PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 10 description, is this right?

sandman300
11-03-2011, 08:20 AM
I was working on updating my web site with all the Newtek products. With the 11/10/11 thing looming, I'm thinking of waiting to adding a Lightwave page. But out of curiosity, I went over to my distributors page to see what they had listed. To my surprise (sarcastic) they have Lightwave 10 in all its buyable forms. What really interested me was the description they have of Lightwave. Is this right, it can't be. To me it looks like someone didn't get a memo, but maybe there is something that I don't know.:question:

LightWave 10 is the first release of LightWave 3D® to integrate NewTek’s CORE technology with enhanced Modeler and Layout. The three elements work in unison to give you the workflow and functionality you’re familiar with, along with the interactive power of the innovative CORE technologies. LightWave’s speed, flexibility, value and control are the benefits you count on and LightWave 10 delivers all that and more. LightWave 10 benefits artists with unique features not found in any other 3D application, like Viewport Preview Rendering (VPR) and CG hardware enhancements that give you an immediate look at changes to your rendered scenes, and real-time OpenGL views of Ambient Occlusion, Bloom, Stereoscopic Anaglyph and HDRI background images. LightWave 10 delivers the power of Modeler and Layout with next generation CORE technologies, such as immersive real-time and game tools, Python-based expressions and scripting, Bullet rigid body dynamics and sophisticated UV mapping capabilities.

SBowie
11-03-2011, 08:36 AM
Lightwave 10 description, is this right?No.

Andy Meyer
11-03-2011, 08:41 AM
advertisement in most cases is an exaggeration of reality. but thats a common way, not just NT. dont be scared :-)
many HC users, me too, asked for better marketing. there it is!

there are three elements: layout, modeler, hub.
no other 3d app has VPR, they have other names for that.
OpenGL is a CG hardware enhancement.
bullet rigid body dynamics must be a hidden feature or maybe 10.2 will have it :-) maybe that name is no trademark and they mean the LW dynamics system...
they say python-based, not python, thats a big difference. i'm sure it is some kind of there.
there are UV tools, sophisticated can mean everything.

i see no error in that description.

sandman300
11-03-2011, 09:29 AM
many HC users, me too, asked for better marketing. there it is!

Well there is better marketing and there is false advertizing.

enhanced Modeler? If it is, I'd like to know how?

Python-based expressions and scripting? I here people say that you use Python with Lightwave but I've never seen any documentation on it, much less any examples of it in use.

Bullet rigid body dynamics? I know it was in CORE, but CORE is no more. AFAIK it's not in Layout.

I ended up calling my distributor, they got their description from Newtek, as far as they knew, there was nothing "NEW". As it turns out their catalog is getting flipped today, so by tomorrow sometime I should have a better description to upload to my web site.

SBowie
11-03-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm standing by my no. That looks very much like a description of 10 from last year, when a standalone CORE was still planned. It's many months out of date.

sandman300
11-03-2011, 09:40 AM
SBowie: Thanks, it was your response that gave me that extra push that I needed to get this fixed.

kopperdrake
11-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Agreed - it just sounds like someone hasn't got around to updating the marketing blurb.

Markc
11-03-2011, 12:51 PM
I wish Newtek would also update the system requirements page.
Although it's under LW10 support, all the information relates to LW9.

It is one of the main things new users will look for, before buying!
(Also it is not very easy to find)