PDA

View Full Version : Parent In Place

daz1761
10-30-2011, 07:49 AM
Hi

I am in the middle of a character animation and IK rigging tutorial and I am using the Schematic view to parent bones with Null objects which is pretty straight forward by clicking one object then CTRL clicking the other.

Later in the tutorial, he lines up a Null object with the main hand bone by disabling the Parent in Place option but my null is nowhere near where it should be, its rotational values seem to be but its position in not as demonstrated by my picture.

Also I was just wondering exactly what disabling the Parent in Place meant as it still seems to look parented in the Schematic view?

Many thanks

RebelHill
10-30-2011, 07:56 AM
Parent in place does what it says... keeps items in place (in space) when parented to other items... with it off, items will "jump" to new positions, as they keep their local position/rotation/scale values, and reinterpret these as relative to those of the new parent.

daz1761
10-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Parent in place does what it says... keeps items in place (in space) when parented to other items... with it off, items will "jump" to new positions, as they keep their local position/rotation/scale values, and reinterpret these as relative to those of the new parent.

That makes a lot of sense now, thanks...

But I wonder why do my objects not jump to that exact relative posistion, they seem to be jumping into a random position while maintaining the rotation only?

When this is demonstrated on my tutorial it does exactly as you interpenetrated above?

RebelHill
10-30-2011, 08:42 AM
The objects DO ALWAYS jump to the EXACT relative position... you may have missed something else somewhere (most likely a translation on the item becoming the parent) which is causing you to not "see" it happening that way... but trust me... it is.