PDA

View Full Version : transferring blender object with key shapes to LW with morph targets?

AbstractTech3D
10-24-2011, 08:01 AM
Hello

I'm not hugely familiar with Blender… Am much more so with LW...

Have been trying to transfer a blender object into LW and take with it the 'key shape' deformations (which are equivalent to LW morph targets).

Exporting as LWO from Blender gets the object across, but not also the key shapes / morph targets, it would seem.

(The reason I'm doing this is because Blender much more easily than Modeler creates nice clean text objects, and easily bevels them. I then wish to create multiple morph deformations of the text objects and render them in a scene I already have setup in Layout. Then I wish to repeat the process using numerous other pieces of text, but reuse the same morph deformations. For lack of a history stack in LW in which the text element could easily be retyped or font replaced - LW alone is an inefficient solution to achieving this).

Thanks for your thoughts!

daforum
10-24-2011, 02:49 PM
I thought Blender can export .mdd files that can be used in LightWave?

SBowie
10-24-2011, 02:51 PM
Just to mention it, you might do well to look for relevant info in this thread: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=119527

colkai
10-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Is there any way of exporting the blender object in it's "shaped" form so you can then use this as a morph target to load?

AbstractTech3D
10-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Is there any way of exporting the blender object in it's "shaped" form so you can then use this as a morph target to load?

good question...

lightmann
10-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Yes, you can use mdd file(exporting an animation using every morph target) then scrub the timeline and use save endomorph command in layout for a very efficient way to transfer to shapekeys, blendshapes or whatever his name to endomorphs.
The problem is mdd export doesn't function as expected in bl3nd3r(left hand rules axis and the usual s***) in the latest version, so you can export every morph target as obj load in a background layer and using background to endomorph ,a tedious process , but you could have the strengths of endomorphs like modify the mesh and all morphs updated.

AbstractTech3D
10-31-2011, 06:56 AM
Copying the morphs to the background layer, and then using background to endomorph - would it not break vertex mapping consistency i.e. potentially map the wrong vertex points from the base to the target?

lightmann
10-31-2011, 01:25 PM
Copying the morphs to the background layer, and then using background to endomorph - would it not break vertex mapping consistency i.e. potentially map the wrong vertex points from the base to the target?

no, if you use "keep vertex order" option en Bl and "zbrush" mode in modeler.The point index is preserved and you can go back and forth.