PDA

View Full Version : The thing- Behind the scenes peak

prometheus
10-22-2011, 05:03 AM
Here we go again, havent seen this footage before..stay patient..a commercial in the beginning for a couple of seconds.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/webbtv/noje/film/bio/article13812835.ab

Looks interesting, they actually seem to have put some effort in the vfx, I hope the mix of cg and old school in front of camera make up works out.

The rest is up to the actors,director,editor,sound editing and the score.

Michael

erikals
10-22-2011, 12:00 PM
nah,.. :]

ain't gonna see a behind-the-scenes before i watch the movie,... ;]
(thanks for the link though :]
 

safetyman
10-23-2011, 07:49 AM
The original is one of my all-time favs. Can't wait to see this one.

wrench
10-23-2011, 10:43 AM
For all those that liked the original movie, how about this superb short story by Peter Watts seen from the other perspective? http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

(you'll need to have a good memory of the film, or rewatch it so you are absolutely clear about the sequence of events and characters to get the best from the short story)

B

jasonwestmas
10-23-2011, 11:34 AM
This original movie? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5xcVxkTZzM

RudySchneider
10-23-2011, 12:37 PM
This original movie? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5xcVxkTZzM

YES! That's the "original" original, with James Arness (re: the TV show, "Gunsmoke") playing the thing, and the one that scared the crap outta me as a kid when I first saw it in the 60's!

wrench
10-23-2011, 03:51 PM
:D I should have said "the original John Carpenter movie". I like the 50s one, but it never felt as real - and it had a giant carrot as the monster! (Spoiler? Too soon?) Besides, John Carpenter's was pedantically the original "The Thing" since the original original from the 50s was called "The Thing from another world"... ;)

B

safetyman
10-24-2011, 05:57 AM
Yeah, I saw that 50's version. I couldn't get past the "killer potted plant" running around. :)

kadri
10-24-2011, 07:46 AM
YES! That's the "original" original, with James Arness (re: the TV show, "Gunsmoke") playing the thing, and the one that scared the crap outta me as a kid when I first saw it in the 60's!

This was the reason i slept for the next 3-4 years under the blanket in the bed when i was 9 years old ! It is one of the very few movies i could not see until the end. I saw it only after nearly 20 years ones more until the end. Yeah it wasn't so good as i expected but the Carpenter version looked more as an VFX film to me and did not much impressed me.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19820101/REVIEWS/201010349/1023
(Not that i always like his reviews :) )

I always thought "why do they love Carpenter so much?"... He is not so bad , say as some other "Transformers" directors . He have good moments in his films ...But especially if you do not like horror movies he have nothing much to say as a director.

jasonwestmas
10-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Pretty good review by Ebert. . . for once (1982 version). Alien was a better movie as far as liking the characters and their reactions to threats. . . but to me that is like comparing apples with bananas. I haven't seen any other thing movie that matched the well done special FX and creep factor of the '82 version.

DBMiller
10-24-2011, 08:20 AM
John Carpenter's version is also more like the original short story "Who Goes There?".

jasonwestmas
10-24-2011, 08:22 AM
John Carpenter's version is also more like the original short story "Who Goes There?".

Yeah that's interesting the story comes from an author during the 1930s. I definitely prefer short stories when it comes to sci-fi characters. I get the sense I can identify with the characters and put myself in their shoes rather than than get lost in the details of an epic novel.

wrench
10-24-2011, 10:27 AM
You should definitely read the short story I posted a link to then! :D

B

jasonwestmas
10-24-2011, 10:41 AM
You should definitely read the short story I posted a link to then! :D

B

Ah yes, thanks!

metahumanity
10-24-2011, 12:04 PM
For those who like Campbell´s/Carpenter´s THING I´d also recommend Lovecraft´s "At The Mountains Of Madness", which served as inspiration to "Who Goes There".

erikals
10-24-2011, 04:35 PM
After three months of deliberation, Universal Pictures, the studio that gave del Toro money for pre-production creature designs, At the Mountains of Madness has remained unwilling to give the director a greenlight, citing concerns over the film’s budget and likely R rating. On Monday, del Toro withdrew from the negotiations, and that night at ten-thirty he sent me a short, mournful e-mail: "Madness has gone dark. The ‘R’ did us in."

agh! :]

jasonwestmas
10-24-2011, 05:57 PM
So G films make more money I guess.

safetyman
10-25-2011, 05:31 AM
Hollywood is all about the $$, so if they can cut out a violent scene to get to a PG-13 rating, they do it. Really puts a damper on creativity IMO.

jasonwestmas
10-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Hollywood is all about the $$, so if they can cut out a violent scene to get to a PG-13 rating, they do it. Really puts a damper on creativity IMO.

yeahh, uhh, dramas and horror flicks aren't necessarily for 13 year olds. Kinda defeats the purpose.

daforum
10-25-2011, 09:27 AM
The horror.....the horror.... (as Brando once said)

dsol
10-25-2011, 10:34 AM
yeahh, uhh, dramas and horror flicks aren't necessarily for 13 year olds. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs. In the 60's and 70's, an X-rating was actually considered a ratings and box-office draw - you knew you weren't going to be suckered into seeing a tame, boring movie for kids!

Unfortunately these days, kids under the age of 18 have a lot more disposable income and they're considered too big a demographic to miss. Blame it on inflated movie budgets, I guess.

erikals
10-25-2011, 02:39 PM
...when did The Terminator and Terminator II become R rated...?

...seems like PG13 to me...

Red_Oddity
10-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Can' wait personally, the Thing is still one of my favourite horror/thrillers.

Also, it might be in good hands, seeing Matthijs is a pretty good director (here's one of his latest commercials)

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/mikros-image-the-making-of-the-canal-bear/

nickdigital
10-26-2011, 11:15 AM
For all those that liked the original movie, how about this superb short story by Peter Watts seen from the other perspective? http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

(you'll need to have a good memory of the film, or rewatch it so you are absolutely clear about the sequence of events and characters to get the best from the short story)

B

I enjoyed this short story a lot. Thx for posting.

wrench
10-26-2011, 11:21 AM
His long fiction is superb too (and available as a free download). Bit dark, but really well-written.

B

DBMiller
10-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Good story! I've read another of his, called "The Island", in a collection called "The New Space Opera". Also good. Thanks for the link!

biliousfrog
10-26-2011, 01:23 PM

This killed Sucker Punch, the scenes they cut out for the theatrical version were hardly things of nightmares but they altered the flow of the film dramatically. The BluRay version is a far, FAR better film.

I like the look of The Thing prequal. It looks like a decent thriller/horror rather than the usual slasher flicks which are always extremely predictable. I liked the 80's film but haven't seen it in years, hopefully it will be shown on TV soon, they usually are when a remake/sequal/prequal appears in the cinema.

BTW, anyone notice the guy's Nostromo T-shirt?...I likey!

jasonwestmas
10-26-2011, 01:31 PM
This killed Sucker Punch, the scenes they cut out for the theatrical version were hardly things of nightmares but they altered the flow of the film dramatically. The BluRay version is a far, FAR better film.

I like the look of The Thing prequal. It looks like a decent thriller/horror rather than the usual slasher flicks which are always extremely predictable. I liked the 80's film but haven't seen it in years, hopefully it will be shown on TV soon, they usually are when a remake/sequal/prequal appears in the cinema.

BTW, anyone notice the guy's Nostromo T-shirt?...I likey!

The Thing 80's was on dish several times last winter. But yer in the UK so that's probably a different story.

danielkaiser
10-27-2011, 12:40 AM

Described as a giant carrot!!!

erikals
10-27-2011, 01:01 AM
carrots... never liked them... :\

(ok, carrot cake is good)

jasonwestmas
10-27-2011, 01:06 AM
carrots... never liked them... :\

(ok, carrot cake is good)

Carrots are strange. . .I guess I half-like them. =-/

biliousfrog
10-27-2011, 01:15 AM
Carrot's have an interesting history, they originate from Afghanistan and are naturally purple in colour. It is believed that the popular orange type was cultivated from a mutant variety in the Netherlands in 17th Century to honour King William (William of Orange).

...Perhaps 'interesting' was stretching it a bit

jasonwestmas
10-27-2011, 01:24 AM
heh, I. . .I. . .I did not know that. Leave it to my anscestors to mutate vegetables.

DBMiller
10-27-2011, 05:51 AM
heh, I. . .I. . .I did not know that. Leave it to my anscestors to mutate vegetables.

So, the prospect of a giant, intelligent, carrot in not out of the question?