PDA

View Full Version : The Mona Lisa

Snosrap
11-03-2011, 06:43 AM
This is a project I've been working on for the last day or two. Most of the effort was put in the picture frame modeled in LW. I've included a couple shots that I screwed around with in PS as well as a raw render from LW10.1. -VPR rocks!:thumbsup: Comments welcome.

Lewis
11-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Excellent stuff on frame, you did some serious modeling there :). I also like surface, very realistic/old look.

BlackJack3D
11-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Very, very nice!

kadri
11-05-2011, 08:58 PM
I like especially the last one. Could use a little level adjustment etc. but i love it. Very nice work , Snosrap :)

qbaqbaLW
11-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Hi
You create nice atmoshere, really climed. How did you get it? By lightening, HDR, material, background?
I like also the delicate reflection on the cabinet. Have you used standard tools reflection or for example DP Reflections, node reflection, fast fresnel, real fresnel or gradiends in the reflections channel?????
I'm trully impressed :)

Regards
Qba

Snosrap
11-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks for all the kind words folks. I've attached a screen grab of the picture frame. The light setup is pretty standard with two area lights and one photometric light. No radiosity was used. The surfacing was fairly standard as well using layers - no nodes. Everything was modeled in LW but the picture frame was UV mapped in modo with an occlusion pass bake out to it. I seldom use modo as I like modeler better, but making these nice "dirt in crevice" looks are really easy using this method in modo. I've used the EE Grit node for these type of effects in the past but the quality of it's output is suspect. This is one thing I wish NT put engineering to as a "dirt in cracks" node is something I could use a lot.

MAUROCOR
11-08-2011, 05:25 AM
I love it!!!:thumbsup:

qbaqbaLW
11-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Thank you for the information, the beautiful relief of the frame! I'm impressed :D.

sony
11-12-2011, 07:49 AM
looks good

djwaterman
11-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Okay, I guess once you have made one chunk of frame, it's just repeating it from there, that makes me feel less jealous, still, I really wasn't expecting it to be real geometry. But that's technical, what I really love is the feeling from these images, the last one especially for me. Some images make you forget about CG and just are what they are, this would be one of those.

Snosrap
11-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Okay, I guess once you have made one chunk of frame, it's just repeating it from there, that makes me feel less jealous, still, I really wasn't expecting it to be real geometry. But that's technical, what I really love is the feeling from these images, the last one especially for me. Some images make you forget about CG and just are what they are, this would be one of those.

Yep - most of these types of motifs repeat.:D Thanks for the kind words.

DonJMyers
11-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Wow it took Leonardo three years to paint the Mona Lisa. You did the same thing in just hours with Lightwave! :)

warre
11-16-2011, 10:09 AM
What? Was there a painting too? I immersed myself just staring at the frame and its details. Awesome! :)

Waves of light
11-16-2011, 10:45 AM
Wow, what a wonderful shot. I love the subtle background wallpaper and the colours. The modelling is top-notch and the frame looks superb. If I was to nitpick it would be the handles on the drawers... textures don't look right to me. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks for sharing the setup.

Ricky.

silviotoledo
04-13-2012, 08:04 PM
beauty, but too much geometry :(.

Now LW 11 have instances you will be able to model just a small tile and repeat using instances :). really would like to see this tech in use for saving a lot of memory.

Lewis
04-14-2012, 01:35 AM

Now LW 11 have instances you will be able to model just a small tile and repeat using instances :). really would like to see this tech in use for saving a lot of memory.

Hardly, for this piece of work you need to be able to WELD geometry between instances and layout cant' weld it and modeler don't have instances.

magoo
04-14-2012, 03:41 AM
Looks really good! The detail in the frame is astonishing!

I do find the photos next to it distracting as they lack the rustic feel of the rest of the render and the photos themselves compete with the painting for your attention.

meshpig
04-14-2012, 04:20 AM
Love the frame except the "Mona Lisa" is so insignificantly small and boring because so famous, in real life.

DrStrik9
04-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Love it!

THREEL
04-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Great job, Snos!!! :thumbsup:

Caveboy
04-17-2012, 12:38 AM
The frame is superb! Insane modeling! Love it :thumbsup:

Mr. Wilde
04-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Love the frame except the "Mona Lisa" is so insignificantly small and boring because so famous, in real life.

An interesting twist would be to make it 3D inside the frame.

meshpig
04-18-2012, 02:40 AM
An interesting twist would be to make it 3D inside the frame.

A'la the Shroud of Turin...? :devil: I almost fell over backwards laughing when I first saw mona lisa in the Louvre years ago from about 3m away. I've always thought the "Renaissance" too was largely a crafty piece of British historical propaganda along with the "Dark Ages"...

speismonqui
04-18-2012, 05:56 PM
does any one remember an old softimage tutorial, I think it was a texture projection that made a 3D monalisa? I can't find it anywhere.

Snosrap
04-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Thanks everybody. These are fun to make and can be a challenge with Modelers inability to handle large poly counts very well. I did something similar awhile back. http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=92450

jokerz
05-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Great job, the frame of the picture and awesome it would be nice a tutorial how to model the decoration.

gowcaizer
05-01-2012, 09:08 AM
love the light in this one! specially the thumb in the middle :) great piece of art!

Cageman
05-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Good work, Snosrap! I really like the details in the frame! Very cool! :thumbsup:

76885 polygons where 76879 of them are Subpatches... hardly what I would call "too much geometry". If the frame were like a couple of millions of polygons, I would understand your comment much better.

:)