PDA

View Full Version : Artifacts in a Blur

Tom Wood
10-14-2003, 03:48 PM
This may belong in the Aura forum, but they look to be pretty quiet down there.

I created some characters in LW and rendered out as RTV. Then I took them into Aura and applied a Center Blur. Then I took a JumpBack into Aura and applied a high level of Gaussian Blur. In full frame, they all look well. But when reduced in the TED Control Tree as seen in the attached image, there are lines/bars showing up in the blur part of the animated character. Any thoughts on how to smooth that out?

Thanks,

TW

Jim_C
10-14-2003, 04:19 PM
>>when reduced in the TED Control Tree

I believe that may be your problem. Using the control tree to size leaves a bad taste alot of times. Not always, but alot for me.
Ive been resizing in Mirage (or Aura)

jim

Tom Wood
10-14-2003, 06:49 PM
Thanks Jim,

That solved the artifacts in the blur, but introduced a new flaw. Going back to the original image, there are ripples around the eyes that only show up in the project window, not on the external monitor or in TED when played at full size. Sort of like the pebble in water effect, but wasn't part of the original render from LW. But if I reduce and reposition in Aura, these ripples become part of the video. I imported as D1 RTV, odd fields first. Any thoughts as to where this is coming from? It seems to be an Aura thang.

TW

Danner
10-14-2003, 09:38 PM
Aura will reduce your DISPLAY image so it looks proporcionate in a VGA monitor, but it will give you that look, in Aura if you turn on 1:1 display, the artifacts will dissapear (altho they are not part of the image, just the way Aura displays the image on your VGA monitor) but your circles will look like ovals. (altho they are fine in video) just a side effect of having non square pixels for 720x486 video.

Tom Wood
10-15-2003, 06:59 AM
I don't mind if the artifacts are just in the image that Aura -displays- the problem is that it is incorporating those artifacts into the saved video image.

TW

Danner
10-15-2003, 09:50 PM
That should not be happening.. it should save out okay, you even said that it looked fine in the TV output, maybe there is some other mismatch in the video size when you save it out.
One weird thing I noticed in TEd (unpatched VT3) is that if you bring in an avi that is 720x480, and enable overlay, two horizontal ripples appear, change the size in control tree to 720x486 and the ripples dissapear... dunno if that was fixed in the patch, I have not patched yet.