PDA

View Full Version : Training DVD questions

K-Dawg
10-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Hi Folks,

I have a question to the ones that have written books or even produced training DVDs.

How do y'all charge the price or deal your income with the publishers? I've been offered to make a training DVD for the upcoming verion of Gimp in German and have been offered a fix price. I will receive a certain amount per minute of video, but have to also write a text tutorial for each video.

What I would like to know is, what is a good price to deal per video minute and what is the better price model so that I as a trainer and producer of the DVD don't get fed off with the lowest possible share on the sales?

If you don't want to answer publically I understand, please send me PM regarding in that case. I promise not to release any infos then.

Greetz

K-Dawg
10-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Does nobody have any expirience with this?

I desperatley need some advice, please help me guys.

Greetz

kevman3d
11-01-2011, 12:14 AM
I can't say much about fixed price for development since books just give you advanced royalties based on completion of work at mile stones. The DVD stuff I did for free, with royalty payments afterwards when it went on sale.

For working out if its a good deal, you simply have to calculate the time you think its going to take to develop your stuff (and if that means providing edited and final material, don't forget to include editing time, processing of video, etc).

Work out if what they are paying would cover your time.

Most publishers tend to have their own royalty % (I think print is around the 7-15% mark) so I dunno whether you're going to get a good deal or not. If you want a rough guideline, then there's a pretty nice article on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royalties#Mechanical_royalties) that overviews a wide range of royalty %'s)

It suggests a 1.75 cents-per-minute on content, so you could use that as a guide.

K-Dawg
11-02-2011, 04:45 AM
Thanks for your answer. In that case I'm having a bad deal since I have to write everything as text and record as video. It won't be a book, well maybe it will. PDF File with all videos in text format.

Oh well....