PDA

View Full Version : AvidDV will use VT3 to capture firewire?

eon5
10-14-2003, 03:30 PM
A friend ask me this question... and i havent the answer :(

He ask>
If i have AVID DV program, can it capture video using VT3?

???

Tkx in advance

ScorpioProd
10-14-2003, 04:38 PM
AVID DV is a DV only program, so the answer is no.

djlithium
10-15-2003, 02:35 AM
You would just use the firewire card in the system already.

Has nothing to do with the VT3 itself.

Why you would want to mix an avid and a toaster I have no idea. Tell him he is crazy. :)

eon5
10-15-2003, 06:33 AM
He said:

<To capture in DV format (and in real time using VT3), edit the source material with AVID and print to tape using SDI out (VT board addon) will be soooo coool !>

pnelson
10-15-2003, 09:18 AM
I'm sure you could capture with VT3 then use the footage in AVID Xpress, but I'm not sure why you would want to do that.

I have seen many studios buy AVID Xpress to simply "say" they edit on an AVID... Then do most of their work on a Toaster....

Later,

eon5
10-15-2003, 10:44 AM
1- AVID edition features.
2- Is very easy to find freelance operators.

pnelson
10-15-2003, 02:05 PM
I agree that if you like AVID there are benefits..

I think you misunderstood my comment...

I don't know why anyone would capture on VT and edit on AVID Xpress..

Why not just capture on AVID Xpress. ;->

Later,

eon5
10-15-2003, 02:31 PM
price...

and dont forget the idea: using VT3 SDI-OUT addon board (with digital audio too) ! :D

pnelson
10-15-2003, 02:34 PM
DOH!!

Ok..:D

SDI... GOOD..

ScorpioProd
10-15-2003, 09:02 PM
But on the input side, AFAIK, Avid DV Express, or whatever the exact name is now, ONLY works with DV. It would not work with RTVs you capture or something like that in VT[3].

And for DV, I wouldn't really recommend VT[3] as the best capture method.

As for SDI out playing in VT[3], that is a valid thing to do.

eon5
10-16-2003, 08:55 AM
well... everything is more clear now.

The idea is:
- To capture dv and edit it in AVID DV
- To use the VT3 SDI playout

He need to do "play" in the AVID-DV program with the DV clips and "see" the video out in the SDI VTboard (and print to tape, of course)

REGARDS!:)

pnelson
10-16-2003, 08:59 AM
I must add that I can edit much FASTER and more creativly in the VT3!

I've used both packages EXTENSIVELY, in fact I used to train people to edit on the AVID Film Composer..

VT3 allows you to edit like you think.. (Pretty scary statement to anyone who knows me)..

Good luck,

bradl
10-16-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by eon5
and dont forget the idea: using VT3 SDI-OUT addon board (with digital audio too) ! :D

I've got that board and so far I have no AES out. I am getting no response from Newtek as to whether it is supposed to be enabled or not. I do have AES in, and that is only active in a Capture Panel, i.e. - it does not show up as an audio source you can use in the Audio Panel.

Can anyone confirm they have achieved AES out?

eon5
10-31-2005, 05:35 PM
What now ?

Im say, what now with the VT4.5 DV features ?

its possible to interchange clips in between ? :question:

Pete Draves
10-31-2005, 06:35 PM
with just about every editor, using boris on the timeline, I can ge ripple disolves. I have been asked why I nolonger have these.
Is it coming.
there are quite a lot of fx that the toaster cannot do that all others can do.

When and Why
I have 2 toasters. May have to change to give clients what they want????
Pete

ScorpioProd
10-31-2005, 09:20 PM
VT[2] on up has always been able to read standard Type-2 DV clips. Assuming Avid renders out to a standard DV codec, this should have been possible for a long time now, nothing specific to the VT[4] 4.5 upgrade.

Remember, the VT[4] 4.5 upgrade didn't really do anything for the POST side, it was all a LIVE functions update to catch the VT[4] up to the TriCaster.

As for BorisFX, people e-mailed the company previously, they don't have any interest in supporting the VT.