PDA

View Full Version : Clipping Distance Modeler

Stephen0523
11-03-2011, 06:04 AM
Hi all. My image in the top right viewer is disappearing when I zoom in (see attached). I remember the Clipping Distance thing in Layout.
How would I fix this in Modeler?

Thanks

ShadowMystic
11-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Press 'D' by default to bring up display options and try adjusting your perspective amount.

Snosrap
11-05-2011, 08:38 PM
No such clipping adjustments in Modeler. The best way to counter clipping issues is to make sure you model on 0,0,0 and if you have a large model that extends way beyond 0,0,0 and you need to work on an area of that model way out there, just select some geometry in that area and press shift A. That will reset the view and you can work on that area of your model without much trouble. One caveat is that sometimes in the above scenario, geometry outside your work area will be clipped out of view and it can be easy to accidentally select things you don't want selected. I hide geometry so that doesn't happen and it's easier to stay focused on the area you are working on.

Stephen0523
11-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks ShadowMystic. I will give it a try.
P.S., cool name!

Stephen

Dexter2999
11-05-2011, 09:11 PM
I hide geometry so that doesn't happen and it's easier to stay focused on the area you are working on.

This is a habit I didn't cultivate until I had been using LW for about 3 years. (To be honest I mostly only did spinny logo work so it was never a necessity.) I can't stress how much it improves workflow.

If you haven't gotten into the habit of using the "-","+", and "\" keys (not the ones on the keypad) you are doing yourself a disservice.

Stephen0523
11-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Hi Dexter, I am not sure I understand your reply :-(

ShadowMystic
11-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Stephen,

Dexter is referring to the default hot keys,"-","=", and "\ which hide selected, hide unselected, and unhide all, respectively. While this is one way of segregating geometry and I do us it, I prefer organization through layers.

The hotkeys "a" and "Shift+A" center all geometry and center selected geometry, respectively, and help prevent clipping errors on the region you are working on in which case you could hit "=" to hide all other geometry. This is what___?___ said helps prevent clipping.

Stephen0523
11-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Excellent!.
Thanks for your help!

Stephen

Dexter2999
11-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Hi Stephen,

The practice of "hide" and "unhide" has, in my experience, helped me avoid many problems with clipping on models and with dealing with complex geometry by letting me concentrate on just the pieces I need.

The keys I was talking about in my earlier post are the keyboard shortcuts for "hide selected", "hide unselected", and "unhide". Once you get used to using the keyboard shortcuts for these you will notice a considerable difference in your modelling experience.

Stephen0523
11-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Hi Dexter. Thanks for your help.

I was just wondering do you do work for hire?

Stephen

Dexter2999
11-05-2011, 10:19 PM
I have done only a few small projects on a "for hire" basis. Honestly, it isn't something I have pursued as the number of changes requested from clients and getting paid have been issues.

Most all of my work has been for the company I work for as an unofficial graphics guy. It wasn't a real position. It was just something they found I could do and they could make money off of or use to enhance events and holiday displays without costing anything extra (since I am already here and getting paid.)

But those days have passed me by. Now I am in a position that affords me alot of "downtime" where I can play with LW or whatever else may distract me and fill the time.

And to be honest, I'm not all that good with LW. Like I said, most all of my work was spinny logo kind of stuff. Very repetitive and not particularly demanding. There was almost never an occasion where I needed experience in advanced functions like particles or character animation.

Stephen0523
11-05-2011, 10:23 PM
OK. No worries. I thought i would ask.
S

Snosrap
11-05-2011, 11:05 PM
What do you need?

Stephen0523
11-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Hi Snosrap. Just basic objects. I can PM you with details. Do you have a website?
Stephen