PDA

View Full Version : Point Selection Problem

leroy3rd
10-27-2011, 06:13 PM
I've been having an issue where not all points will be selected when I'm working. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, and even played with the GL settings to see if there was something going on there. No dice. I made a video to illustrate the problem using a simple cube. You'll notice that it only effects one point in this demonstration, and only in shaded modes. Any help/advice/suggestions are appreciated.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34631339/LW%20Issue.mp4

Thanks,
LeRoy3rd

RudySchneider
10-27-2011, 06:46 PM
As far as I know, that's the way it's supposed to work! Any shaded mode will only allow you to select points, edges, or polys that are immediately visible. As you observed, if you want to be sure to select points (or edges, or polys) in the background, you must be in an unshaded (wireframe) mode.

Snosrap
10-27-2011, 06:56 PM
You know I have never tried to select through in solid shaded views, seems like a bug of sorts to me. I tried it on 9.6 and get the same results. I don't think it should select through as thats the whole point of solid views to a certain degree. I think modo has a select through option but LW never has AFAIK. Please fill out a bug report.

steve0077
10-27-2011, 07:00 PM
Mine does the same thing in shade mode on same corner. Works fine in wire frame.

leroy3rd
10-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Please, please watch the video before responding... It works on all of the points on a cube except ONE. It will work, for example, to select the two points on a corner by lasso selecting the one point. It works perfectly for all but ONE point. Please watch my short video to understand my problem.

Thanks,
LeRoy3rd

@Steve0077: Thanks for the confirmation.

Snosrap
10-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Please, please watch the video before responding... It works on all of the points on a cube except ONE. It will work, for example, to select the two points on a corner by lasso selecting the one point. It works perfectly for all but ONE point. Please watch my short video to understand my problem.

Thanks,
LeRoy3rd

@Steve0077: Thanks for the confirmation.

I did - I get the exact same result as you. Try it on a disc, and lasso select the whole thing, the points on the right get selected - the left don't. It's a bug, but something that got missed because us old timer beta testers never tried to select through in solid views. Please fog it. :D

RudySchneider
10-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Ah...

Had another look at your video, and tried it on my version of 10.1. Mine does the same thing! Guess I never really noticed that before, ''cuz I'm always in wireframe mode in all but the perspective window.

Yes, definitely weird!

RudySchneider
10-28-2011, 10:44 AM
I think the problem may have to do with how precisely Modeler "sees." That is, as already mentioned, if you have a shaded sphere, the points at the "rear" of the object window will not be selected.

For instance, if I create a 1-meter square box, and zoom-in to fit ("a" hotkey), I can only select 6 points by lassoing. If I zoom out, it reverts to the 7-point selection we've now acknowledged. But if I change the X or Z Point Info by just a very slight amount --- say from -500mm to -500.001mm --- Modeler can now "see" the point and I can now lasso all 8 points. So, it seems to be associated with some sort of precision for the window. Just why it's associated with that one (or two) point(s) seems odd, but there ya go.

chco2
10-28-2011, 01:13 PM
This is a bug and should be reported. Tried it and it happens to me also.
Shaded views should only select the point visible, not the point underneath.
Seems to be already introduced in 9.6 as I've just tried that also. Except there it works as it should on the top two points, but for the bottom points it also selects the points in the back.