PDA

View Full Version : LW parts to Zbrush polygroups ?

Emmanuel
10-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Hi folks, using 9.5 here, trying to get an lwo exported as an *.obj but keeping the parts I defined in modeler for the lwo.
In theory it was said zBrush reads the *.obj and creates polygroups for the parts, so that a complicated model can easily be sculpted.
Doesnt seems to work, using UV Master to create an UV map based on polygroups, it only creates one island based on one polygroup (the whole mesh).

Steps I took:

1.Create parts in modeler
2.Export *.obj
3.Import *.obj into zBrush
4.Use UV Master and check "Create Islands based on Polygroups"
5.Fail

Did I forget something ?
When I use surfaces I can can check "Mat to Polygroup" in zBrush, and it works.Now what about parts ?

Sensei
10-31-2011, 01:21 AM
By polygroups they probably mean continuous group of connected polygons sharing same points. You can test it by making some obj and then selecting some polygons and cutting and pasting (no merging or welding) and then exporting such..
If so, then you need something that will convert parts to unconnected polygon groups.

MUCUS
10-31-2011, 02:00 AM
Hi Emmanuel!

No you're not missing somethings...have you check the Zbrush options in modeler before exporting your object? (don't know if it is in 9.5)

I don't know UVmaster, but just by activating the polyframe in Zbrush you'll see if parts are here or not. (they should have different colors, and you should be able to mask/show them by control/clic)

I'm using the method you describe right now and it's working perfectly...now maybe a silly a question, but you're well hitting the "create part" button under "selection sets"?

Emmanuel
10-31-2011, 02:11 AM
Yepp, I do: Detail--->Parts--->Create Part.

MUCUS
10-31-2011, 03:19 AM
Alright, and do you have the name of created parts in the polygon statistics panels in modeler? And if so, is Zbrush able to show you polygroups when activating the polyframe display option?

lertola2
11-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Looks like the Obj zbrush mode on command does not exist in 9.6. I see it in 10.1 and I can export parts to zbrush polygroups with lightwave 10.1.

lertola2
11-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Oh and Mucus there is an eerie similarity between your avatar and mine.

Algae998
11-03-2011, 09:18 PM
I have 9.6 and I have OBJ ZBrush Mode. This maybe a repeat of the others, but make sure that is enabled in general options, or "o" by default.
After you've created your parts, you can double check they're there in the polygon statistics panel (w key).
After that, you should be able to export the model and import it into Zbrush and enable polyframe view and see the different poly groups.

Hope it helps, its handy to have.

bobakabob
02-24-2013, 04:34 AM
I don't have a problem getting an obj from LW -> ZB but how do you get ZB polygroups back into Lightwave? Either as surfaces or parts?

Any advice gratefully received :)

Sensei
02-24-2013, 04:55 AM
Attach one such ZB obj, so I can take a look.
Small poly/point count.

Marcia
02-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Even using GoZ and GoLW, exporting from Zbrush to LW seems to strip part names (and wire color!). Can you select the individual poly islands in a LW UV viewport (this is assuming you unwrapped the model in Zbrush) and simply rename the parts? That's the workaround I use. An actual solution would be better, tho.

bobakabob
02-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Attach one such ZB obj, so I can take a look.
Small poly/point count.

Thanks Sensei, hope you can find a solution. ZBrush seems to strip all the info out of the object when exporting. No surfaces, no parts information. I've looked for export options in Preferences. Btw this is done not using GoZ.

Marcia, cheers, I love ZBrush but can't understand why a major 3D modelling app seems so restricted on its export options. Is there anyone here using GoZ who doesn't have this problem or who knows the right button to press? :)

Sensei
02-24-2013, 02:58 PM
ZB to LW obj, I guess so, is what ZBrush exported?

I tried loading it using TrueOBJImport
http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/TrueOBJImport
and surfaces are imported fine..

That's how it should looks like?

bobakabob
02-24-2013, 03:29 PM
ZB to LW obj, I guess so, is what ZBrush exported?

I tried loading it using TrueOBJImport
http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/TrueOBJImport
and surfaces are imported fine..

That's how it should looks like?

Hi Sensei, great that it works with your plugin, I must check it out. So it's not a problem with Zbrush after all...
What happens when you just use Lightwave to import? Is there a limitation of some kind? The surfaces aren't showing. Is there an import preferences button I've missed? I'm guessing that's why you developed the plugin...
Really appreciate your help :)

Sensei
02-24-2013, 03:40 PM
What happens when you just use Lightwave to import?

There is just "Default" surface.

lertola2
02-24-2013, 08:49 PM
A great feature that zbrush has when exporting obj files is that zbrush includes vertex color information in the file. I would love to find a way to turn this information into a Lightwave vertex color map.

gordonrobb
02-25-2013, 05:10 AM
I would appreciate this. It would be so much easier to be able to define my poly groups in Modeller, and the GoZ it back over to Zbrush, but I can't for the life of my figure out how to make it work.

Anyone getting this feature to work properly? (or should I say as expected)

bazsa73
02-25-2013, 07:22 AM
I would appreciate this. It would be so much easier to be able to define my poly groups in Modeller, and the GoZ it back over to Zbrush, but I can't for the life of my figure out how to make it work.

Anyone getting this feature to work properly? (or should I say as expected)

Forget the parts, use surfaces instead in LW, and check in Zbrush on the preferences panel/menu whatever that in the exportimport menu
materials to group is checked

bazsa73
02-25-2013, 07:33 AM
So one more time.
-Define your surfaces in LW (parts are not working)
-Export OBJ
-Make sure in zbrush under preferences/import/export: "import materials as polygroups" is checked on
-import OBJ

doesn't work with GoZ

lertola2
02-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Forget the parts, use surfaces instead in LW, and check in Zbrush on the preferences panel/menu whatever that in the exportimport menu
materials to group is checked

Thanks for this tip. That works when you export obj. Goz does not work properly as bazsa73 said.

bazsa73
02-25-2013, 01:31 PM
But it works in 9.6! That is indeed big strangeness. I mean, OBJ with parts goes through but in 11.5 OBJ with parts doesn't have any effect.
Would be nice if the developers could fix that.

bobakabob
02-25-2013, 02:20 PM
But it works in 9.6! That is indeed big strangeness. I mean, OBJ with parts goes through but in 11.5 OBJ with parts doesn't have any effect.
Would be nice if the developers could fix that.

Agreed, Lightwave is a great complement to Zbrush but unfortunately there are still issues with the basic obj file import into LW. Sensei's plugin allowing import of polygroups is a solution in the meantime. Hopefully the LW3DG will address this soon.

Something I don't quite get is that there's 'Maya' and 'Modo' but no mention of Lightwave in the GoZ preferences. I haven't used GoZ yet as despite the surface / polygroup niggles it's pretty straightforward working between the apps applying normal and displacement maps without a formal link. What exactly are the advantages of GoZ and how does one get started?

Marcia
02-25-2013, 03:27 PM
One advantage I've noticed with GoZ is that your model doesn't get scaled or repositioned arbitrarily, as it sometimes does when exporting an .obj from LW to your objects folder, then importing it from there to Zbrush, then exporting the Zbrush .obj into the folder, then importing it back into LW. If you use GoZ and keep LW running in background your model will maintain the scale and position originally assigned in LW. Maybe not such a big deal if you're sending the entire model to Zbrush at once, but certainly a plus if you're working on individual parts of a model and want them to stay properly integrated.

Does anyone know the purpose/meaning of Obj "Reverse ka & kd" (in the LW Obj preferences tab) relative to Zbrush?

Sensei
02-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Ka = color ambient
Kd = color diffuse

Marcia
02-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Ka = color ambient
Kd = color diffuse

Aha! That explains some things. Thanks!

bazsa73
02-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Agreed, Lightwave is a great complement to Zbrush but unfortunately there are still issues with the basic obj file import into LW. Sensei's plugin allowing import of polygroups is a solution in the meantime. Hopefully the LW3DG will address this soon.

Something I don't quite get is that there's 'Maya' and 'Modo' but no mention of Lightwave in the GoZ preferences. I haven't used GoZ yet as despite the surface / polygroup niggles it's pretty straightforward working between the apps applying normal and displacement maps without a formal link. What exactly are the advantages of GoZ and how does one get started?

The advantage is less click. GoZ export the object, opens it for you, if you have textures generated in ZB they go through as well. You can do your morph sculptin too in ZB etc. etc. You start with installing and doing smg simple and see if it works.
It should. :)

bobakabob
06-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Polygroups are still not importing from ZB -> Lightwave in 11.6... :grumpy:

Julez4001
08-13-2013, 12:36 AM
I thought they fixed it in Lightwave 11.5.1 ?

gordonrobb
08-13-2013, 02:23 AM
What I want - need is to be able to have Polygroups in Zbrush (either created in there, or in LW), that don't get screwed up when I use GoZ. D

bobakabob
08-13-2013, 08:22 AM
What I want - need is to be able to have Polygroups in Zbrush (either created in there, or in LW), that don't get screwed up when I use GoZ. D

I haven't installed the very latest version of LW 11.6 so are obj ZB polygroups still not importing into LW?

gordonrobb
08-13-2013, 08:43 AM
Don't know - neither have I :)

lertola2
08-13-2013, 08:00 PM
This is frustrating because I believe we were told that this would be fixed in Lightwave 11.5.1. I just tried exporting parts from lightwave modeler in 11.5.1 and 11.6. I was not able to get the parts into zbrush as polygroups with either version. It did not work with goz or .obj export. Of course I don't think we were ever promised getting polygroups back from zbrush but that would sure be nice also.

Mr Rid
08-13-2013, 08:18 PM
If I make a simple object in Modeler with different parts specified, export as obj, import right back into Modeler, then the parts are gone. Same problem in LW96. I doubt this ever worked.

bazsa73
08-14-2013, 12:59 AM
C'mon Rob, do something!