PDA

View Full Version : Does this Modeler Plugin Exists for 9-slice scaling

sami
10-31-2011, 11:02 PM
Hi,

I've searched the net and the lwplugindb to no avail...

Does anyone know of a plugin or LScript that allows for 9-slice scaling? Or proportional scaling with some polys "froze" and not scaling but just translating?

Say I have a ornate modeled picture frame I am trying to get to a specific aspect ratio, I might like to scale it so the repeating polys scale but the ornate parts don't. If you've played with Illustrator or Flash you know what I am talking about. See this diagram for what I mean:
http://i.imgur.com/KCmot.jpg

Surely a Lightwave Modeler plugin such as this exists? I have LWCad in case you can do this with that?

Ideally there would be a LW Modeler plugin that would let you create a part or select polys that dont scale, but do translate, and then scale everything - and also allow you to specify exact measurements of that.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks! :)

wrench
11-01-2011, 04:15 AM
If you upgrade to LWCAD 4 and make your picture frame into a Lib 3D object, you have that possibility. Otherwise, why not select the corners in Point mode and move them, or just cut them off the model and repaste them in their correct places once you have sized the rest. There are lots of other ways to do it as well, like Weight Maps for the built-in Scale tool's falloffs, etc.

B

3DGFXStudios
11-01-2011, 05:33 AM
You can use nulls/bones and weightmaps or morphs if you want to animate that in layout.

JeffrySG
11-01-2011, 11:52 AM
I don't know of anything like this for modeler - script wise. I think there would need to be an understanding of what the objects actually are so they can be scaled correctly that's why LWCAD would be your best bet. Modeler does not think of objects like that. When I need to scale models like that I just go in a select the points I need to move and move them so the center areas stretch and the ends don't change shape. It's pretty easy but if you need to make many adjustments I can see it not being as quick as you'd like.

nickdigital
11-01-2011, 12:17 PM
I use the translate tool with Symmetry on to do something like what you're describing.

erikals
11-01-2011, 01:11 PM
another way...

sami
11-01-2011, 03:07 PM
another way...

Not quite what I was after, but for your example it works; and as long as I've used lightwave I've never heard of the Snap Drag Tool - Buried in the plethora of menus.

I've always longed for a really awesome way to organize LW's functions - maybe a spotlight (search box) tool would be a good thing for the UI?

sami
11-01-2011, 03:11 PM
You can use nulls/bones and weightmaps or morphs if you want to animate that in layout.

Good idea, but I kind of need it in Modeler as I'd rather not go the whole Modeler > Layout > Save Transformed route if possible.

How can you use Weight Maps to do what I describe? I tried it this way in Modeler and weight maps on the scale doesn't translate the points in one move?

See what I mean with this sample:

sami
11-01-2011, 03:13 PM
I use the translate tool with Symmetry on to do something like what you're describing.

thanks :) I was just kinda hoping there was an easier way in one move.

Maybe even with scaling features like this:

sami
11-01-2011, 03:16 PM
If you upgrade to LWCAD 4 and make your picture frame into a Lib 3D object, you have that possibility. Otherwise, why not select the corners in Point mode and move them, or just cut them off the model and repaste them in their correct places once you have sized the rest. There are lots of other ways to do it as well, like Weight Maps for the built-in Scale tool's falloffs, etc.

B

I didn't know that was possible in there. As far as I know LWCad 4 is not released yet? Do you know when it is planned for release? I couldn't see that on the website. Making library objects like this would be good for building things for games.