PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know how to create animatible clouds?

jesblood
10-26-2011, 10:41 AM
I need to animate some clouds forming and becoming dark like a thunderstrom. Does anyone have any ideas or know where I can find a good tutorial to learn. If you could help or point me in the right direction I'd be eternally greatful! Thanks.

Running LW10.

nickdigital
10-26-2011, 10:49 AM
I've done something like that with a hypervoxel where I played it in reverse.

prometheus
10-27-2011, 01:44 AM
There´s probably four volumetric handler that can acheive this, different techniques for them thou, but Your in for some serious time consuming work to get believable results I would say.

1. Hypervoxels
2. dynamite plugin voxels
3.ogo taiki volumetric atmosphere plugin
4. turbulence fluids.

A. for no.1 hypervoxels I would probably use geometry expanding with either particles & hypervoxels on that geometry, or use the geometry vertices and apply hypervoxels directly on that, expanding geometry clusters by morphs, and perhaps normal displacements.

B. you could also just spray and sculpt point clusters and morph those or use bones to stretch and scale etc, apply hypervoxels on that.

C. depending on look you want, you could also use sparsly a couple of nulls not to far from eachother and scale those and move slightly, add big hypervoxel size to that and set a good hypertexture and texture effect, Ivé noticed that setting it to velocity can give nice curning cloud effect.

D. use particles and child emitter as particle plume trail, set a wide vibration and add some voxels to it.

That´s some ideas in general, Dynamite plugin offers metaball blending and adaptive voxel size to polygons/polyons and also a good rotational control.

Turbulence fluids and ogo taiki is another chapter.
Unfortunatly I haven´t seen any tutorial regarding creating animatable clouds.

Michael
http://vimeo.com/user680656/videos/page:1/sort:newest

prometheus
10-27-2011, 01:49 AM
I missed the grid density hv setup technique.

You could use a dense subpatch grid and use hv sprites on them (or volume mode.

use the dissolve channel or density channels to apply a texture that cuts out the cloud density for shaping it. if you have an animated planar cloud sequence in png, you could probably get something cool.

You could also have particles shaped and driven by a texture in particle birth rate channel.

Michael

souzou
10-27-2011, 04:27 AM
If you're talking plugins there's also Ozone from e-on.

prometheus
10-27-2011, 04:30 AM
If you're talking plugins there's also Ozone from e-on.

Not that tweaky friendly and harder to acheive a thunderstorm building up.

using ogo taiki volumetric atmospheric and particles a emitters wich the ogo taiki volumetric textures are applied on would be nicer..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW0ImR2zZ9M

Or use turbulence fluids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlnAVpcEXQ4&feature=feedlik

Michael

mav3rick
10-27-2011, 05:32 AM
very nice turbulence clouds... what was render time?

prometheus
10-27-2011, 05:34 AM
very nice turbulence clouds... what was render time?

Have no clue to what clip youré talking about??

prometheus
10-27-2011, 06:11 AM
I guess you mean the turbulence fluid clouds by oldzitterhand, ask him, not me.

Michael

prometheus
10-27-2011, 06:57 AM
here´s a sample of velocity effect on a single null (hypervoxels)...simulating slightly curning up.

Lousy quality setting thou, lowest voxel quality and draft preview in viper, just to be quick:)

Michael

ben martin
10-27-2011, 09:18 AM
I need to animate some clouds forming and becoming dark like a thunderstrom. Does anyone have any ideas or know where I can find a good tutorial to learn. If you could help or point me in the right direction I'd be eternally greatful! Thanks.

Running LW10.

You'll be wasting lots of time and energy with any LW based process.
Try E-on Ozone PLE (Personal Learning Edition) for free.
Do your tests and be amazed.

NOTE: Any volumetric clouds plug-in will be processor intensive, so don't expect fast renders!
There are tweaks you can do to accelerate the process but normally that will be reflected in quality looseness!
You can also try this: http://iaian7.com/lightwave/FakingVolumetricClouds

Faking volumetric clouds tutorial.

Good luck

prometheus
10-27-2011, 10:30 AM
You'll be wasting lots of time and energy with any LW based process.
Try E-on Ozone PLE (Personal Learning Edition) for free.
Do your tests and be amazed.

NOTE: Any volumetric clouds plug-in will be processor intensive, so don't expect fast renders!
There are tweaks you can do to accelerate the process but normally that will be reflected in quality looseness!
You can also try this: http://iaian7.com/lightwave/FakingVolumetricClouds

Faking volumetric clouds tutorial.

Good luck

Im not sure about that, I think I disagree, ozone is a time waster of anything, In fact setting up hypervoxels would probably render faster, depends on, the spectral 2 cloud layers are too slow, spectral 1 is decent.
but as far as controlling clouds to look like thunderstorm building up, I don´t think that ozone would be the best option...You have to little control over the shape and how it moves in ozone.

But It ofcoarse also depends on the type of thunderstorm youre after.

Edit..and oldzitterhands turbulence tests looks very nice and in fact has a better "true density based on fluid dynamics" to result in cloud density more realistic than ozone´s fractals..
Apart from that a build up of thunderstorm would benifit from such dynamics compared to trying to animate ozone fractals.
I wish a turbulence fluid release for vue thou.

Michael

ben martin
10-27-2011, 04:05 PM
About 6-15 minutes per frame, but on a good system. Can also vary immensely depending of the volume density.
EDIT: Oh, and the technique wouldn't work for the OP's task, as animating would be... tricky.

Resolution?
CPU spec?

jesblood
10-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Wow. Caused quite a discussion. The knowledge being posted in this thread humbles me. I'll check out the various ideas and see what works best. Thanks guys! All of you! Lifesavers everyone! Again big thanks!

archijam
10-28-2011, 01:29 AM
... or use the real thing ;) ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKPw7_RLQb8

Dexter2999
10-28-2011, 01:37 AM
I heard there was this guy one time that could animate clouds. But then like, he drank a coke while eating Pop-rocks and his head exploded.

True story.