PDA

View Full Version : import / export?

andromeda_girl
10-14-2003, 10:06 PM
perhaps this is flogging a dead horse, but is there a 'decent' way to import max or maya files into LW?

and vice versa?

anthing that is available and 'works'?

~A.

Ben_Chapé
10-15-2003, 12:44 AM
Well,
A Free solution if you got both apps installed :
You can probably use the .fbx (kaydara format) using the plugs to convert the datas.
install the plug ins

max fbx export -> lightwave fbx import

more infos on kaydara's site : http://www.kaydara.com
Warning, it wont work with subd & extra features .(procedural shading, weights...)

I know new 3d exploration has scene conversion features too but you'll probably get some weird result with lightwave scene :(
New versions will probably handle it .

Good luck :p

andromeda_girl
10-15-2003, 10:15 AM
yeah, tried that fbx thing, kinda useless, as you can only import and export entire scenes, not just a model, and it has just way too many limitations between platforms.

it turns a low poly object into a zilliuon poly object , and also expands a little 125kb file into like more than 2MB, so not really my idea of usefull.

trying to find some magic thang that actually works...

probably just wishful thinking right now.
thanks anyways.
~A.

bloontz
10-15-2003, 10:46 AM
I take it the direct model import didn't work for you? If you describe the problems you are having someone might be able to help. I don't use maya but I use the .obj format to move models between programs that I use and it has worked well for me.

andromeda_girl
10-15-2003, 10:48 AM
we'll see if this makes any difference, thanks.

bloontz
10-15-2003, 11:30 AM
some things to be aware of

sometimes the object is really big when imported so the camera is inside of it and it isn't visible. hit the "a" key to fit the obj to the view.

sometimes normals are flipped, the object looks inside out. hit the "f" key to flip the normal.

if the model is organically shaped may need to hit the tab key to turn on subdivision surfaces.