PDA

View Full Version : Clarification of Airplay Mirroring

epamedia
10-21-2011, 03:20 AM
Hi,
I'm trying the Rev 3d on my 300 and I must say it is fantastic.

Yesterday I tried to get my ipad2 ios5 with the system via airplay.

As for the video works perfectly, but does not work with regard to the mirroring feature airplay.

Or the ability to see everything I see on my iPad.
as in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxOD30DbVZw

I detect the 300, I select as I Datto for video, but I do not see anything on the TriCaster.

Is this normal? This mirror does not yet implemented?

thanks

joseburgos
10-21-2011, 08:25 AM
Just to be clear, you select it and then you enable mirror right? I have not tested it but just making sure you are enabling the Airplay feature the same way as in the YouTube video? Hoping this works as it is a great feature indeed :)

Take care,

SBowie
10-21-2011, 08:33 AM
As for the video works perfectly, but does not work with regard to the mirroring feature airplay.This is correct. At this time, the feature is not supported by TriCaster. (It's definitely something we're keenly interested in, but even for Apple systems the new 'mirroring' feature demands the newest generation AppleTV hardware and a recent software upgrade.)

joseburgos
10-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Yeah Airplay is a great feature and glad NewTek is working on getting mirror to work :)

Also you guys just saved me some time as this was on my list of things to test today and next week.

Take care,

epamedia
10-21-2011, 09:34 AM
This is fabulous news.

Already imagine all the conferences with the IPAD and powerpoint TriCaster live on.
: D

GeekNews
10-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Holding my breath that Mirroring will be supported by Jan 9th :)

stijef
11-08-2012, 04:19 PM

any news about using video over airplay on TCX455 from devices running iOS 6?

SBowie
11-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Nothing to report at this time, sorry.

kanep
11-08-2012, 08:57 PM

There is a $15 app called AirServer (available for Mac or Windows), will allow you to recieve your AirPlay Mirroring signal on a PC/Mac system, then use iVGA to get the signal into the TriCaster.

Yes, I know it requires another computer to make this work, but its something that I know you can do today if you need this support.

http://www.airserverapp.com/

alexoliveira
11-23-2012, 09:03 PM
There is a $15 app called AirServer (available for Mac or Windows), will allow you to recieve your AirPlay Mirroring signal on a PC/Mac system, then use iVGA to get the signal into the TriCaster.

Yes, I know it requires another computer to make this work, but its something that I know you can do today if you need this support.

http://www.airserverapp.com/

Funny enough I tried this just tonight and I found the IVGA to be super, super laggy. Like unusably so. I was wired via a gigabit connection, everything should have been super. Any thoughts on improving IVGA performance?

In other news, I have a few fun tips to offer for Air Play signal aquistion too. Building on the Air Sever solution, I actually use an app called Reflection (reflectionapp.com) and it does a couple things I like (that Air Server may also, I have no idea)

1. Can be run out of full screen as "always on top" layer which opens the door to some low rent composting. If you're like me, you don't like the idea of all that dead space around the 4:3: resolution of the iPad. So what I did as a simple but effective solution was to Photoshop up a background image, played it full screen and then alt+tab into the Reflection App. Now the ipad feed is sitting nicely on top of an attractive BG without any need for heavy external gear. Works like a dream.

2. The reflection app has the option to the actual bezel of the ipad (you get your choice of regular and now mini in black or white) which sounds cheesy but honestly, when you're doing demos, it gives an otherwise weird PIP context, I personally like it but you can turn it off as your needs require. Oddly, if you use IVGA to bring this in, the bezel doesn't come with it... weird. I used a DVI to HDSDI box to bring in my source so this was a non issue for me (and also the afore mentioned heavy lag)

3. The AirPlay Is fully resealable so you can place it inside your BG, which BTW can be a full motion graphic, just play it full screen using QuickTime (or your player of choice) and then again alt+tab into Reflection... Personally the use of motion graphics as a BG makes the production a little snazzier than the current, static, double box options in the V inputs. They are however a quick answer for those who don't want to or can't author their own graphics.

4. Oh and maybe the coolest of all, when you push a second device to the same AirPlay destination, it actually resizes and lays them up side by side. Again maybe Air Server does this too, but I just thought this was particularly awesome. If you're working with software companies who want to do iPad and iPhone version demos the ability to the side by side lay of real time mirroring is mega cool. I can't say enough good things about AirPlay. Full mirroring support has to be released for the TC soon, I turned my PC into a full mirroring receiver for $15...seems to be the problem has been solved already.

5. Lastly, given that the audio is also sent over to my PC as well, it lets me give my talent the ability to push audio to the production without having to do something lame like have a 1/8" cable coming out of the iPad.

I'm sure if you use some of the more robust TCs this can be done in a less assembled manner but if you're like me you're always trying to find a way to get more legs out of a 300 or 450/455 at best.

Cheers,
Alex

Producer | Director | Production Design | Bright Ideas

PIZAZZ
11-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the info Alex. Always good to have options.

studioemily
05-23-2013, 04:55 PM
We have an XD300 and want to be able to show powerpoints through airplay. Is this possible? We currently use a laptop and ivga but i would like to switch to a tablet or ipad. i tried installing ivga on a tablet and it didn't work. So, i need alternative ideas.