PDA

View Full Version : Office interior

Boris Goreta
11-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Hey, this is my office interior render. It was done using LW native renderer. Curtains were modeled using ClothFX on subdivided plane. Image looks a bit dirty and grainy I know, that's my style by the way. :) Alright, I'll say it, I don't know how to do a clean interior render, fine.

http://www.borisgoreta.com/forum/interijer.jpg

alesxander
11-02-2011, 12:27 PM
it looks very nice. congrats

alesxander,
http://alesxander.com

Boris Goreta
11-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Interior scenes can get choked pretty fast with all those blurred reflections going around especially when combined with radiosity so I have an advice to give how to speed it up. Simply turn off blurred reflections for a surface that is dominant in the scene which is a wooden floor and a wall in this case, then let LW calculate radiosity in a cache, then turn back on blurred reflections and make a final render. This will speed up radiosity calculations very much and won't change the appearance much. This also holds for the light. I was using only one light as a sun which has soft shadows and this also slows down radiosity calculations. So I change it to directional when creating radiosity cache and then back to soft shadow light when rendering. The downside is that I often forget to change it back as can be seen in this render where the shadows stayed hard from simple directional light.

Lewis
11-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Grain is fine (i like it too) and render is very nice but what bothers me is visible banding on left side wall and light leaks at ceiling and right window frame. But that's kind of hard to get rid in current Lw radiosity interpolation (and maintain medium render times) so it's "normal" for interiors :).

good work there man.

Snosrap
11-02-2011, 09:55 PM
I like it Boris! Your curtains are pretty good too. Most homes/offices have some sort of baseboard around the floor though. :thumbsup:

erikals
11-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Like :]

to get rid of banding,

-use the lasso tool with feather
-use glass filter to add a very low amount of distortion
-if still too much distortion, use the reduce noise filter

-works! :]

kopperdrake
11-03-2011, 04:06 AM
Interior scenes can get choked pretty fast with all those blurred reflections going around especially when combined with radiosity so I have an advice to give how to speed it up. Simply turn off blurred reflections for a surface that is dominant in the scene which is a wooden floor and a wall in this case, then let LW calculate radiosity in a cache, then turn back on blurred reflections and make a final render. This will speed up radiosity calculations very much and won't change the appearance much. This also holds for the light. I was using only one light as a sun which has soft shadows and this also slows down radiosity calculations. So I change it to directional when creating radiosity cache and then back to soft shadow light when rendering. The downside is that I often forget to change it back as can be seen in this render where the shadows stayed hard from simple directional light.

Sweet render and sweet tips on speeding up interior shots - thanks :thumbsup:

I really need to have a bash at using Cloth FX for curtains...

Boris Goreta
11-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Thanks, light leaks around the left window are real, they are bounced from the curtain to the ceiling and the left wall, so hooray for LW renderer and my bad for modeling it that way. :thumbsup:

Grain is fine (i like it too) and render is very nice but what bothers me is visible banding on left side wall and light leaks at ceiling and right window frame. But that's kind of hard to get rid in current Lw radiosity interpolation (and maintain medium render times) so it's "normal" for interiors :).

good work there man.

Boris Goreta
11-03-2011, 07:06 AM
You are right about the baseboard, there can also be other refinements to the design but this is the level of detail the client wanted at the moment.

I like it Boris! Your curtains are pretty good too. Most homes/offices have some sort of baseboard around the floor though. :thumbsup:

Boris Goreta
11-03-2011, 07:15 AM
Here's the scene file for modeling curtains using clothfx. The trick is to use procedural displacement with higher Y scale compared to the other two axes to get some nice folds at the beginning of the simulation.

sony
11-12-2011, 07:51 AM
how was it rendered

Boris Goreta
11-12-2011, 07:54 AM
one light outside as a sun and radiosity

djwaterman
11-12-2011, 10:22 AM
This is great. Grainy works here. That was excellent tip for radiosity render. Thanks so much.

monovich
11-15-2011, 10:09 AM
lovely render! Love all the subtleties in the lighting. Nice design as well.

Bliz
11-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Nice image! I like it.

The reflection of the bottom of the picture frame on the round table on the left is interesting as it's very 'cool' in tone (very blue). Do you think it's something to do with the surface on the table?

Boris Goreta
11-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Honestly, I don't know why it is bluish :stumped:

djwaterman
11-20-2011, 01:38 AM
How do you get such a huge image to display like that? My images link back to Photobucket and they always display much smaller that the original.

Boris Goreta
11-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Use Manage Attachments:

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=99691&stc=1&d=1321806263

to upload images, then copy links

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=99689&stc=1&d=1321806201

and paste them using insert image

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=99690&stc=1&d=1321806208

abdelkarim
11-20-2011, 03:17 PM
i think need some area lights and wall color its not pure white . and some good setup for radiosity as u can see in top left corner missing some calculation . kray is Great about gi . :D . and Fast.

SBowie
11-20-2011, 03:29 PM
How do you get such a huge image to display like that? My images link back to Photobucket and they always display much smaller that the original.Just for the record, I think most of us hate it when someone posts a large image like that, as it means you have to scroll even just to read the posts. And doing so does not produce any actual benefit.

When you click on the thumbnail icon for a (normal) attached image, it enlarges to fill the pane. If you click on it a second time, it expands to full size, and shows scrollbars - just as though you had gone to all that extra bother. (Try this with the thumbnail icon in the first post in this thread to see what I mean).

Boris Goreta
11-20-2011, 03:58 PM
I believe people open such links primarily to see the work, not comments.
I personally dislike little thumbs and the fact that I have to click on each one to see it properly. This way I can find the work that interests me more quickly. Based on the image which is instantly visible I can decide weather to engage in a discussion or not so I don't mind scrolling. If the image is not interesting I won't even bother reading the comments.

My browser does not enlarge the small thumb when clicked, it opens them in another tab on a white background which clutters my browsing experience. (Chrome)

Internet Explorer behaves the same way. Opens it in another tab.

Just for the record, I think most of us hate it when someone posts a large image like that, as it means you have to scroll even just to read the posts. And doing so does not produce any actual benefit.

When you click on the thumbnail icon for a (normal) attached image, it enlarges to fill the pane. If you click on it a second time, it expands to full size, and shows scrollbars - just as though you had gone to all that extra bother. (Try this with the thumbnail icon in the first post in this thread to see what I mean).

SBowie
11-21-2011, 06:34 AM
I personally dislike little thumbs and the fact that I have to click on each one to see it properly.It's ok to 'agree to disagree'. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone though.:)

stevenpalomino
01-01-2012, 09:26 PM
you're not alone. I have to scroll to the side to read the posts.. I guess it's a resolution thing.. i rather keep reading and ctrl click all images to view them later.