PDA

View Full Version : what animation software are you use ?

nightrider
10-30-2011, 11:20 AM
What are the best animations software to use what I can se its hard to use lg so all works corectly so what software do you use to animate ?

c5m7b4
10-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Im definately no expert, but from what I have been learning, why not use Lightwave. You have already modeled and textured up your objects and created your scene. You can animate the lights and the cameras. Plus there are tons of plugin lights and cameras to extend the functionality. I am just doing the basics and I have been amazed so far as to what you can accomplish. Plus you already have built in network rendering functionality too!! What more do you need?? I keep finding myself wanting to purchase Maya or 3DS Max, but every day that I learn more about lightwave, I keep saying, 'Why would you need more?'. Plus if you compare the prices between the others and Lightwave, there is definately no comparison there.

Ryan Roye
10-31-2011, 04:11 AM
Lightwave has been an excellent animation tool for my needs.

For certain things like animated 2d textures (IE: holographic screens), I use flash to accomplish that.

alexs3d
10-31-2011, 04:55 AM
what kind of animation do you mean, character animation, animation with mocap data, general basic animation without bones... ???

you have all the functionality in lightwave :)
ok there are software they are specialized, maybe for working with mocap data.

you do not need the BEST animation software to do good animations !!! ;)

UnCommonGrafx
10-31-2011, 05:01 AM
Nightrider,
Your question begs so many other questions.

Use what works for you; don't buy the hype.
If it feels foreign to you, but is labelled the BEST ever, what would you do?

Pencil and paper worked for many for a long time. If you are a beginner, and have little insight into the art of digital animation, try every demo available. Your mind is still pliable so that the best won't be so foreign if you learn enough.

Trick question.

Danner
10-31-2011, 05:30 AM
For character animation Messiah is really nice and it works really well with LW.

akademus
10-31-2011, 06:07 AM
For animation LW, I see no reasons why not. For CA here in the studio we use Maya.

GraphXs
11-02-2011, 06:32 PM
If you own LW already give that a go first, if you hit the wall with what you need to do animation wise, ask the forums for help before looking into other apps. You could try blender as a another option...it is free.

Greenlaw
11-02-2011, 09:29 PM
I still use Lightwave to animate for personal projects, although lately I've been using Motion Builder a lot mainly because I like to create 'home brew' mocap films at home. In general, the two programs work well together, but I also need to use Maya to fix weighting issues with my exported LW rigs because Lightwave's joints system is flawed in that it assigns weights to the child joint rather than the parent. This situation makes it awkward not just for compatibility with other programs but for rigging within Lightwave as well. If they would just address that, all would be good for me. :)

That said, Lightwave's bones system works well and is very capable, especially if you're keeping everything within Lightwave. Arguably, it's not as ideal for mocap as joints are (which would be very ideal if they fixed the above issue) but generally speaking Lightwave bones are very good for almost everything but the most advanced rigging techniques.

All we need now is a way to paint weights and edit morphs in Layout.

At work I use Maya for CA but I do not rig in it; we have other people there who are far more expert for this than I care to be. I do still use Lightwave at work to animate just about everything else.

Short answer: ain't nothing wrong with using Lightwave for animation, especially if you already own it.

G.