PDA

View Full Version : Need help joining points for this character.

Philly85
11-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Hey I have been working on a character, problem is having mirrored the head cannot weld points or merge it without it looking awful with pinches in it, same goes for doing the points with feet to legs or arms to hands it all looks horrible when I weld the points together.

Anyone got any tips? Have uploaded the model for you to see, thanks.

nickdigital
11-02-2011, 12:41 PM
To properly mirror something you want to make sure your points are lined up on 0 X. I looked at your head model and it looks like you got some polys that are overlapping and improperly attached to some points.

Philly85
11-02-2011, 12:52 PM
That is brilliant thanks, do you see what I mean about the rest of the body though? It doesn't look right and I can't put my finger on what it is :(

I wanted to make the thing look whole rather than separate parts if you get me, It's a right mess that i've done it the way I have I know that, it just doesn't all fit together properly when I try to weld things together. I know their in separate layers but have put them in same layer and tried welding but goes horribly out of shape.

kevman3d
11-02-2011, 01:13 PM
As for tips - What I often do if I am modeling and attaching limbs separately is move the parts further away from each other so I have plenty of space to do the welding. Once things are connected, I'll move those parts back in to where they should sit.

Also, I'd try and model without subpatching initially to get the shape and form looking nice before doing that. The main reason is people tend to subpatch early, and then pull points apart etc to make it look nice. When they unsubpatch, the mesh can look extremely messy...

You're best to get that low-poly model looking close to your character before hitting tab... It makes for cleaner projects and less headaches later for something like this where you try to join up stuff with vertices all over the place...

Character modeling generally can be tricky stuff if you don't do it a lot... The techniques will come as you do more. There's also a lot of tutorials floating about the internet that can offer some more ideas for you to try... :thumbsup:

Philly85
11-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Just tried welding, throws things really out of shape, god know's how i'm going to fix it lol.

nickdigital
11-02-2011, 01:58 PM
Check that you don't have polys sitting on top of each other. You could try doing a Unify operation.

You're getting creases because your polyflow has problems.

Philly85
11-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Might sound like a stupid question but if you noticed the neck had ploys missing at the side of it where I cut away the shoulders, how do I put a poly back on the side? So that theres not a huge hole at the side if you get me.

nickdigital
11-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Select the points that border the missing space and use the make polygon tool. You probably want to keep this as quads so pick 4 points at a time. Or make a polygon out of the entire hole and then use the Add Edges tool to add your divisions.

Philly85
11-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks, thinking of trying to model the body from making the edges polygons and then using extender plus to shape the rest of the body.

Ryan Roye
11-02-2011, 05:06 PM
I like the wield average tool when wielding, it basically takes the average distance between the two or more points and meshes the point there, I find myself using that more often (but not exclusively) more than the regular wield tool. For me at least, it helps keep things smoother.

Philly85
11-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Got it almost complete now, could you take a look at this update model version please and tell me why I cannot join the hands onto the arm properly?

I have no idea what i'm doing wrong with it and its the final straw thats starting to get on my nerves lol, managed to join the legs even if there is a weird midriff problem that makes it look way to long but that will have to do.

Thanks.

nickdigital
11-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Got it almost complete now, could you take a look at this update model version please and tell me why I cannot join the hands onto the arm properly?

The poly count between the two sections don't match. Your arm ends with a single polygon (4 points) and your hand has what looks to be 4 polygons that can attach (8 points, just the outer ring of points).

Philly85
11-03-2011, 03:05 PM
I kind of get what you are saying, but how do I fix that? I'm somewhat of a newbie on Lightwave and still learning the terminology.

nickdigital
11-03-2011, 03:21 PM
IMHO you need more geometry in your arms. Just having a 4 sided box isn't going to give you enough geometry to define muscles and etc.

Philly85
11-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Tried that, makes everything messed up shape wise and blocky, I'm trying to add it with SHIFT + D

nickdigital
11-03-2011, 03:36 PM
I'd recommend reading this article. This has a good explanation of how geometry flow helps define structure.

Philly85
11-03-2011, 03:43 PM
What article mate? I see no link.

nickdigital
11-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Whoops.

http://www.pushingpoints.com/2010/06/go-with-the-flow/

Surrealist.
11-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Great looking article.

LightWiki has some good stuff also - in my sig.