PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 3D 1998 Showreel!

lardbros
10-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Just found this video on my hard-drive, so thought I'd post up here for a bit of nostalgia... enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2H7JlvH7dI

(Still don't know where the music is from... might have to Shazam it)

xxiii
10-28-2011, 05:32 PM
I think I have a Newtek Amiga Videotoaster demo VHS (including Todd Rudgren music video) floating around somewhere. I should probably get it digitized before it (or my VCR) completely crumble into dust. (or has someone done this already?)

Dexter2999
10-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Majority of that holds up. That is the sign of a solid reel.

Thanks for sharing.

lardbros
10-28-2011, 05:49 PM
No probs... it was this video that truly made me realise was was possible using LightWave. I'd been using it on and off with 3dsmax too, but this made me concentrate more on the LW side of things.

Shame Newtek's demo reels aren't quite as eye-candy strewn as this was. Love the mans face peeling away... Not sure I'd have any idea how to do that now really. A great shot!

TeZzy
10-30-2011, 01:58 AM
Not saying that the stuff now isn't good, but all I can say is that the stuff from 98 was quite awesome. Which makes it look like LW hasn't advanced very much in over 10 years. Definitely not saying LW hasn't advanced but others who aren't Lightwavers may think otherwise.

gristle
10-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Not saying that the stuff now isn't good, but all I can say is that the stuff from 98 was quite awesome. Which makes it look like LW hasn't advanced very much in over 10 years. Definitely not saying LW hasn't advanced but others who aren't Lightwavers may think otherwise.

Maybe it has not, but you have to factor in the skills of those who produced the work...they have alot to do with the look of the images, not the software, after all.

Celshader
10-30-2011, 02:00 PM
I've always loved the techno-track on that reel. Anyone know where it's from? I've heard it on commercials since then, but I've never ID'ed the music.

TeZzy
10-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Maybe it has not, but you have to factor in the skills of those who produced the work...they have alot to do with the look of the images, not the software, after all.

that's a given, but that's why I say 'makes it look like'

lardbros
10-31-2011, 01:06 PM
I've always loved the techno-track on that reel. Anyone know where it's from? I've heard it on commercials since then, but I've never ID'ed the music.

Yeah, I like the tune too... had a look on Shazam, but it came up with a track called 'boom'... and I'm not 100% sure it was right, it sounded nothing like it.

I remember asking YEARS, AND YEARS back about the music, when the showreel was first done, but no-one from Newtek even knew :D