PDA

View Full Version : Free sIBL / HDR set + contest & more

Bob Groothuis
11-03-2011, 04:01 AM
Hello,

To introduce the new Dutch Skies 360 Volume 4 DVD (http://www.bobgroothuis.com/blog/?p=4646) made a free daylight sIBL/ HDR (http://www.bobgroothuis.com/blog/?p=4655) set for download + render competition. Mentioned on HDRLabs website too: http://www.hdrlabs.com//news/index.php?id=6916638570693172546

You may use the sIBL/ HDR set commercially and if you like you can join the render compitition.

Also a preview of a new productline called HDRI Packs 360, first pack will be DS360 Autumn Pack -01 (http://www.bobgroothuis.com/blog/?p=5287). This Autumn pack -01 will be available in my online store about 20 november 2011. More versions will be made in the future, and yes will expand it with different kind of HDRI so not only skies.

Soon will post on this thread some other freebies news..stay tuned!

ps other recently launched news/ HDRI projects those can be seen on my website

Greetings

Bob

HDRI panorama photography for film & video,*VFX and more... from the Netherlands

Lewis
11-03-2011, 04:34 AM
Hi Bob!

So if i got it right we need to send renders to your e-mail or some FTP?

Bob Groothuis
11-03-2011, 04:39 AM
Hello Lewis,

Just send me renders by mail (mail att bobgroothuis dott com ) Then we can discus later how I get higher resolution renders.

But you are right will add that info too on the contest page (in a moment) ... completely forgot about that part.

Greetings & looking forward to your renders :)

Bob

Lewis
11-04-2011, 03:16 PM
I have another question :).

Is post-production (tonemapping, blurring, CA and similar smaller tweaks) allowed in Photoshop or paint or it has to be straight out render ?

Bob Groothuis
11-05-2011, 04:45 AM
Hello Lewis,

Tweak it the way you like if the base is still the HDR & the BG plate. Can you send me a before & after version?

Greetings

Bob

Lewis
11-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Hello Lewis,

Tweak it the way you like if the base is still the HDR & the BG plate. Can you send me a before & after version?

Greetings

Bob

Yes I can send you flat out render and adjusted one when done ;).

BTW did you update web page with info where to send files and all that ?

Bob Groothuis
11-06-2011, 01:11 AM
Yup updated the page!

Bob

zapper1998
11-06-2011, 12:44 PM
thank you

gerardstrada
11-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Stunning skies in this new Volume 4!

Thanks btw for the latest versions of the sIBL files for previous Volumes# (very useful)

Gerardo

xxiii
11-10-2011, 04:02 PM
OT but sort of related question: Are there any sIBLs that are sky-only, or sky and no man-made objects ground? In looking around, they all seem to be complete environments, at least the ones from the sIBL site.

For now, I'm trying out sIBL and faking sky-only by making the shadow-catcher ground thing opaque (or replacing it with my own ground), and moving the dome/light down slightly until all non-sky objects are hidden below the ground plane. I think it would be nice if the sIBL loader script had a "sky only" option to do this automatically, assuming this doesn't screw up the lighting too much (and would presumably require a horizon marker in the sIBL config file, if there isn't one already).

Otherwise, sIBL (the pre-made stuff and the loader, not the technique) seems to be of limited usefulness.

Lewis
11-10-2011, 04:10 PM
OT but sort of related question: Are there any sIBLs that are sky-only, or sky and no man-made objects ground? In looking around, they all seem to be complete environments, at least the ones from the sIBL site..

Isn't that given when set is 360 in all directions :)? How do you save sky only in X/Y/Z 360 ;)? Also since sIBL is base don real locations it's really not possible to make/take a photo it sky only unless you maybe mirror half of sphere and map same sky twice (up/down). But you always can tilt/rotate your camera up where sky is only visible (in sIBL) and use your own environment/gradient so I'm not sure i understand problem you have ?

xxiii
11-10-2011, 05:29 PM
I guess sIBL as presented is used for embedding CGI elements into otherwise real scenes. I'm trying to use it to provide realistic lighting (and sometimes clouds/sky) in otherwise completely synthetic scenes.

I'm Asking for a 360x180, does that make sense? (I'll provide the "lower half"). There are sky-only image libraries out there, just not with the convenient sIBL loader script (or rather, I guess the sIBL config file) (to automatically set up a sun light at the right position and angle, and map it onto a dome, and everything else sIBL does). Even if they did provide a sIBL config file, I'm not sure the sIBL loader can handle 360x180 (only 360x360)?

I suppose another option would be to black out the lower half of a 360x360 image (easy for a 360x180 sky image, just attach a 360x180 black rectangle on the bottom; could be difficult for existing 360x360 images depending on how much stuff is poking up and how far). And/or just have enough "stuff" in the scene that the original ground is not visible at all.

In 360x360 I suppose I could handle distant mountains and/or trees, but I'm basically looking for generic (foreground-wise) environments that aren't going to make someone go "I know where that is!".

Previously, I've manually set up my own skydomes for this (using 360x180 sky images), the sIBL script seems to be a convenient automatic way to set everything up (mainly, getting the sun-light at the correct intensity and position). Perhaps I'm trying to wield this tool incorrectly, but it seems like most of what the sIBL script does is just as applicable to skydome-only environments, if the content were available in sIBL form.

On relooking (at sIBL Archive (http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html)) I do see there are a few no man-made objects environments, at least.

Lewis
11-10-2011, 05:34 PM
When i don't want to see sIBL but still want to use it as sun/reflections i just go to sIBL object properties and hide them form camera so i can use my BG gradient or any kind of backgorund and still get nice reflections/lighting.

Blochi
11-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Hey xxiii,

FYI - there is no such thing like a 360/360 environment. The maximum vertical field of view you can ever achieve is 180 degrees, because that already covers everything from above you to below. 360/180 is already fully spherical.

What you're asking for, skydomes that have barely anything sticking out from the horizon, is exactly what Bob offers with his Dutch Skies collection. It's actually rather tough to find a location like that, because you must be either on perfectly flat ground, or on a very elevated position.

The sIBL sets in the archive are purposely chosen to for a wide variety of lighting situations. Quite often things below the horizon contribute a great deal of bounce light, that's why they are provided as fully spherical panoramas. It also has the advantage that you actually have a full background in the camera view, with a matching ground for your model to stand on. The illusion does fall apart whan you move the camera, but for stills this gives you a most complete result with the least amount of fuzz. Therefore these archive sets are most useful for quick test renders of a model under natural light. Some are rather specific, but some are more versatile. Again, for general skydomes as background for generic scenes I recommend the Dutch Skies collections.

Best,
Blochi

Bob Groothuis
11-12-2011, 04:18 AM
Sorry for the late response folks.... quick reply have to leave...

Been a bit offline lately... thanks Gerardo & Christian ... (& Lewis for your suggestion)

as promised here's the additional info too:

- 360Precision panoramic head - Atome (8mm) - added to prizes contest ( http://www.bobgroothuis.com/blog/?p=4655 )

- 10% Discount on 360Precision panorama heads ( http://www.bobgroothuis.com/blog/?p=5414)

Ps still one thing is waiting so will update it early next week.

Greetings

Bob

Lewis
11-12-2011, 04:23 AM
Nice addition Bob, that's very interesting boost to contest prizes :).

I might miss this but did you say somewhere until when this contest is open ?

Bob Groothuis
11-12-2011, 04:41 AM
Hey Lewis,

Yup think its now getting a bit more interesting to participate to the contest :)

Last entry date is 31 january 2012

Greetings

Bob

Lewis
11-12-2011, 04:48 AM
Last entry date is 31 january 2012

Ohh, that long :)? Then i'll need to make some more renders when my schedule cleans up little bit :).

xxiii
11-13-2011, 03:46 AM
Hey xxiii,

FYI - there is no such thing like a 360/360 environment. The maximum vertical field of view you can ever achieve is 180 degrees, because that already covers everything from above you to below. 360/180 is already fully spherical.

I was just thinking of the two axes independently, I see what you're saying though, I should have thought about it more carefully. Anyway, I'm talking about a dome or half-sphere, specifically the sky-half.

It's actually rather tough to find a location like that, because you must be either on perfectly flat ground, or on a very elevated position.

Yes, not to mention not having jet trails, birds, cloud motion and such. I suspect the sky-only collections I've seen (generally out of my price range, especially if you want HDR) have probably fudged things slightly (or possibly even CGI generated) to make a 360 sky-only image.

I'm just saying it would be nice if sIBL (loader script) had the option to generate a sky-only environment, which I think it could do with a little help in the sIBL parameter file in each sIBL set (A "horizon" parameter). It might distort the image slightly, but with images that are mostly sky anyway (like Dutch Skies), this shouldn't be too noticeable, especially if the sky is a partly or mostly obscured background element. Alternatively, it could map the sky correctly, leaving the remaining portion of the dome black or transparent, or maybe a color that is an average of the nearby color above it, and I can arrange my scene to make sure this portion of the dome is not visible.

Bob Groothuis
02-02-2012, 01:09 AM
Hello,

Just published the winners of the Dutch Skies 360 render contest Results 2011

http://www.bobgroothuis.com/blog/?p=5711

Greetings

Bob

HDRI panorama photography for film & video, VFX and more... from the Netherlands