PDA

View Full Version : OT: So....film is dead? Or at least very near.

Dexter2999
10-27-2011, 04:12 AM
The word is out that none of the three top makers of film cameras are continuing production. Panavision, Arri, and Aaton are all concentrating solely on digital cameras.

Also of note that the largest camera rental facility in the US has auctioned off all of its film related inventory, cameras, editors, and projectors.

The cause of these changes appears to be producers pushing for digital workflows to save money. (Because, God forbid, you have to pay the talent less than $10 Million dollars.) According to one article film related productions now only account for 30% of all current productions.

Also of note is that Kodak is in peril as a company as point and shoot cameras are at an all time low as nearly everyone now has a digital camera even if only built into their phone. Kodak is also losing huge chunks of revenue as more and more movie theaters are moving to digital projection systems. This means a fewer prints and inter-positives and inter-negative stock are being sold as well.

My personal opinion is that the industry may have just reached "the tipping point."

Opinions?

gerry_g
10-27-2011, 04:00 PM
I used to stuff my Olympus OM with rolls of Kodachrome 400, and promptly run out after the thirty sixth frame, on my iPhone I'm still going strong four hundred shots in, resolution is better, cost of camera is cheaper (and it works as a phone too, sends texts, surfs the net, downloads emails, can even speak to it), there's no processing costs no ruined film and instant gratification is assured (look at them on the camera or download to my laptop or workstation and straight into photoshop). Broadcast television has been just about exclusively digital for ten to fifteen years the only thing that ever held movies back was resolution, bit depth and contrast ratios I would imagine, film is possibly still better but cost is cost and convenience is everything.

Titus
10-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Also of note is that Kodak is in peril as a company as point and shoot cameras are at an all time low as nearly everyone now has a digital camera even if only built into their phone. Kodak is also losing huge chunks of revenue as more and more movie theaters are moving to digital projection systems. This means a fewer prints and inter-positives and inter-negative stock are being sold as well.

Kodak isn't going to disappear. They have a huge ammount of patents regarding digital imaging, so soon they will no sell products anymore, they sell IP.

JCG
10-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Patents have very short life spans, and many of Kodak's patents are not exactly fresh out the oven.

(Because, God forbid, you have to pay the talent less than $10 Million dollars.)
I haven't done too much of this, but from what I've seen, if you've ever tried shooting with amateur actors, even some that have gone to acting school, you end up admitting that (some) stars are worth every penny of those $10 Million.

I can't believe how many people complain about actors' salaries. For once there is an industry where (some of) the ones doing the actual work do take a nice chunk of the product's profits. We always complain that all the profits are pocketed by "managers" who don't manage anything but to cause extra trouble, were always late when they even showed up, and spent more time in MS-Solitaire than in MS-Project. There you have a small group of artists who have achieved taking their big piece of pie and we also complain about that.

Edit: Sorry, that sounds harsher in writing than it did in my head. It just seemed a bit... sad? to prefer to spend less on actual working people in order to spend a little more in a certain equipment choice. It happens all too often around here.

Titus
10-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Patents have very short life spans, and many of Kodak's patents are not exactly fresh out the oven.

So Kodak don't do research anymore? no more new patents?

A few day ago went to the hospital for some Rx, and guess what, the RX machine was all digital... and Kodak.

JCG
10-27-2011, 10:31 PM
So Kodak don't do research anymore? no more new patents?

I honestly don't know, sir. I hope so. To survive from IP, they can't only create awesome stuff. They also have to create it faster than anyone else, including companies that eat and breathe digital. If they can jump into this world, so different from the one they traditionally excelled at and beat everyone in the race to many new inventions, they would be truly admirable.

Titus
10-27-2011, 11:18 PM
They don't share my optimism:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-17/kodak-worth-five-times-more-in-breakup-with-3-billion-patents-real-m-a.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2011/08/17/kodak-patents-for-sale/

But hey, that's what they do; dismantle companies and make some profit from their assets.

Dexter2999
01-12-2012, 09:31 PM
And here we go...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/04/kodak-bankruptcy-chapter-11_n_1184101.html

erikals
01-13-2012, 02:34 AM
Wow... :[

thanks for all the pictures...