that it trying to do something during reboot that you cannot see and then rebooting like a normal launch within 30-45 seconds

Manually trying to restore by pressing f8 upon boot and selecting the restore selection results in the same exact issue outlined above.

One thing to note about hitting F8 too many times you end up in the windows restore menu versus the newtek restore menu. Which I ended up in one time.

Todd..

This is what it says when I select the restore function.

“Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings and click next

3. Click repair your computer.

If you do not have a disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File” \windows\sysrst.exe

Status” 0xc000000f

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

SBowie
01-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Well, I hate to quote myself, but as I said, "I'd expect Restore from the boot options menu to still work properly in almost all cases. (If it's not, I think you're probably into a Customer Support issue.)"

digiview
01-26-2012, 04:27 AM
After suffering system drive boot and restore failure on XD850, I searched the forum for information on this topic and found this thread.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=80154&highlight=linux+restore+partition

This was a treasure trove of information, perhaps it may help others.

csandy
01-27-2012, 06:33 AM
After suffering system drive boot and restore failure on XD850, I searched the forum for information on this topic and found this thread.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=80154&highlight=linux+restore+partition

This was a treasure trove of information, perhaps it may help others.

First, be wary that the thread you mention is pretty old and outdated. Second, the idea of have some type of solid state device running the operating system (or at the very least as a back-up) is appealing and doable with a machine of this price. Finally, be careful when using Acronis. You do not want to have any of the monitoring features installed because it might impact real time performance on your machine.

Lee-AVP
01-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Yeah. I would love to see a process to update the system drive to an SSD. I was thinking just an Acronis image, then swap 'em out. I will probably try this on our old Pro; I would want more of a blessing from Newtek to do it to our 850.