PDA

View Full Version : Soft Dynamics

daz1761
10-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Hi

I am currently trying to simulate a Kick Drum from a conventional drum kit. Just to start off I created a simple disc extruded outwards and I used the knife tool to cut an X where the collision/kick drum pedal hammer hits so it will flex like a proper drum kit skin.

As well as that, i would like it to almost be cartoony by the whole kick drum stretching back and forth whenever it gets struck. I have placed a plane collision on the floor, a sphere collision to strike the drum skin and I have selected all points on the outside of the drum hoping it would keep the kick drum in place but sadly I am not getting the results I was hoping for :(

This drum just slides back and forth but it does have an impact on the skin, iv'e even tried changing the floor collision to "Stick" and played around with the SoftFX setting also

I have attached a picture to try and explain things better and explain where I saved the selection also

Thanks in advance

nickdigital
10-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Making a morph target would be easier. Or do this with bones.

daz1761
10-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Making a morph target would be easier. Or do this with bones.

Thanks

Could I trigger the morph with collision object if that possible, could you please give me an idea where to start as I would like to continue with this idea for a project so if i can get one drum reacting with a drum stick I can do the rest

Cheers

nickdigital
10-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks

Could I trigger the morph with collision object if that possible, could you please give me an idea where to start as I would like to continue with this idea for a project so if i can get one drum reacting with a drum stick I can do the rest

Cheers

Not sure about triggering based on a collision. Maybe with nodes you can trigger the animation based on distance from an object. I have to think about this one. Maybe something that's similar to Maya's Set Driven Key would work.

If you have the audio track you could use the track to trigger the morph. You can load in an audio track in the Graph Editor. Your graph will take on the shape of the audio track. I would then bake the graph and then tweak the highs and lows.

dwburman
10-20-2011, 11:07 PM
I'd start with the morph driven by the audio track, although softFX might give you better control over the in and out movement.

One thing you could try is subdividing the drum skin so your collision object has some points to run into. I'm not sure that collisions depend on points instead of polys, but it's worth a shot. You could still use an audio track to move the collision object.

UnCommonGrafx
10-21-2011, 05:10 AM
What they've said.
If you are comfortable in a programming environment, that drum stick and others could be made to follow that audio track in the motions. Relativity would be my recommendations to that.
With it, you can do proximity morphing; same as collision just based on... proximity. It's one of the tutorials in the set: it does star trek doors.
Easily adaptable, though.

daz1761
10-21-2011, 08:06 AM
I'd start with the morph driven by the audio track, although softFX might give you better control over the in and out movement.

One thing you could try is subdividing the drum skin so your collision object has some points to run into. I'm not sure that collisions depend on points instead of polys, but it's worth a shot. You could still use an audio track to move the collision object.

Thanks for that but I am slightly confused, is there any tutorials on getting a simple drum hit audio track into the graph editor? So basically I would subdivide the main drum skin or subdivide and subpatch so its more smooth and natural, add other morphs of the drum flexing etc then do I use the morph mixer or am I going down the wrong path here?

What they've said.
If you are comfortable in a programming environment, that drum stick and others could be made to follow that audio track in the motions. Relativity would be my recommendations to that.
With it, you can do proximity morphing; same as collision just based on... proximity. It's one of the tutorials in the set: it does star trek doors.
Easily adaptable, though.

I am slightly comfortable programming with my If's and Else's etc but that is definitely the road I want to go down as I seen a really cool video my tutor showed me and I will get the link off him soon, but its was lots of drums with a robotic arm with a drum stick on the end and all the drums where all in time with the drum track, the video I was shown was soo out of my league as the drum solo went bazzerk but it would be nice to do something similar and using a humans arm with bones if possible

Thanks

daz1761
10-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Right Guys!

Sorry for all the text in the previous thread, I have started again with a simple disc extruded out wards to represent a kick drum.

I then selected the drum skin poly, subdivided it and subpatched it to make it smooth, i then made 1 morph of the skin bowing inwards and thats it for just an experiment.

I then sent the object to Layout and brought up the graph editor and added a "Modifier" - "Audio Channel". By the way the audio channel consists of a kick drum (8 bars) .Wav 16bit playing at 120bpm I created using Logic Pro.

But all's it does is respond to the frequency wave on the .X position, I have done a screen grab to show people how far I have got. Also Nickdigital mentioned baking which I did find in the "Keys" menu within the graph editor which I selected to experiment with but as I say its baked the .X position and no sign of any morphs except in the "expressions" section but that is very new to me

Thanks in advance

nickdigital
10-21-2011, 11:04 AM
It applied it to .X position because that's the channel you applied the Audio Modifier to. Pick your morph channel instead.

daz1761
10-21-2011, 11:06 AM
It applied it to .X position because that's the channel you applied the Audio Modifier to. Pick your morph channel instead.

Thanks, sorry how do you pick the morph channel?

nickdigital
10-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Make sure you've added Morph Mixer to your object. Then in the Morph Mixer window click on the E next to the morph you want to apply Audio Modifier to.

Or in Graph Editor double click on the morph channel. You can find it in the Channels tab that's in the lower left corner.

daz1761
10-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Make sure you've added Morph Mixer to your object. Then in the Morph Mixer window click on the E next to the morph you want to apply Audio Modifier to.

Or in Graph Editor double click on the morph channel. You can find it in the Channels tab that's in the lower left corner.

That's great, i don't suppose there is a way to listen to the audio as you scrub through the timeline?

Also, for some reason in the graph editor its getting the drum skin to start on a minus value when I would like it to start on a plus value, would I have to bake it first then invert it somehow?

Many thanks

nickdigital
10-21-2011, 01:12 PM
That's great, i don't suppose there is a way to listen to the audio as you scrub through the timeline?

Also, for some reason in the graph editor its getting the drum skin to start on a minus value when I would like it to start on a plus value, would I have to bake it first then invert it somehow?

Many thanks

You can load audio via the Scene Editor.

Yeah, I would bake the curve after applying the Audio Modifier so I can further refine and clean up the animation.

daz1761
10-21-2011, 01:48 PM
You can load audio via the Scene Editor.

Yeah, I would bake the curve after applying the Audio Modifier so I can further refine and clean up the animation.

Excellent, sorry to ask again but how do you go about adding audio to the scene editor?

Thanks

nickdigital
10-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Excellent, sorry to ask again but how do you go about adding audio to the scene editor?

Thanks

See image.

daz1761
10-21-2011, 04:45 PM
See image.

Fantastic!!

Thanks for your help, this gives me a start on how I can approach things now :)

daz1761
10-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Sorry, but can more than 1 audio track be loaded into the scene editor? Its just if I have for example a kick drum sound triggering a kick and a snare sound triggering a snare it would have to be single audio tracks for each object

Also, i have just opened Layout after last night and I had to load the audio file again in the graph and scene editor? Is this because I did not bake the morph channel?

Thanks in advance :)

nickdigital
10-22-2011, 09:12 PM
You can't have more than one audio file loaded in Scene Editor.

As for Layout not remembering to load in the audio in your SE or GE, I'm not sure about that. Might be bug but someone could check to see if they can replicate it. If it is a bug you could submit a bug report to FogBugz.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=73226

If you bake your curve you won't have to use the Audio Modifier so then you wouldn't be dependent on loading the audio into the Graph Editor each time.

daz1761
10-23-2011, 05:24 AM
You can't have more than one audio file loaded in Scene Editor.

As for Layout not remembering to load in the audio in your SE or GE, I'm not sure about that. Might be bug but someone could check to see if they can replicate it. If it is a bug you could submit a bug report to FogBugz.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=73226

If you bake your curve you won't have to use the Audio Modifier so then you wouldn't be dependent on loading the audio into the Graph Editor each time.

Thanks for the info...

Yes, ive just opened Layout and loaded my scene and again the audio track has dissapeared but the modifier plug-in is still set up the way I had it before I last shut down

I think I will bake in future but as this is a dummy run to find out if this animation is possible it doesn't really matter :)

Thanks