PDA

View Full Version : LW 8: Am I the Only One...

G3D
10-14-2003, 12:28 PM
...who is looking forward to LW 8 just for the new interface? From what I've seen so far even the current one being show at all the shows--the one that looks like the 5.6/Inspire interface--is much easier one the eyes than the brushed metal one in 6.x through 7.x

Does anyone know if the rounded buttons shown in these forums months ago will make it into the final?

WizCraker
10-14-2003, 12:36 PM
Nobody knows except Newtek.

Matt
10-14-2003, 01:03 PM
As I understand it the SIGGRAPH interface (with maybe some small tweaks) will be the interface for v8, beyond that who knows.

hrgiger
10-14-2003, 10:56 PM
As I understood it, the interface that was shown at Siggraph wasn't implying any resemblence to the final version that we will know as 8.0. There was a disclaimer saying the interace could change dramatically. I like what I've seen so far.

Matt
10-15-2003, 02:23 AM
Nope! It will be very similar to SIGGRAPH! Unless the SIGGRAPH interface was a red herring, which I doubt very much.

toby
10-16-2003, 03:05 AM
noooooooo!
I don't want cardboard box buttons!
say it isn't so!

Matt
10-16-2003, 03:53 AM
I think we need official word from NewTek here. Hey Proton! are the screenshots you've been showing indicative of the final interface for v8?

Valter
10-17-2003, 09:38 AM
hey matt send your interface to newtek man.

Your interface is very better than lw8 interface showed by nt.

cheers

microchip
10-17-2003, 09:55 PM
Yeah Matt, I looked at your LightWave vX Interface site and all I have to say is WOW! Maybe you should send that off to NewTek and see what they think. Having that level of user interface customization would be great; Especially if we could script it like we can other many aspects of the package which as a programmer I find extremely powerful since it means I can get just about anything done that I can dream up either via LScript or my own plugin. This is another reason why I feel so free in Lightwave. This kind of power made available to the GUI aspect of Lightwave would be pretty incredible and would almost make the possibilities endless as far as workflow is concerned.

I realize that NewTek has many other important issues to deal with but if the UI of lightwave could be more flexible it would mean that as users we could actually move things around to better our workflow. If interface settings could be saved for different types of work this could also up the level of productivity another notch.

I believe things like this are good things to have. A good example is Mirage(previously Aura) which allows me to have multiple configurations for the different types of work I do in it such as photo manipulation, basic compositing, and video editing. When I start up I just select the configuration I want and I am immediately where I need to be to start working on whats in front of me. It's interface isn't as customizable as shown on the Lightwave vX Interface site but still is decently configurable which has definitely made improvements to my workflow when using that package.

I can appreciate how massive a change something like what would be and undoubtedly change the way we're used to not only working with the package but on how it is extended as well from third parties. No doubt a large task but still doable I think over time. What would be cool is since many Lightwave functions are implemented as plugins due to the extent of it's capabilities I think it would be fantastic if a programming approach of separating your user interface away from the core logic of the package in most scenarios was done so that you could leverage more existing capabilities already developed but just create another interface to the same implementation, or perhaps extend the implementation(why not?) on top of leveraging the existing code(via dynamic calls perhaps?). An approach like this has made almost anything possible from what I have experienced in packages that take such an approach.

But until we have an uber interface I am happy with Lightwave at the moment since it never constrains me in my creativity which was the original reason I purchased it(that and the fantastic price!). I am really looking forward to version 8.0 :)

Just my five cents :0)

Matt
10-19-2003, 06:50 AM
Thanks guys! :)

NT have already seen it all months ago, there were some discussions about stuff but it's all quiet on the western front at the moment! So I'm not quite sure what, if anything is happening!

Cheers
Matt

satya
10-19-2003, 11:20 AM
Matt

A couple of requests -

- Hope all the tool bars and menus are floating
- In a dual monitor setup, I should have 5 view ports in the Modeler - 4 standard view ports and the 5th a floating view port that I can drag onto my second monitor and max out the diplay to cover the entire screen
- Menus and Text should be in clear and understandable English. How is "Construct" different from "Create"? What does "Map" do that "Detail" cannot? Why not call "Display" "Setup"? Newtek's strong point was using words and not icons - I don't want to start maintaining a "Modeler Dicitionary"!

Take care of Modeler - maybe objects and tools should go into the same bucket i.e. whenever I select an object I can immediately access the basic Modify->Tools, Multiply->Tools and Detail->Tooks?

Was happier with the earlier LW interface!

Just some thoughts
Satya

Matt
10-19-2003, 11:39 AM
satya : are those requests meant for the vX interface or current LightWave interface development?

I agree with what you're saying about the menu order and naming in LightWave, it would benefit from a shake up, a lot of tools do very similar jobs at the moment, streamlining them would clean up the interface ten-fold.

The menus/gadgets in the vX interface were taken pretty much from what exists in LightWave now, they could do with being re-organised and renamed too, I just haven't had the time lately!

BTW: I'm not involved with any interface design at NewTek, just in case those requests were meant for the current version!

Cheers
Matt

satya
10-21-2003, 06:31 PM
Touche!

Sorry, Matt - your GUI was so good that I believed (in that instance) that that was how version 8.X should be! And started suggesting ...???

Hope this entire thread lands up in the "Feature Requests".

Saves me time from repeating that stuff ...

Hope Newtek developers are looking at this thread as we speak!

2 many hopes!

Satya