PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Battlefield 3 anyone? Here's mine.

Snosrap
10-30-2011, 12:16 AM
I think I need to start playing the multiplayer portion of the game, as the campaign is putting me to sleep. How is it possible that a big budget FPS campaign be so bad when the developers probably spent more time on it then the multiplayer? Have we not progressed in game design in the last 30 years? Apparently not. Developers don't seem to be tackling the biggest issue with single player campaigns – artificial intelligence. Huge amounts of scientific research and effort is put into dynamic simulations and 3D graphics, but the AI hasn’t progressed in 30 years. The designers/programmers are still after 30 years relying on invisible trigger spots and QT events to move the game along. The developer will no doubt claim that all this is to move the story along. Story? It’s a video game for goodness sake! If I want a story I’ll read a book or watch a movie. I play ping-pong with my son, there’s no story there – just fun. Video game designers need to think fun first and then if they want to make a story of it, fine put it in there. Where is the fun in the designer holding your hand through the whole game – “go here do this and then go over there and do that. Oh, BTW you better do it in this order because we are poor designers/coders and if you try to get through the level your way you’ll never finish.” Early in the game you are with your squad on a roof pinned down by a "sniper" from an adjacent hi-res hotel. You are told to follow your squad going cover to cover behind AC units etc. Well I thought (stupid me) that I would make a run for it and go to the right and take cover behind the short brick wall. There were openings in the wall and I was able to find the “sniper” behind a window. The position of the “sniper” was given away by a glint from his scope. Well, stupid me, I thought I would take him out with my sniper. I unloaded round after round into that glint, after about 5 minutes of that I realized that there probably really wasn’t a “sniper” there -only a magic bullet that instantly killed you if you got up. BTW while I’m out there trying to take out that “sniper” the rest of my squad is cowering behind one of several AC units. It wasn’t until I died and started that section again and I hopped from cover to cover following my squad that I was rewarded with a rocket launcher to take out that whole floor and therefore the “sniper”. I’m convinced that I could have fired that rocket launcher up into the sky and it would have still killed that “sniper” – but stupid me, I actually aimed. What crap. BF3’s campaign is a laugher. The 2011 version Dragon's Lair. Please be warned, if you are a single player gamer, there is no fun to be had with BF3. I’ll report on the multiplayer as soon as I get the chance.

probiner
10-30-2011, 03:04 AM
I played the Beta... Snipers suck... back to BFBC2... =)
BF3 want full speed on visuals. But I think some of them are just noise for a gaming stand point.

You most understand that most fps hardcore players are MP gamers. They look to test they're skill and intelligence against other skills and intelligences, something you can't do against an AI without facing dumb-mode or god-mode AI.
Best way to enjoy it would be within a Teamspeaker.

Cheers

Andy Meyer
10-30-2011, 01:23 PM
yup, the campaign mode in bf3 is just trianing imho. bf2 had no campaign. bf is mp.
the most irritating thing about bf3 (pc) is the webbrowser based battlelog. maybe this is good in some situations or for some type of players, but i dont like. but i just started playing bf3... maybe i will like it eventually.

Bill Carey
10-31-2011, 07:55 AM
Yep, everything you say about the SP is true. The voice acting isn't bad, but a real plot would be nicer. It's basically on rails, I got a little farther than your post and went straight for the MP. Don't know if I'll ever finish it. Tried the multiplayer on Friday, turned on all the USA servers and there were a grand total of 26 active for the millions of copies sold. Getting in and staying in a game was problematic, typical EA launch.

I'm Redeyes on xbox live if you're a console gamer.

Snosrap
10-31-2011, 08:36 AM
I got to the point where you crawl through the window on onto the toilet to get into the hotel and flank the enemy. I couldn't get by the bad guy that jumps my comrade and I, so after a half dozen attempts I decided to screw it and move on to multiplayer. MP seems to be where its at. I played for about two hours yesterday and really enjoyed it. The maps are huge. Im on Xbox Live as Snosrap. :thumbsup:

safetyman
10-31-2011, 11:25 AM
The campaign is just a "freebie" for those that like that sort of thing. The MP is the meat of the game and is meant to be what BF is all about. I actually like the campaign, but it's not meant to be anything more than an extra mode thrown in. Don't put too much stock into it. Try the Coop mode also -- lots of fun there.

Andrewstopheles
10-31-2011, 11:56 AM
BF is definitely MP.

WillBellJr
10-31-2011, 02:03 PM
Yep, scripted, scripted, scripted - definitely learned to make sure my games aren't the same!

Glad to see my internal feeling about the campaign game play are being validated by similar experiences from others - it's not "just me".

I'll try the multiplayer next...

-Will

Danner
10-31-2011, 04:30 PM
The 2011 version Dragon's Lair.

Then Matt should digg it!

I really enjoy the BF series, for what they are, good team based multyplayer games. I don't really enjoy single player first person shooters anymore, the last one that I had fun with was Halo 1. I might have played too many of them or something but I find myself mid game now just wanting them to end. On the otherhand.. Online is like an addiction. I always want just one more game.. and another..

Dangit we lost.. I can't go go bed defeated.. besides I know how I can beat this guys now. ahh that was close.. we'll get them on the next round.. finally a win! we rule.. I'll just own these noobs one more time before bed.. yes! now I'm too pumped up to go to bed.. are those birds singing in game or outside? OMG sun is comming out..

Philbert
11-01-2011, 04:13 PM
I haven't played it yet, only seen some in game footage. It looks too real to me. I was happy with BF 1942.

MSherak
11-08-2011, 11:22 AM
I played the Beta... Snipers suck... back to BFBC2... =)

Get your player up and sniper rocks..

probiner
11-08-2011, 11:28 AM
..and sniper rocks.. really, you want to go there? ;D

4dartist
11-08-2011, 12:27 PM
I agree with a lot of the comments. I've only gotten through some of the campaign, but basically its one of those games that just force you down a pretty pre-animated path. It's lame.

I tried to snipe that dude in the window too.. as soon as I realized you had to get him with the rocket, i was really disappointed. The best games have tons of solutions to the same problems. Baulder's Gate? You could literally get put in over your head, out numbered, out leveled, and somehow you could figure a way through the battle and when you finished you were so pumped up you couldn't help but fall in love with the game.

There was another early moment in the game that made me roll my eyes.. There was some RPG guys in a dark windows and you were placed in some parking lot area and just had to shoot at a bunch of guys coming at you. Well I advanced and got on their flank (who wouldn't?) and at one point i found a crack in a wall that let me at the perfect flank and it gave me out of mission zone warning.. I was thinking are you kidding me!? it's 2 feet over and the dudes are right there.. wow.. feels so real... not.

The BF2 multiplayer was a blast though, so I'm really hoping BF3 is too. I'm going to try it out tonight.

Snosrap
11-08-2011, 07:32 PM
The BF2 multiplayer was a blast though, so I'm really hoping BF3 is too. I'm going to try it out tonight. I'm having fun with it. I can't imagine anyone not. I never played Baulder's Gate, but I know what you mean by multiple solutions. I think the biggest obstacle is that a lot of todays studios - DICE,Infinity Ward and others - don't really want to make games. They would much rather be making movies. So they set out to make these interactive movies instead of concentrating on making a game. One of my favorite games is Halo and I played that game through more than a half a dozen times and I have read in the magazines/internet that there is a story in that game as well. Never really knew it or cared, Halo is a game first and foremost. If i were a game developer I'd concentrate on giving the player the control and latitude to play how they want, BF3's campaign is a "follow the blue triangle and do what your told in the order we've decided for you" game. I don't even want to call it a game it would have been more enjoyable if I could have hit a "play" button and just sat back and watched.:D

Andy Meyer
11-09-2011, 06:15 AM
BF3 is really great, i just have not enought spare time at the moment :-( BF3 is much more complicated than BF2, needs some time to get familiar with... maybe it's my age :-) but it rocks!

safetyman
11-09-2011, 01:43 PM
The COOP missions are great too. Really challenging. They're more like an extension of the singleplayer, but are more fun IMO. It sucks, though, when you get almost all the way done and you both die, forcing you and your buddy to start over! "Sorry I crashed the chopper and killed us both dude. Care to try again?"

Snosrap
11-09-2011, 07:12 PM
I'll have to give co-op a try.:thumbsup:

biliousfrog
11-22-2011, 02:08 PM
I got the game on launch (was my birthday) but have only recently had time to install and play (PC all the way for FPS).

I've played a few MP games now. I can't say that I like it much so far. I was hoping for a worthy successor to COD MW but it just doesn't seem as natural to play IMO. The vehicles are great fun, reminds me of COD United Offensive back in the day but I find myself getting really frustrated with the rest of the game, especially the web browser interface. I guess I just need to get used to it but I seem to be able to empty a full clip into someone online from a few feet and they'll take one shot and kill me...it isn't an enjoyable experience so far. Perhaps I need to play on a console with the aimbot enabled.

The campaign was quite dull. It started badly with the train carriage part, after several attempts I had to look online to find out why I kept falling off the side when it told me to hit space (x)...I think that I'll need another keyboard after the hammering it's had.

The AI is really bad. I managed to knife a number of enemies in the game that were just looking in the wrong direction. At other times, if I'd previously died, I would run to the spawn points and take out the bots before moving on, it was very predictable.

Snosrap
11-22-2011, 06:12 PM
The game just isn't as polished as the COD games either. I'm having a good deal of fun in MP playing the Rush mode. It really makes for a realistic battle experiance. I really suck, but I don't care. In some of the maps I just sit back from afar with a sniper and watch the battles unfold. It seems crazy real to me. One thing that is superior to any other game I have ever played is the sound. Wow it really works.

biliousfrog
11-23-2011, 02:20 AM
The game just isn't as polished as the COD games either. I'm having a good deal of fun in MP playing the Rush mode. It really makes for a realistic battle experiance. I really suck, but I don't care. In some of the maps I just sit back from afar with a sniper and watch the battles unfold. It seems crazy real to me. One thing that is superior to any other game I have ever played is the sound. Wow it really works.

I wrote my previous post while waiting for BF3 to update, then got stuck in to some large conquest battles. I've got to say that the large battles were amazing to take part in. I was getting really frustrated with the standard maps but playing on a huge battlefield, with 60+ other people, helicopters, tanks, jets...awesome. When everyone worked together it was a brilliant experience and it totally changed my view on the game.

At one point, while playing on one of the large desert maps (I don't know the names yet), I jumped on a heli as it was leaving the base along with several others. We were flown over the battlefield, covering our comrades on the way, ground vehicles rumbling underneath throwing up dust clouds, rockets flying past...the heli dropped us at a control point and returned to base to pick up more. Watching it return with more troops almost brought a tear to my eye...it was an amazing experience.

Snosrap
11-23-2011, 10:42 AM
I wrote my previous post while waiting for BF3 to update, then got stuck in to some large conquest battles. I've got to say that the large battles were amazing to take part in. I was getting really frustrated with the standard maps but playing on a huge battlefield, with 60+ other people, helicopters, tanks, jets...awesome. When everyone worked together it was a brilliant experience and it totally changed my view on the game.

At one point, while playing on one of the large desert maps (I don't know the names yet), I jumped on a heli as it was leaving the base along with several others. We were flown over the battlefield, covering our comrades on the way, ground vehicles rumbling underneath throwing up dust clouds, rockets flying past...the heli dropped us at a control point and returned to base to pick up more. Watching it return with more troops almost brought a tear to my eye...it was an amazing experience.

Yeah that does sound awesome. XBox only supports 24 players and I don't do PC games.:D

Matt
11-24-2011, 02:52 AM
I'm playing this instead, a ton of fun, even if the graphics aren't up to BF3 standards.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/41070

EA's Origin and BF3 web-based server brower killed it for me.

biliousfrog
11-24-2011, 03:19 AM
Now that I've found some servers that I like I can almost forgive Origin and the web-based browser...I am really disappointed that there isn't support for dedicated servers though, that is something that I will always miss from COD. Those LW user MW matches were hilarious, as were the many I played with other friends over LAN and online.

SS3 looks a bit too old-skool for me although I'm sure it would be fun with friends in the same room.

rwhunt99
11-28-2011, 02:59 PM
I loved BF2, and I was talking to my nephew about what he was playing and he (used to be big MW fan) told me he just loves BF3 and turned me on to black Friday deal at Best Buy for $30 so I went for it and am playing the SP now but I am frustrated with these set up situations like it was mentioned about getting into a one on one physical fight with a bad guy and the game not only takes over, but deliberately screws up your controls. So now I'm fighting (for about twenty times +)this guy on a train platform and even though I am winning, he always comes back and throws me into an oncoming train - GRRAH, It was very hard not to throw the controller at the TV. I might just go ahead and skip over to the online play because of this insanity. (I'm on a PS3)

Snosrap
11-28-2011, 05:14 PM
I loved BF2, and I was talking to my nephew about what he was playing and he (used to be big MW fan) told me he just loves BF3 and turned me on to black Friday deal at Best Buy for $30 so I went for it and am playing the SP now but I am frustrated with these set up situations like it was mentioned about getting into a one on one physical fight with a bad guy and the game not only takes over, but deliberately screws up your controls. So now I'm fighting (for about twenty times +)this guy on a train platform and even though I am winning, he always comes back and throws me into an oncoming train - GRRAH, It was very hard not to throw the controller at the TV. I might just go ahead and skip over to the online play because of this insanity. (I'm on a PS3)

Yeah just skip the single player - it's worthless. On the other hand I am finding MP to be more and more fun the more I play. There is just so much to do. Yesterday I face jumped off a cliff and pulled a parchachute at the last second, landed on a roof and started shooting. It was an exhilerating expericance. I normally get a little frustrated when I can't compete, but I'm having a blast even though I really suck. I can't fly helis either. But getting in one as a machine gunner is a total blast. Just so much to do and the maps are huge. I highly recommend "Rush" as the game type to play. As you take out objectives you either advance or retreat to a new location depending on what side you are on. Seems very realistic to me.

archijam
11-29-2011, 03:03 AM
I had the same with Homefront. How can you make a game with that premise ... yet the SM is more linear than the ladders in grandma's stockings and can be played through in 2 hours?

A real shame.

blugenwitz
11-29-2011, 05:12 AM
BF = Multiplayer. ;)

biliousfrog
11-29-2011, 07:23 AM
I had the same with Homefront. How can you make a game with that premise ... yet the SM is more linear than the ladders in grandma's stockings and can be played through in 2 hours?

A real shame.

Homefront was just terrible IMO, possibly one of the most disappointing games I've ever played purely from an anticipation POV. It seemed to offer so much but the single player was just awful. The multiplayer was quite nice but there were a severe lack of levels so I got tired of it very quickly.

Snosrap
12-25-2011, 07:38 PM
I downloaded the new map pack several week ago. WOW! These are easily some of the best maps ever. The amount of destruction on the buildings is fantastic as well as being just downright fun.

skywalker113
12-28-2011, 02:21 PM
I really like the multiplayer on bf3. Sound effects and graphics are amazing. Although im a little disapointed they left out single player maps. And I think they got rid of health bars. Bf is becoming more like call of duty imo.

Rayek
12-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Story? Its a video game for goodness sake! If I want a story Ill read a book or watch a movie. I play ping-pong with my son, theres no story there just fun. Video game designers need to think fun first and then if they want to make a story of it, fine put it in there. Where is the fun in the designer holding your hand through the whole game go here do this and then go over there and do that. Oh, BTW you better do it in this order because we are poor designers/coders and if you try to get through the level your way youll never finish.

A bit off-topic:

You should really give Nethack a try some time if you are looking for some of the best game moments you will ever experience. Still one of the best games of all time. Its gameplay depth is amazing, with emergent play occurring all the time. Nothing scripted, and no game will be the same, and you will NEED to be a creative thinker to survive (unlike that scripted sniper moment in Battlefield 3 you mentioned).

I've been playing nethack and assorted derivatives for more than 20 years, and I keep coming back to them.

Typical game session:
A month ago I accidentally killed a shopkeeper during a brawl with a dwarf. He had followed me into the magic shop in an underground village, and seemed intent to bashing me over the head with his hammer (perhaps had something to do with me killing a whole level of dwarves on one of the earlier levels).

One of my wand strikes went haywire, with the spell missing the dwarf, bouncing off the walls, and killing the shopkeeper! I run out of the shop, dwarf in pursuit swinging his hammer in rage, and an alarm sounds, and the town police comes out in full force, chasing me from all sides.

Trying to evade them in the town streets, I got cornered - but I remembered that scroll of teleportation. I cast it at the last moment, and got beamed straight into a room filled to the brim with... yep, you guessed it: monsters of all sorts. The bad sort. After a couple of hits I was about to die, so I frantically dug around my bag, and found an unidentified scroll. I read it, and: I started to float to the ceiling! All the creatures in the room were ground-based (lucky), so I start picking them off one by one with my wands. The treasure was mine, but I was unable to exit the room, I am still up in the air. What to do?

... and so on.

Published in 1987, still being developed by an enthusiastic dev community!

http://thegreatestgameyouwilleverplay.com/

Of course, do not expect awesome 3d graphics. The basic version only offers ASCII characters!. The better looking one (Falcon's Eye) isometric graphics.

Okay, back to topic.

Snosrap
12-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Sounds interesting. My game time consists of my workout time, 1 hour a day on the eliptical. So that game would be real hard to pull off. :D I do not game on PC, only XBox. :thumbsup:

Andy Meyer
12-29-2011, 05:23 AM
BF3 is multiplayer, so nothing is scripted.
no artificial intelligence, just human intelligence/stupidity :-)

i like the new maps, just hope they will offer Mashtuur City eventually...

safetyman
12-29-2011, 08:18 AM
And I think they got rid of health bars. Bf is becoming more like call of duty imo.

The health bars are there on the bottom right of the HUD (can't speak for the console versions). It even has a little heartbeat display :)

As for BF becoming COD: I haven't played MW3 yet, but I understand it's very similar to MW2, which means smaller maps, lots of cheaters, no vehicles, and server connection based on the player with the best ping (if that player disconnects, everyone has to reconnect - quite annoying). So, IMO, BF is not like MW at all.

Matt
12-29-2011, 10:32 AM
BTW guys, come join us.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655241153316142/

biliousfrog
12-30-2011, 01:59 AM
BTW guys, come join us.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655241153316142/

Done ;)

Snosrap
12-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Any XBox players out in LW land?